The 100% Made From Girders North Britain Football League 2022/23 Chit-Chat Thread

David

• 2 weeks later...

So, after almost 38 years I think this season may finally be our season. We've been saved a few times by league reconstruction, and Falkirk having a shit stadium, but I think we may actually go down this year. 

There's a stink that clubs who are certainties for relegation have, and we're starting to emit said odour.

10 minutes ago, David said:

So, after almost 38 years I think this season may finally be our season. We've been saved a few times by league reconstruction, and Falkirk having a shit stadium, but I think we may actually go down this year. 

There's a stink that clubs who are certainties for relegation have, and we're starting to emit said odour.

Who do you support David?

20 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Who do you support David?

The (not so) mighty Motherwell. 

It seems that fan ownership funding hasn't really been enough to see us through the Covid times, as we've posted a loss of £1 million recently. That may not seem like much to English football fans, but it's a sizeable sum to us. 

Being relegated could potentially mean certain aspects of the club having to go part-time.

It's really unfortunate, but yeah a backer really is needed post covid. 

Fortunately for Motherwell I'd say most teams in the league are beatable so going on a good run isn't out of the question. St Johnstone, Killie and Ross County have all had them. Aberdeen up next is winnable, St Mirren and Hearts at home is tough but Killie away is winnable. I think getting just 4 points from them raises you. I'd also say as long as you don't come bottom you should be okay. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, I fear for Motherwell. Heard a stat yesterday that St Johnstone have won at Fir Park more times this season than Motherwell have and that says it all. They've never been out of the top flight in my lifetime. 

I reckon Ross County will stay up. I've always had a bit of a soft spot for them, mainly because I think it's good for the league to have some geographical diversity. Simon Murray and Eamonn Brophy are great signings you'd have to think and I expect them to do what they did last year and have a much stronger second half of the season. In the Championship, I'd love Ayr or Queen's Park to come up, especially the former. Anyone but Dundee who are the most uninspiring yo yo club imaginable. 

Edited by SpiritOfTheForest

It's really unfortunate, but yeah a backer really is needed post covid. 

Fortunately for Motherwell I'd say most teams in the league are beatable so going on a good run isn't out of the question. St Johnstone, Killie and Ross County have all had them. Aberdeen up next is winnable, St Mirren and Hearts at home is tough but Killie away is winnable. I think getting just 4 points from them raises you. I'd also say as long as you don't come bottom you should be okay. 

@SpiritOfTheForestyeah please not Dundee, but at least they have a grass pitch. I think they will win it though. 

• 2 weeks later...

The thing about Kettlewell is that as a manager on his own he lasted about the same amount of time with Ross County as Hammell did with Motherwell, before he was sacked with them four points adrift at the bottom of the league. His win percentage wasn't all that different either.

I've heard rumblings that we're talking to Tam Courts. I'd be happy with him in the job.

Paul Lambert was linked heavily with Aberdeen, which made me wonder if he was in the running?  Member of the 1991 Scottish Cup winning squad and has credibility albeit he's maybe not the most progressive appointment. On that note though, Hammell appears to have a good reputation as a coach and they may need someone more of Lambert's experience. 

I think those in charge of Partick were expecting them to get beat 4 or 5 at Ibrox and then justify an already planned sacking.

A closer than expected game yesterday has made it look a bit out of nowhere but with 8 league losses out of their last 13 after a decent start to the season, a change to push into the promotion play-offs is probably the right move.

20 hours ago, westlondonmist said:

I'd heard rumours (but no real backing to them) that Partick sacked McCall for speaking to Motherwell without permission. Surely Motherwell would have better aspirations than that. 

I haven't heard anything about McCall to be honest, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was interested. I certainly hope he's not under consideration, as appointing someone like that screams of accepting championship football.

16 hours ago, MungoChutney said:

Paul Lambert was linked heavily with Aberdeen, which made me wonder if he was in the running?  Member of the 1991 Scottish Cup winning squad and has credibility albeit he's maybe not the most progressive appointment. On that note though, Hammell appears to have a good reputation as a coach and they may need someone more of Lambert's experience. 

Lambert joined Motherwell in 1993, the cup win was 1991, but he is held in very high regard by the fans. His most recent stint at Ipswich didn't impress me though, and it seems he's ruled himself out of the running.

7 minutes ago, David said:

I haven't heard anything about McCall to be honest, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was interested. I certainly hope he's not under consideration, as appointing someone like that screams of accepting championship football.

Lambert joined Motherwell in 1993, the cup win was 1991, but he is held in very high regard by the fans. His most recent stint at Ipswich didn't impress me though, and it seems he's ruled himself out of the running.

Yeah to me it would scream of accepting Championship, and I hope Motherwell don't do that. The bottom is still close and I think it would be silly to give up now. 

Lambert wasn't great with Ipswich but I think he would definitely give a bounce to the team. Long term I'm not sure it would be great. He wouldn't be a cheap appointment and I don't think Motherwell are in the position to bring him in. Aberdeen possibly.