AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

2.0 are perfect. Daddy magics eyes are 80s coke and the flick Comb from cool hand and the flinch from anyone near them is great comedy. Never gonna be your champions, but your division is much better for having them in it. Old dug hammerer needs a Taste of the employment line than 2.0 needing to change a thing 

• Paid Members

I love 2.0 and think they are criminally underused. Lately that could be put down to Daddy Magic having the shoulder injury, but I'm glad to see they have something to get their teeth into again with Hook and Action Bronson at the moment.

Menard & Parker should be all over Rampage at the very least, if there isn't going to be much time carved out for them weekly on Dynamite. 

• Paid Members

Saw this floating around online. Love it.

66AC064C-0FB7-42D3-98AF-F9178C12F436.thumb.jpeg.12c102eb734311d1900ab5f071b7befd.jpeg

They’ve perfectly nailed the balance of Attitude Era magazines where it’s something I would absolutely want to read, yet something I would absolutely be embarrassed to buy, refusing to make eye contact as they put it through the till.

Edited by Supremo

I found Daddy Magic's accent and tone in promos absolutely irritating as fuck. He also still looks and built just odd. Reminds me of Ram Man from Masters of the Universe.

However after watching Dark Elevation with him on commmentary I found him far more palatable and dare I even say quite funny.

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

spacer.png

Factionitis. 

Did you watch the promo or take a screengrab? Because this was literally explained who they were, and unlike many fractions they are solo and there is a purpose. I thought it was very well done.

As for the rest of the show, very much treading water for Arthur Ashe next week. Both qualifier matches were enjoyable, but nearly other match felt like it was on the card to fill time. The tag match with the Luchas, as enjoyable as it was, felt pointless knowing the belts are on the line next week. Skipped Jungle Boy/Lethal and the woman’s match was fine.

Powerhouse Hobbs gives a run to Mox in bleeding every match. I don’t know how he always bleeds in his mouth when he hasn’t taken an offensive move. But more Hobbs and Starks? Yes please!

2 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Did you watch the promo or take a screengrab?

Watched the promo then banged 'AEW the firm' into Google image search. 

Still think they seem a bit shite. 

• Paid Members

A bit of a middling show but perfectly fine I suppose. AEW seemed to take "there should be more video packages" a bit too far. Felt like there were more video packages than live action almost. Some of the booking to set up matches at Grand Slam was very clunky. Orange Cassidy sneak attacking someone is completely out of character for example.

I didn't hugely care for the match but I think Swerve and Lee are actually a pretty great heel team. You have Swerve as the incredibly cocky, sleazy and overly flashy little guy and Lee actually being fairly immobile these days actually adds to the team, in contrast to Swerve Lee's just the miserable, grumpy massive immovable wall that crushes people. Anything his opponents do pretty much just bounces off him. It's the perfect fit.

It's a short turnaround from All Out to Grand Slam, but you have to wonder what the original plans were going to be?

The Fall Out from All Out doesn't excuse what's booked a week to go. There are so many people that wouldn't have been involved in the World or Trios title situation that aren't booked.

Dynamite Grand Slam

1. World Title: Danielson v. Moxley
  2. Tag Titles: Swerve in Our Glory (c) v. The Acclaimed
  3. All-Atlantic: PAC (c) v. Orange Cassidy
  4. Interim Women's: Toni Storm (c) v. Athena v. Britt Baker v. Serena Deeb

Rampage Grand Slam

1. HOOK & Action Bronson v. 2point0

Maybe it’s just me, but I thought that show was crap. 

MJF’s promo was weak by his standards. He’s been forced to pivot sharply, and I don’t think he’s quite there yet. He’s back to resorting to cheap heat, and it feels like he’s regressed as a character. Again, the pivot probably explains why.

As far as Stokely’s promo goes, I thought that was a rambling mess. Not associating them with MJF is a huge mistake, and giving them individual goals doesn’t make them feel like a unit. And why would anyone target the All-Atlantic title over the World title or even the TNT belt? Heck, even the ROH title would be a more logical goal. 

And why book a random tag title match heading into Grand Slam? 

Perhaps, had all gone to plan, we’d have had several hot programmes heading into Arthur Ashe, but AEW has felt lukewarm throughout most of 2022. They seem to be struggling to make their big programmes special, and when they’ve actually managed that (eg. Punk/Moxley), they’ve made big mistakes, cooling the programme down. I hope they refocus soon, but I feel like I’ve been feeling this way for a while. The matches are generally excellent, but  wrestling is about more than the ring work.

15 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

The matches are generally excellent, but  wrestling is about more than the ring work.

Yeah I think this sums up a lot of what's been going on lately. You know going into a PPV you'll get a stacked card and some really great matches but what's been lacking is a lot of the storyline and emotional investment. Ironically it often feels like ROH did to me - I always knew I'd enjoy the matches but I rarely got invested on an emotional level.

And that's not to say AEW never gets it right. In fact they've proven a good number of times they're capable of delivering the whole package. That's why it's so disappointing when they seemingly fail in certain areas and just rely on good matches just because.