The Tony Khan Is A Twat Thread

Keith Houchen

• Paid Members

@Hannibal Scorch Your defence of what Khan has done here really is disappointing. At best, I'd like to think it's an extreme form of tribalism on your part, something that you are unfortunately guilty of a lot in on-topic. For someone who has gone on record as pointing out and criticising a number of Disney's shitty practices despite being a fan of them, to see you here making excuses for Khan's conduct during an AEW press conference doesn't tally up. If HHH had done that while fielding questions about Matt Riddle, I'm 99% sure your response would not have been the same.

Khan is a terminally online man. He knew what he was going to get during this presser. For him to dress up like that at any point during it was incredibly inappropriate and a terrible look for him and his company. I just do not understand why you are making excuses for him. There are none.

• Paid Members
Just now, Devon Malcolm said:

@Hannibal Scorch Your defence of what Khan has done here really is disappointing. At best, I'd like to think it's an extreme form of tribalism on your part, something that you are unfortunately guilty of a lot in on-topic. For someone who has gone on record as pointing out and criticising a number of Disney's shitty practices despite being a fan of them, to see you here making excuses for Khan's conduct during an AEW press conference doesn't tally up. If HHH had done that while fielding questions about Matt Riddle, I'm 99% sure your response would not have been the same.

Khan is a terminally online man. He knew what he was going to get during this presser. For him to dress up like that at any point during it was incredibly inappropriate and a terrible look for him and his company. I just do not understand why you are making excuses for him. There are none.

Nick James probably summed it up better than I did. I think there is 2 things here. Had the Hausman accusations not come out Friday and that was not what a lot of people were focusing on afterwards (and I think the crowd made their feelings towards Jericho known at the event), Khan wearing Toni Storms stuff wouldn’t have been even discussed. Or just lightly. 

But  I think that it’s right to question why he decided to play the fun boss role instead of being more serious considering the accusations going around. And whilst I still maintain asking him that question at that time was wrong (not because of how he was dressed, but because of the purpose of the presser), he is stupid for even letting that happen in the first place.

Is it poor management around him? Is it lack of PR skills? Is it because of his (alleged) neurodivergence? Is it because he just wants to be the fun boss? Or is it because he’s a twat? Let’s be honest could be any number of those.

I don’t think I was trying to defend him per say, I started by just trying to point out the context, but it was a poor look, poor response, and I would hope in the coming days and weeks we’ll actually get a proper response as to what, if any, actions are taken,

3 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Nick James probably summed it up better than I did. I think there is 2 things here. Had the Hausman accusations not come out Friday and that was not what a lot of people were focusing on afterwards (and I think the crowd made their feelings towards Jericho known at the event), Khan wearing Toni Storms stuff wouldn’t have been even discussed. Or just lightly. 

Yeah, and had the Savile allegations not come out we'd all be watching Jim'll Fix It repeats on Dave.

Also, there's a really interesting philosophical point about whether you see it as a press conference about sexual assault allegations or not. Crisis comms people would say it definitely was, or you should at least treat it as it was and any question not about that is a bonus.

Khan would have been way better served treating it like it was.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Yeah, and had the Savile allegations not come out we'd all be watching Jim'll Fix It repeats on Dave.

Had Jericho not had a moan at Hausman or the lawyer involved with CM Punk, he would have continued to sit on the allegations as he has done for the last 4 years.

6 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

No. It was a post show media scrum, not a presser about sexual misconduct. 

It's still really poor judgement - even from a cynical optics perspective - given how questions about it were extremely likely to come up. 

3 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Had Jericho not had a moan at Hausman or the lawyer involved with CM Punk, he would have continued to sit on the allegations as he has done for the last 4 years.

It literally doesn't matter. They came out, and he behaved as if they hadn't.

You can't say 'had it not happened no one would have cared he was in fancy dress', because that's true of every serious situation and why serious leaders change their tone in light of events.

• Paid Members

The allegations should have been the absolute first thing addressed at the presser. Sitting waiting for the inevitable question to come probably made everything a lot worse. Khan trying to play the lovable goof in a funny hat during the Storm section while Storm plays for comic relief was fun in isolation, but there was still a very awkward tension of waiting for the question to arrive. 

The fact it arrived whilst Julia was on the stage was the perfect moment for the question to be asked, however it should never have gotten to the point of being 20 mins in and still waiting for the question, it should have been directly addressed off the bat. Whether that was a politicians 'I will not speak on the rumours' or a full statement, something should have been done off the bat.

As soon as the question arrived, he should have taken the bonnet and specs straight off and given a serious answer like he actually gave a fuck.

In regard the comments about 'safest place in wrestling', a place where the owner feared for his life 5 months ago and there has been multiple fights in the last 12 months is completely laughable.

Edited by Nick James

2 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

that's true of every serious situation and why serious leaders change their tone in light of events.

"I've been made aware of online accusations, and they are absolutely something I take seriously.  I can confirm that Kylie Rae was not asked to sign an NDA on leaving the company, and if she or any other employee, current of former, have been mistreated I would urge them to come forward officially, either to myself or anyone in the office, and we will investigate and take appropriate action.

Now watch this drive..."

now-watch-this-drive.gif