Reggie Parks has died

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

I went to check his Wiki for how old he was, and I was shocked to find out he doesn't have a Wiki entry. For someone who was the go-to guy for big promotions' belts, whose designs were iconic, whose contributions are discussed in depth by a whole fandom subculture (who also spend shit-tons of money on their interest), and who also had a wrestling career of his own, this is odd.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

I went to check his Wiki for how old he was, and I was shocked to find out he doesn't have a Wiki entry. For someone who was the go-to guy for big promotions' belts, whose designs were iconic, whose contributions are discussed in depth by a whole fandom subculture (who also spend shit-tons of money on their interest), and who also had a wrestling career of his own, this is odd.

He was 87. Surprised there's not more about him on Wiki given he was a wrestler too.

• Paid Members

Sad to hear. Obviously he’s mostly known as the ‘belt guy’ but the first thing I always thought of whenever I’d hear or read his name was the story Bret Hart has told a bunch of times about Owen prank calling Stu in his best Reggie Parks voice and getting Stu all wound up and ready to take it to the dungeon.  

“Reg, if you’d wanted to try me why didn’t you try me?” 

7FA35B9B-C57E-4428-86CD-6609974EDCD5.jpeg

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Michael_3165 said:

What a brilliant artist. His old school belts were genius designs and he certainly took pride in the work he put out. 

Didn't know much about him as a worker - I assume he wrestled before his belt making days?

It's how he got into it, apparently. He was one of the AWA Midwest Tag Team Champions and made belts for him and his partner. They were so much better than the standard at the time that the World Tag Champions refused to even wear their belts to their ring for a Champions vs Champions match. I read an article about him just a few days ago, I'll try and find it again.

Definitely someone who's contributions have been over-looked. His designs, especially in the WWF, were iconic and still feel like the REAL title belts to me even now.