Roman Reigns vs The Rock

I 100% get why WWE would want to book The Rock versus Roman Reigns in a WrestleMania headliner and I can also understand why both would want to do it. 

It's a natural matchup with a built-in story and the biggest one WWE could put together. 

But I have absolutely no desire to watch it. 

Dwayne just turned fifty and hasn't worked a proper match in a decade. I know he's The Rock and he's fucking brilliant and all that, but I have a feeling the match could go very badly if they decided to go for a 20+ minute epic. He was blowing out his arse and pulling all sorts of muscles against Cena ten years ago. God knows how he'd get through something similar now that's older and, I assume, in worse condition still carrying all that muscle around. 

It will make a great poster and the build on TV will be good (if it happens), I just pray they keep the actual match under 10 minutes and maybe try and do something a bit more smoke-and-mirrors like with Austin's return. 

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, SaitoRyo said:

Dwayne just turned fifty and hasn't worked a proper match in a decade. I know he's The Rock and he's fucking brilliant and all that, but I have a feeling the match could go very badly if they decided to go for a 20+ minute epic. He was blowing out his arse and pulling all sorts of muscles against Cena ten years ago.

Booking/obvious result of the rematch aside, they were very good matches though.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, The King of Old School said:

29 wasn't great in my opinion, probably because the crowd was dead for it and the result was obvious.

That's a pretty succinct review of the whole show to be honest. I wasn't interested in Lesnar/HHH or Punk/Taker either, three most predictable "top of Mania" matches ever. Of course, Kane beat Randy Orton underneath to bust everyone's coupon.

I remembered both matches being pretty pedestrian but I rewatched 28 a few months ago and was surprised at how well it held up. Also surprised at how successfully they fostered a 'the world is watching' vibe off a pack of pretty mediocre celebs. I think Puff Daddy did Rock's ring announcement or something.

Given that Cena hadn't quite broken through yet at that point, I wonder was there any discussion of turning him heel that night by cheating to beat Rock or something. They were never going to have more eyes on him than that night.

Yeah, the first Rock/Cena match was great fun, but the second wasn't up to much and had a very obvious outcome. 

I feel like Rock/Roman could be a great spectacle, I just really don't think Rock can do a long, epic match that a lot of fans might expect. He's older, is still carrying around a ridiculous amount of muscle and hasn't been in a ring in a decade.

I'd love to be proved wrong, mind.

• Paid Members
55 minutes ago, Pinc said:

I remembered both matches being pretty pedestrian but I rewatched 28 a few months ago and was surprised at how well it held up. Also surprised at how successfully they fostered a 'the world is watching' vibe off a pack of pretty mediocre celebs. I think Puff Daddy did Rock's ring announcement or something.

Given that Cena hadn't quite broken through yet at that point, I wonder was there any discussion of turning him heel that night by cheating to beat Rock or something. They were never going to have more eyes on him than that night.

Sorry, genuine question, as I may have misunderstood: broken through in what sense? Cena had been an established main-eventer for some time.

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Sorry, genuine question, as I may have misunderstood: broken through in what sense? Cena had been an established main-eventer for some time.

Mainstream.

• Paid Members

Ah, I see. Yes, fair enough.

It's still not quite filtered through to me yet that he's done that, because I haven't seen anything he's in - not on purpose, just hadn't got round to it. 

Edited by Carbomb

7 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Ah, I see. Yes, fair enough.

It's still not quite filtered through to me yet that he's done that, because I haven't seen anything he's in - not on purpose, just hadn't got round to it. 

You should, he's great.

I much prefer actor Cena to actor Rock; weirdly for a man who always seemed to take himself far too seriously, Cena is a tremendous comic actor.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

You should, he's great.

I much prefer actor Cena to actor Rock; weirdly for a man who always seemed to take himself far too seriously, Cena is a tremendous comic actor.

Yeh, I've been told that. I'm not surprised; I wasn't a fan of him as a wrestling character, but I always appreciated his actual ability - he's definitely one of the best, and he's a very likable guy. So it comes as no surprise to hear that translated over to film. Want to see The Suicide Squad - I was told he was a riot as Peacekeeper.

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

Yeh, I've been told that. I'm not surprised; I wasn't a fan of him as a wrestling character, but I always appreciated his actual ability - he's definitely one of the best, and he's a very likable guy. So it comes as no surprise to hear that translated over to film. Want to see The Suicide Squad - I was told he was a riot as Peacekeeper.

More so in the Peacemaker spin-off - he's really great in it, definitely strong enough to carry a series.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

Peacemaker, that's it! Duh. Thanks.

Also, I think we had plenty of glimpses of Big Match John's comic ability in wrestling - the first thing that comes to mind is him as the commentator for Southpaw Regional Wrestling.

"I miss my father."

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members

Yeah, I haven't seen much of him but was convinced to watch that Peacemaker series and he's a delight in it. Incredibly funny throughout and made me want to see him in more stuff (and a Season 2)