The 100% Made From Girders North Britain Football League 2022/23 Chit-Chat Thread

David

9 hours ago, MungoChutney said:

I'm still a bit unsure about how well we'll adjust to Champions League football. Domestically excellent but I have less confidence in Hart and the back 4 against elite forwards.  That said, Ange deserves the trust and it was interesting to hear him say he expects Europe to be a gradual process.

We really need a DM for Europe, playing tighter than we do domestic, I know one has been signed but he will be nowhere near match fit. However I thought against Betis and away to Leverkussen we were decent last year and we are a better team than last year. I also think Donetsk are there for the taking. 

• Paid Members

Proud of my team tonight. That first half we really spooked Real Madrid. Great chances from Abada, McGregor and then from Maeda early in the second half illustrating exactly why the old cliche about having to take your chances at this level is a true one. But that first half, you can tell Real knew they were in a game. Second half their quality shone through. However, Celtic can hold their heads up high as that was by no means a disgrace. Onwards to Leipzig and Warsaw (destinations wise).

Although Shakhtar beating Leipzig 4-1 away from home isn't one I foresaw coming! Still believe we have a fighting chance of getting through this group and a great chance of European football after Christmas. 

We’re definitely improving under Ange but I think the second half showed that we’re a long way from competing with the top teams in Europe. And ultimately that’s where we want to be. 

Depending on your opinion on whether we can finish 2nd or 3rd in the group, the other result either went our way or it didn’t. Personally I’d have preferred Leipzig to have won. 

13 hours ago, MrK said:

We’re definitely improving under Ange but I think the second half showed that we’re a long way from competing with the top teams in Europe. And ultimately that’s where we want to be.

Celtic won't be competing with the likes of Real Madrid regularly unless they find a huge cash injection from somewhere. It's a finance game, in much the same way as Motherwell will never be competing with Celtic or Rangers.

Sure, you'll see the odd game where there's some success, but consistently? No chance. Celtic need an oil-rich nation to back them, then they'll be able to compete.

21 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

So, um, yeah...I genuinely didn't expect Rangers to be thumped that badly, given their recent European performances. I know they've lost a few players, but even so...

And now the queen dying it’s a bad week for their fans. 

3 hours ago, RedRooster said:

So, um, yeah...I genuinely didn't expect Rangers to be thumped that badly, given their recent European performances. I know they've lost a few players, but even so...

So did Ajax to be fair, who also lost their manager. 

So do they now have to put up a picture of Charles in their changing room? 

• 2 weeks later...

Good result last night, 2 draws is a group winner for Scotland. Second would likely get you a play off spot as I expect all group a teams to qualify anyway and some group b winners. 

It does annoy me we couldn't do it in June. But that team had Copper, Hanley and Robertson in defence. Tierney showed last night why he should be LB for Scotland, I actually can't remember the last time Robertson was good for Scotland. 

• Paid Members

Who would have known that we play much better when we let players play in their natural position instead of somewhat shoehorning them into the side. Started slowly but last night turned into a great performance. Thought Hickey played superbly. That season in Serie A has done him a world of good. Also nice to see all the subs coming on and the side not missing a beat. Ireland on Saturday night should be fun!

1 hour ago, SpiritOfTheForest said:

Who would have known that we play much better when we let players play in their natural position instead of somewhat shoehorning them into the side. Started slowly but last night turned into a great performance. Thought Hickey played superbly. That season in Serie A has done him a world of good. Also nice to see all the subs coming on and the side not missing a beat. Ireland on Saturday night should be fun!

Yeah, Taylor, Fraser and Dykes all came on and were a threat later on. Hickey was an early sub, hopefully he carries on improving. 

The 3 nil loss to Ireland was embarrassing. I think we will beat them. A win and Ukraine dropping points would mean a group win. It would be interesting being in group a although probably not fun. 

First half tonight Scotland were poor, although should have had a penalty and Parrot sent off. Decent enough in the second half where I thought Taylor was quality and Christie improved alot too. 

Ireland however are absolute dogshit. I'm still embarrassed we lost to them 3 nil. Bully boys with no skill, at times it was like watching Celtic vs Kilmarnock. They tried to bully Scotland into a mistake and then score on the counter. It produced 2 decent chances, somehow Parrot failed to score his. 

Edited by westlondonmist

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

I think Aberdeen might have just pulled off one of the biggest bottle jobs I've ever seen. 2-1 up and then conceding in the 94th and 97th minutes to lose 3-2. Rotten. Michael Beale didn't just get out of a hole there, he clambered out of the bottom of a well like that lassie from The Ring.