Fraudulent thieving Bastards!

DEF

• Paid Members

My Mum's just been scammed out of £1500 because some utter wanker has contacted her via text claiming to be me having dropped my phone in the bog and needing to borrow money to pay a bill! They had a full blown conversation with her pretending to be me.

She sent the money and of course they asked for more at which point she phoned me. I've legged it over and called the bank for her as she doesn't hear so well and is a bit shaken.

They can't do anything until 9am when the fraud departments open. Also reported it to the police fraud website after being told to do so by the police.

Absolute utter cunts.

Is there any chance she'll get the money back?

Edited by DEF

• Paid Members

Yeah I'm fine thanks. Just don't want her to feel bad about it. She's been the victim of a crime but she definitely felt like it was her in the wrong when it absolutely wasn't. She seems ok now. It's pretty detailed manipulation. The cunts.

Not sure if it’s of any comfort but Jacqui Oakley tweeted this yesterday and they’re reporting it on BBC. It seems a lot of people have been scammed by this so hopefully it’ll make recovering money a bit easier. Hope you’re all ok. 

This is horrible. My mum almost fell for the Amazon Prime scam. She's been out a lot less in the last couple of years with Covid and illness so really relies on her Kindle. If I hadn't arrived at her house while she was on the phone she'd have given them her card details. 

I think if it's a scam, particularly a well known one, the bank will do what they can to recover and ultimately refund the money even if they can't pull it back. 

• Paid Members

Just got off the phone with the banks fraud department and they say they will be back in touch within 14 days. Was hard seeing her break down when asked if there was any reason her judgement was impaired. She's got a nasty cold and is still mourning my Dad.

Fortunately she's in a position where she's not reliant on that money but she very well could have been.

• Paid Members
56 minutes ago, DEF said:

asked if there was any reason her judgement was impaired. 

What an absolutely abhorrent question, who the fuck actually cares? Someone has taken advantage of someone else, don't make them feel bad about it.

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, Teedy Kay said:

What an absolutely abhorrent question, who the fuck actually cares? Someone has taken advantage of someone else, don't make them feel bad about it.

Yeah I thought it was a bit off. Presumably it's a standard question when they go through their fraud protocol.

• Moderators

It will be to try to identity whether she is a vulnerable customer or not, as they will be able to vary their processes and do things a bit differently in some cases if they think she's at greater risk of financial harm. There's a lot of focus on this in banking regs recently. 

Sounds like it may have not been asked in the most sensitive way but the intention behind it is good.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Teedy Kay said:

Banks have started asking very odd questions why you're taking money out. Freezing your account for two hours. Very odd.

I tried to use the textphone to phone these people (speech slightly affected by stroke) and it was relaying everything they were saying in text (and in the background)  Some of the stuff was pretty disgusting to be honest.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

My misuss' grandmother has been done a few times by scams. They call and say insurance has run out, usually on home or TV. She pays up, way more than insurance would be anyway. 

It's a cunt, these people are cunts and they normally know the age of these people so that they know who to target. I do wonder if they can tell she's old by her voice, as I've had calls end as soon as I answer. 

If it makes you feel better she got the money back on every occasion but I have no doubt that she will be targeted again. 

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, DEF said:

was there any reason her judgement was impaired.

Yes. Yes there was. Her judgement was impaired because she was targeted and manipulated by someone who has developed the skills necessary to cause someone's judgement to be impaired. That's what they do. That's how the scam works. It's not just an opportunist asking for money on the off-chance she'll hand it over.

Back when I worked in insurance I dealt with a lady that had two "policemen" come to her door, investigating counterfeit money. They convinced her to withdraw £5000 from the bank, and then told her that they had to confiscate it as evidence. When you read that out of context, it sounds ridiculous, and people question how stupid someone must be to withdrawn £5000 from the bank, and then immediately hand it over for inspection to see if it's real or not. These two scammers spent over an hour with this woman in her house before they went to the bank. They had the whole patter and cover story worked out, fictitious histories for the pair of them so they could talk to her about their police work and further convince her who they were.
The reason they got rumbled was because she went back to the bank to make a second withdrawal of £5000 and the teller suspected something was wrong.

Derren Brown asks someone to hand over their wallet, and it's his superior powers of influence at play, and the other person has no chance. When some scrote does the same thing, suddenly the victim is stupid and gullible.