The 100% Made From Girders North Britain Football League 2022/23 Chit-Chat Thread

David

22 hours ago, Daaaaaad! said:

In my naivety I wondered if James McFadden would have gone for the job, was there ever any discussion around that or is he comfy on the couch next to other Berti Vogts call-ups?

I think he'd have entertained the idea if they came to him, but he didn't apply. He has hinted that he wouldn't be against a coaching role though.

• 2 weeks later...

The worst part of yesterday’s 9-0 result is a couple of absolutely shocking pieces of officiating are being completely ignored. Our 3rd goal, the referee (McLean who I believe is one of our worst in terms of constantly getting the big decisions wrong) steps across the defender to block him from intercepting the pass. 

And then Jota is only the 2 yards offside for our 4th goal. In the grand scheme of things, these mistakes had no bearing on the result, however it’s never a great look, especially when the officials are under so much pressure for a long list of mistakes already this season (including the previous day when Rangers avoided the most obvious red card you’ll ever witness). 

VAR can’t come quick enough. 

I'm not sure either of those really qualify as shocking to be honest. The offside is actually quite marginal and VAR is there to address those ones. With his positioning, no real issue there, it's not his job to get out the players way, he has to be focused on the position he wants to take up. That said, I'd agree McLean has had his time at this level, missing a red card and showing the completely wrong player a yellow last season should have been it for him and top level games.

The decision in the Rangers Vs Ross County game WAS shocking. No bias or any conspiracy theory at play, just an awful call. 

56 minutes ago, MungoChutney said:

I'm not sure either of those really qualify as shocking to be honest. The offside is actually quite marginal and VAR is there to address those ones. With his positioning, no real issue there, it's not his job to get out the players way, he has to be focused on the position he wants to take up. That said, I'd agree McLean has had his time at this level, missing a red card and showing the completely wrong player a yellow last season should have been it for him and top level games.

The decision in the Rangers Vs Ross County game WAS shocking. No bias or any conspiracy theory at play, just an awful call. 

You’re right about the obstruction not being a shocking “decision” as I think the rules state that play should continue. I guess the word I was looking for on that occasion was “shocking positioning”. He did it a few times in the game and almost got in the way of the ball a few times. 

I think it’s fair to call the offside shocking.  A “quite marginal” call is when they need to draw the lines in the Premier League. There was no need for lines to be drawn as there was almost daylight between the defender and Jota. 

As you say, VAR should hopefully address incidents like that. My only concern is officiating in Scotland is extremely poor and my fear is the video referee will err on the side of their colleagues whenever possible to cover arse. 

I think it's less about Jota's positioning than how close he was to being level with the ball though. It's hard for the assistant because he has to assess that as well as the position of the second last defender.

VAR will work I think and will surprise people by how well it does. Our top referees have pushed for it because they know they won't get high level international appointments without it. For that very reason I expect them to deploy it effectively and consistently like other UEFA countries are doing. 

45 minutes ago, MungoChutney said:

I was really impressed with Aaron Mooy last night. Thought he was very composed. Not as dynamic as McGregor when he plays in the 6 role but very tidy on the ball and kept the pace of the game moving. 

This is exactly what I was going to say. I was expecting Mooy to be another McCarthy, but instead he seems to be everything you'd have expected McCarthy to be. 

I'm absolutely buzzing for Saturday, as a neutral it should be a corker of a game to watch. 

• Paid Members

It was a glorious performance. For all of Rodgers' accolades and praise for his Celtic team being exciting to watch, this team blows that away. I love this team we have at the moment and they're an absolute joy to watch. Rangers were indeed fortunate it was only 4. Roll on Tuesday! I think we'll give Real a good game. 

It could have been more but I'll take 4 nil. I actually think GG plays better than Kyogo against them so taking him out of the game so early was possibly a mistake. Also a midfield of Lundstram, Davis and Kamara? What were they thinking? So slow compared to Celtic's pace. 

Celtic had 9 points after 6 games last season. Obviously points will be dropped but I'm hoping a big as advantage can be had by the break. 

On another note Hearts have hit a rocky patch. Lost 5 from the last 6 in all competitions, I think Europe could end up costing points in the league and Aberdeen will take 3rd.

I'm still a bit unsure about how well we'll adjust to Champions League football. Domestically excellent but I have less confidence in Hart and the back 4 against elite forwards.  That said, Ange deserves the trust and it was interesting to hear him say he expects Europe to be a gradual process.