Roman Reigns vs The Rock

No. Might be better for the titles if they were involved though.

It would be the biggest match on the card. Your titles are going to come off as an afterthought if they're on the line in any other match. 

• Paid Members

it wouldn't need the belt, though I can see the advantage to adding the belt into the mix - the story would/should be built around the Tribal Chief/Head Of The Table stuff, incorporating the wider family dynamics, and Reigns having the belt gives him the argument that the title is symbolic of him being the Head Of The Table. You also get the easy set-up of "I've beaten everyone who's challenged me for this belt, who's next?". 

Outside of kayfabe/storytelling, the more important questions are whether having the title on the line makes the result too obvious, and whether by getting the belt off of Reigns before this match they would be able to build up a separate main event level title match alongside Reigns/Rock.

The broader issue is just that they've seemingly put all their eggs in this basket for at least a year, probably more likely two now, with no guarantee that the match will happen, and really nowhere for Reigns' character or push to go but a (likely underwhelming) shock loss elsewhere. I've seen a few people suggest Cody Rhodes as the guy to beat Reigns, but the clock's ticking on how much Cody's momentum will carry that decision, and the fact that they just had him wrestle for the US Title suggests to me that they don't see Cody at that level.

• Paid Members

From a booking point of view and building as many attractions as possible, it doesnt need the title. Plus the title usually bollocks up suspension of disbelief if one guy isnt going to be around to defend it e.g. Cena vs Rock at Mania 29 was almost pointless happening, so obvious was the result. However, it would absolutely be to the detriment of the title and champion if it wasnt on the line. Punk vs Jericho at Mania 28 was made to feel completely midcard underneath Cena vs Rock, as was Wyatt vs Orton at 33 beneath Undertaker vs Reigns. It's bullshit to make any other singles match look more important than your big belt at WrestleMania.

Edited by air_raid

How many times are we going to get “The Rock likely to face Reigns next year”, as a clickbait article?

At this point, it’s been “rumoured” for “next years Wrestlemania” for about 5 or 6 years. How long until we just accept that it’s more of WWE wishful thinking, than a rumour?

The only way I see it happening is if his career in Hollywood dies, which is unlikely to happen anytime soon.

I think what we’re likely to get is the match we all REALLY want to see and that’s a Reigns/Brock rematch.

Edited by Matthew

If it is booked, it should either be for both titles or minimum one title (with the other title booked a different night).

It's the biggest match possible in all of wrestling, they might not need the title - but the title definitely needs them. 

You need at least one of those big boy titles on the line (my preference would be for both to be honest) and present it as the proper main event, between proper main eventers fighting for a proper title they give a shit about.

If you book Cody/KO and Drew/Lashley (for arguments sake) for world titles you just make those matches look stupid.

The only way you could have one or both titles defended elsewhere is probably if it's in a Brock match. I'd buy Lesnar Vs Cody as an Saturday night match or.of he is back and they care Big E challenging Brock . I honestly don't think WWE care if the outcome is obvious as it would be Rocks last match for the title against his cousin all of which the media would lap up. 

Personally, I think it's happening, this year gone was the first one it could have happened since 2019 when Roman was in comeback mode. It didn't work out for whatever reason if they even tried. That saidnifnit doesn't happen next year it's never happening. I can't think what else they actually could do at this point unless it's Charlotte Vs Roman with all the belts on the line 

That mention on Rock’s sitcom surely means its more likely than not next year?

Its so strange that Rock’s comeback opposite Cena was a big past vs future dream match. And now he’s back to do it again a full ten years on with a new future.

4 minutes ago, Pinc said:

That mention on Rock’s sitcom surely means its more likely than not next year?

Its so strange that Rock’s comeback opposite Cena was a big past vs future dream match. And now he’s back to do it again a full ten years on with a new future.

Really, it should be Cena/Reigns as the next huge past vs future Wrestlemania match, but obviously it has already been done

Hogan vs Rock 2002, Rock vs Cena 2012/3, Cena vs Reigns 2023

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, The King of Old School said:

Really, it should be Cena/Reigns as the next huge past vs future Wrestlemania match, but obviously it has already been done

Remember when they wasted Cena vs Reigns AND Lesnar vs Brawn, instead of saving them for a grander stage. by throwing them out on a B show I don't even remember the name of?

32 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Remember when they wasted Cena vs Reigns AND Lesnar vs Brawn, instead of saving them for a grander stage. by throwing them out on a B show I don't even remember the name of?

That was No Mercy 2017. There was some stupid business reason I think but I can't remember. It might have also been part of the "plan" leading Roman to his loss at Mania

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, BomberPat said:

The fact that they just had him wrestle for the US Title suggests to me that they don't see Cody at that level.

You're far more learned than me when it comes to running shows/booking conventions etc, but when they first announced the match I didn't see it as that - if anything I thought it was the reverse in the case of Austin Theory getting to share the big stage with Cody. You can rightly argue that the US title is a level down from the top gongs, but in this case I thought it was fairly apt - Roman didn't appear on the show and may not appear on the next few shows depending on what the score is with his new deal/supposed three-month vacation, so it makes sense that Vince pet-project (both from a character and literal booker's perspective) would have a brighter spotlight put on him than perhaps other US champions would be afforded. Also, not to emote any comparisons with his ill-fated AEW feud with Anthony Ogogo, but the aesthetic of the American Nightmare having the US title would be...well, something twats like me would pick up on and be fine with. You'd get AEW fans laughing at the fact that he left to get a 'new piece of hardware' only to wind up with another secondary title though, too. 

I don't think there was ever an inclination that were actually going to go with the title switch here - all to pop a rating and used as a vehicle to continue the feud with Seth of course. But I would be really surprised if they don't see him as a top tier calibre signing and have big things planned for him. 

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I've seen a few people suggest Cody Rhodes as the guy to beat Reigns, but the clock's ticking on how much Cody's momentum will carry that decision, and the fact that they just had him wrestle for the US Title suggests to me that they don't see Cody at that level.

I wouldn’t worry about that. US title match was a storyline match on a forgettable episode of Raw. As long as he gets reactions and keeps winning/stays protected they can put him into the main event when it’s time and nobody will care about him pissing about prior with lesser belts. Brock Lesnar challenged for the Intercontinental title on PPV a month before he won his first World title, for instance, as a guy who went from debut to champion in roughly the same time as its proposed Cody could go from return to champion.