Shit Song of the Day (yes Levellers)

Devon Malcolm

54 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Could also nominate this for a Shit Video of the Day thread as well. What the fuck is this.

Christ. That just reminds  me of Sunday morning hangovers when I started seeing my ex. She’d watch “As If” and that trumpet sounded the clarion of hell and all that came with it. 

There’s a video of it being performed at some corporate do and it’s genuinely one of the worst things I’ve ever seen and I’ve seen Bread. 

Any version of Dancing In The Moonlight. Not Thin Lizzy’s ‘Dancing In The Moonlight (It’s Caught Me In It’s Spotlight)’ (although admittedly that’s far from their best song either) but the Boffalongo song made popular by King Harvest in 1972, and popularised again by Toploader in 2000, a staple of the pretend middle-class dinner party 

Just when you think it couldn’t get any worse, this version by Jubël ft. NEIMY (released in 2018) gives it the twee, breathy vocal treatment, although it doesn’t go full hipster ad as it has more than an acoustic guitar in it. It’s just come on the song rotation at work and it’s fucking hideous 

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

In all honesty, it's not the shitness of this that's flabbergasted me. It's the discovery that they tried to redo the Monkees in 1987, complete with a 13 episode TV show.

Pope John Paul II is in town and the boys are caught up in the Pope-mania. They discover that the Pope has left his guitar at their diner, so they must run downtown to return it to him. Along the way, they begin to wonder if anyone really realizes the significance of the Pope's visit as they encounter shady characters who are exploiting the Pope's image to make a fast buck. Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini portrays a street huckster.

With plots like these, how did it miss?

• Paid Members
On 6/22/2022 at 3:25 PM, WyattSheepMask said:

Just when you think it couldn’t get any worse, this version by Jubël ft. NEIMY (released in 2018) gives it the twee, breathy vocal treatment, although it doesn’t go full hipster ad as it has more than an acoustic guitar in it.

Dreadful. Mrs raid has this on her playlist. Possible grounds for separation. Puts me in mind of THIS bastard, although I loved the original ;

• Paid Members

I remember borrowing the album on cassette when I was sick from primary school. That Glenn Miller medley thing on the end was a whole separate track on there. Whenever I go to see the Lancashire Hotpots with my Mum they play Jive Bunny over the PA as the place is filling up, and during the interval.