Straight line mission across Wales is back

SuperBacon

On 5/19/2022 at 10:09 AM, Merzbow said:

Oh god, I was watching a GeoGuesser video and he had to come out as a Jordan Peterson fan didn't he?

I think I'll stick to the trek videos but think he's a nob.

Ffs. How can a lovely boy like Welsh Greg be mates with him?

• Paid Members

If you watched Wales Attempt 3, you may be wondering about the other guy whose attempt forced Geowizard to bring his plans forward. You probably assumed he was a serious adventurer with top-notch planning and physical fitness to scare Geowizard with a serious chance of completing the mission first.

Yeah. Not so much:

6 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

The silly cunt wants to dribble a football across the width of Britain now. But not just that, he wants to do it by himself and in a single day.

I can't see this going to plan.

Someone find out where he's gonna be and two foot slide tackle him. 

• Paid Members

Love how this all started with Bacon, myself and a couple of others in the YouTube thread going "Ah this is a bit of a laugh! How novel!" and now it's gone full-blown milkshake duck and we're questioning GW's personality traits, beliefs and (lack of) planning. That's the whole scope and journey of being a modern-day celebrity, right there.

I do love the novelty of it all, or at least I did. The first mission and trip across Europe with Welsh Greg (be still my beating heart) were absolutely brilliant, and deserved of a rewatch.

But if you've ever seen any of his Geoguesser videos, he can come across as a bit of an arse (I'm sure none of us are holier than thou and all have questionable traits-I know I do) and he can also be just a bit casually racist in how he describes people, and this has filtered down into his walking missions as well.

Edit: also him insisting on saying "Alright lads!" to every single group of teens he passes is pure *Steve Buscemi fellow kids gif* 

I've still got time for him and his videos, but the interest does wain less and less...

...Verity on the other hand 😍

Edited by SuperBacon

• Paid Members

I don't think he's an out-and-out bellend, but does feel like he's come out of his shell more and more and so there's little tidbits that make you go "Hang on a sec...". It definitely feels like he's let slip some of that blokey-bloke charm (not charming in a WelshGreg way, that's for sure!).

I had my kitchen floor done earlier this year and I swear he was the guy in charge of the flooring squad. Turns out it wasn't, but the bloke acted and spoke and looked like him so I was actually convinced for a couple of days. The accent, language and topics were identical, could've fooled anyone in this thread.

Anyway, point is that he started off friendly enough and was bantering around and being chatty, but then as he got more and more comfortable throughout the week he started to drop his guard. Turns out he didn't believe covid-19 was THAT serious, he was unjabbed and he had "sympathy" for the current government. Got to say I wasn't too thrilled.

No idea what that adds to the conversation, I just found the similarities odd. I don't think he'll go full-on JonTron but I wouldn't be surprised if he voted for the Tories once or twice.

I'll definitely catch his travelling and straight line vids, but I'm not going to throw cash at his Patreon like I planned to!

Edited by Accident Prone

• Paid Members

The football dribbling thing seems a bit of a stretch to say the least. A brisk walk is 4 miles an hour, but do it for multiple hours on end and with any inclines, you'd be doing well to do 3 miles an hour. He's planning to do 75 miles in a day, so we're talking that speed all day without a break, before you add in being slowed down by the ball. To put it in context, doing 100 miles in a day, even with favourable terrain, is the kind of thing that one or two people in the world achieve in a given year. He's planning to do 3/4 of that with a ball.

I've been watching a few of the videos of people inspired by Geowizard and the two things they show are that he's very good at video editing and production, and that it's much harder (or people are much dumber) than it looks. Not having much luck with spoiler tags here, so without saying which is which, some of the results  of attempts include:

* Overslept the first day, struggled with the first fence, diverted to avoid a flock of sheep, found out the line was 10 metres off where they planned so not as clear, gave up before teatime.

* Planned the perfect route, turned up at the coast to find a cliff face, took two hours to do the first 200 metres, by which point they'd already gone more then 50 metres off-line.

* Used a phone for navigation. Battled through solid dense pine forests for over a day. Phone battery died.

Edited by JNLister

28 minutes ago, neil said:

I do think one of the appeals of this is the whole incompetency aspect of it. Its really like the Adam Bowler of the orienteering world.

Orientaleering world more like, lads!

On 5/25/2022 at 2:07 PM, SuperBacon said:

...Verity on the other hand 😍

It’s the super human amounts of understanding and support that turns you on isn’t it? “It’s ok, £200 is a lot and those football shirts are old and look shit but it’s your money, shall I go and get us a take away and you can watch Spurs?”

• Paid Members

Seen a few that I'm not even going to bother watching because of the country, including Croatia (you could chuck a cricket ball from border to coast at some points), Lichenstein (a filing cabinet in a field) and Somerset (erm...).

However, I'm glad to see at least one attempt from some people who've put the planning in, including having a decent line and replacing "Verity in a car in an emergency" with "five mates in a campervan on permanent duty." You could probably argue it's not pure straightlining, but it's a lot easier if you don't have to carry anything other than GPS and Gopro (and you don't give a shit about being cold or wet):

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Moderators

Fucking hell, Geowizard and Welsh Greg are back and trying to cover the entire east coast of the USA. In the first episode alone I was cringing and couldn't believe what they are trying to do. Absolute madness and some incredibly dumb shit in this.