AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

4 minutes ago, Pinc said:

Aye this was how I saw it. The commentators said Page wasn’t in the building so it came across as Punk being angsty and paranoid about a potential Page challenge, rather than Page ducking him.

Even if it was a ‘shoot’ it still worked within the canon of the show. And its put some heat under another Page/Punk match when previously there was none. Good bit of business for me. The best in that segment to be honest given Moxley’s tepid response and those honking punches.

Put heat under A match that is apparently not in plan at the expense of warming up the one he is having. Make it make sense haha 

1 minute ago, Pinc said:

Aye this was how I saw it. The commentators said Page wasn’t in the building so it came across as Punk being angsty and paranoid about a potential Page challenge, rather than Page ducking him.

I'm pretty sure it isn't the first time in AEW that someone has issued a challenge to someone that isn't there that night. Punk's done a version of it before during the Kingston feud. Another guy he took shots at to set up a potential match.

It's been standard practice for AEW to have the alternating interview segments where someone runs their opponent down rather than the face-to-face confrontations.

7 minutes ago, Louch said:

Put heat under A match that is apparently not in plan at the expense of warming up the one he is having. Make it make sense haha 

Question no one can answer at the moment. What's happening with Hangman then? No.1 Contender (although FTR prove that's kind of meaningless :(). He's not in the Trios tournament. The Elite v. Undisputed Elite match up 3on3 and doesn't need Hangman involved.

If he doesn't end up involved in All Out in some way. Grand Slam is 3 weeks later and will be needing a title challenger.

This is the second big show on the bounce that has been mired in shooty bollocks in the home straight. I don't want to give a shit whether Punk was firing shots for real; Moxley's been on a tear as the (don't call it) Interim champion and THAT's the threat. Mox has been building that belt for months with stellar matches and killer promos, and Punk turns up after crocking himself two days into his reign and puts a pin in the lot. Everyone asking "Where's Poochie Page?" is not good. It buries Page, buries the title angle, and throws everything up in the air. My anticipation for Punk vs Mox has gone from looking forward to a war between two veterans with something to prove, to whether a half-decent match is even going to take place.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Daddymagic said:

Ratings in general are a disappointment. 

They were doing higher viewers and demos during the pandemic era when they had NXT as competition.

Not true. During the Pandemic the average viewer number was 700k-ish, these days they seem stuck on the 900k number. Not bad growth in viewership for just over a year.

But how do they grow that number? I have no idea. Not being in the US I have no idea how Dynamite is marketed or if it is even marketed at all. But you'd think that if the audience is there (which there's no guarantees it is) a combination of consistently good weekly TV with popular characters and strong, big marketing would lead to the audience gradually increasing. I don't think there's any quick fixes or ways to rapidly boost the numbers. Additionally,who watches live TV these days? The catch-up/later viewing figures aren't released as far as I'm aware - they could be doing massive numbers with people watching later in the week.

And even if 900K doesn't seem much, Dynamite is consistently in the top 5 in ratings/demo every week for over a year now and TBS aren't paying much for the shows so they should be fairly happy with a cheap show on 52 weeks a year that draws a reliable number.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, CavemanLynn said:

This is the second big show on the bounce that has been mired in shooty bollocks in the home straight. I don't want to give a shit whether Punk was firing shots for real; Moxley's been on a tear as the (don't call it) Interim champion and THAT's the threat. Mox has been building that belt for months with stellar matches and killer promos, and Punk turns up after crocking himself two days into his reign and puts a pin in the lot. Everyone asking "Where's Poochie Page?" is not good. It buries Page, buries the title angle, and throws everything up in the air. My anticipation for Punk vs Mox has gone from looking forward to a war between two veterans with something to prove, to whether a half-decent match is even going to take place.

Yeah I agree with this. In minutes Mox went from being an absolute killer to Punk shitting on him as the third best member of The Shield. Why isn't Punk selling the threat of a man who's been choking out his opponents and leaving them in pools of blood nearly every week? The story for this should be "can the returning veteran hero CM Punk beat the blood thirsty unstoppable warrior Jon Moxley?" not "woah, did CM Punk shoot on Hangman Page for some reason? I wonder if MJF is turning up?".

I really hope they have something special up their sleeves for this.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, RedRooster said:

I honestly don't think it was a huge problem at all. The announcers said they didn't think he was there, so if anything it made Punk look cowardly, while potentially acting as a red herring for whatever might go down next week. "Wrestler deliberately calls out wrestler who isn't there" is an angle that's as old as the hills. 

Sure, except John Silver tweeted out a picture of him in catering. He WAS there. The announcers said they weren't sure he was there, and thankfully he wasn't on the rest of the show, so it's not a killer, but it is out of order from Punk (and stupid instincts from Silver). 

You're right that we need to see what they do with it though, if Hanger comes out next week (is he on rampage with the DO tonight?) and explains that he was pooing or something, there may be a way out of it, but I'm not sure they can claim he wasn't there now.

In minutes Mox went from being an absolute killer to Punk shitting on him as the third best member of The Shield. Why isn't Punk selling the threat of a man who's been choking out his opponents and leaving them in pools of blood nearly every week?

I go back and forth on this. My initial response was that story from Jericho's book where he buries the old guy in a promo and the old guy says "either you win and you beat an old guy, or I win, and I am winning, and you lost to a loser". The other hand is it's kind of Punk's schtick. We all know that Mox isn't bad, he's an absolute killer, Punk can't convince us otherwise and in the "if this were real" stakes, would surely be the bookie's favourite. Mox's "yes you're very witty but in real life that's a microphone and it can't save you" line was excellent and oh no I've just realised Punk is going to beat him by hitting him with a microphone.

Edited by Duke

• Paid Members

If Punk really does have personal issues with people in AEW, it's a weird coincidence that they're the three most beloved babyfaces on the roster and two of them had already started suggesting Punk is secretly a 'politicking piece of shit' heel who convinced the fans he's a good guy.

Every group of friends has one mate who’s a Cunt. If you don’t have a cunt in your group, then it’s you. Seems that works in wrestling too 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Chris B said:

If Punk really does have personal issues with people in AEW, it's a weird coincidence that they're the three most beloved babyfaces on the roster and two of them had already started suggesting Punk is secretly a 'politicking piece of shit' heel who convinced the fans he's a good guy.

I knew about Eddie Kingston, but I had no idea that Punk had personal issues with Danhausen and Dax Harwood

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Duke said:

I knew about Eddie Kingston, but I had no idea that Punk had personal issues with Danhausen and Dax Harwood

He just had to pay Danhausen something like $60k for stealing his finisher on BTE, so that'll probably be a feud.

Here's something I genuinely want to see, even if I think it's unlikely.

Whenever Hangman vs Punk happens, MJF makes his comeback and interferes, costing Punk the title, with Hangman unaware. The following week, Hangman vacates - he doesn't want to win the title without earning it. The title is vacant, pending a rematch... which Punk wins by cheating.

3 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Here's something I genuinely want to see, even if I think it's unlikely.

Whenever Hangman vs Punk happens, MJF makes his comeback and interferes, costing Punk the title, with Hangman unaware. The following week, Hangman vacates - he doesn't want to win the title without earning it. The title is vacant, pending a rematch... which Punk wins by cheating.

You know how people have been saying for years that WWE don’t know how to book a babyface? How is this going to do anything for Hangman other than make him look a complete pillock