The General Motors Domestic Football Thread. 21/22 (NO SHIT BANTER)

PowerButchi

Burnley fans despise Allardyce after his years at Blackburn and Bolton. Sacking Dyche to bring him and then he relegates them would be perfect (for Rovers fans). Even better Steve Kean is available...

I thought Dyche would just take them straight back up if they did go down. So this seems one crazy decision. 

• Paid Members

Sure, what better way to prepare yourselves for life in the Championship than sack the guy that got you out of it twice?

• Paid Members

Yeah, he'd managed to make great use of the parachute payments, strengthening the squad both times for an immediate return to the Premier League. For some reason Norwich could never properly make it work, though. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, air_raid said:

Useless pricks.

Ditto  

Imagine if this useless United side limp to 4th place. The gulf between the top 3 and the rest is massive. Three losses on the bounce to Palace, Brighton and Southampton. Awful.

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

The gulf between the top 3 and the rest is massive. 

I don't think there's much of a gulf between the chasing group and Chelsea. City and Liverpool however that gulf is monstrous.

• Paid Members

I disagree. Chelsea are still miles away from the top 2 (and have been for years), but United, Spurs and Arsenal are still far from being as good as Chelsea. Hopefully losing half of their defence on Bosmans this summer will help.

• Paid Members

Presumably City's line has gone from last weekend's "were going to win the treble" to "It's only the FA Cup, the Premier League & Champions' League are far more important" 

• Paid Members

The only reason the gap between Chelsea and fourth is so small is because Chelsea had to play through their Covid and injury crisis, fulfilling all their fixtures during the most demanding spell of the season playing artificially more rested opponents, while everyone else got numerous (a lot of them unneeded) holidays.

If Liverpool had to do the same, the gap between them and Chelsea likely wouldn't be very "monstrous" at all. The three games they've played against each other this season paints the fairest picture: there's not much in it and luck has most definitely shined more favourably on Liverpool this season.

11 minutes ago, CleetusVanDamme said:

The only reason the gap between Chelsea and fourth is so small is because Chelsea had to play through their Covid and injury crisis, fulfilling all their fixtures during the most demanding spell of the season playing artificially more rested opponents, while everyone else got numerous (a lot of them unneeded) holidays.

Shouldn't have 453 players out on loan then should you :)

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, CleetusVanDamme said:

If Liverpool had to do the same, the gap between them and Chelsea likely wouldn't be very "monstrous" at all. The three games they've played against each other this season paints the fairest picture: there's not much in it and luck has most definitely shined more favourably on Liverpool this season.

I think Cleetus is overstating the case a bit (the gap between the top two and Chelsea is precisely the size of a reliable goalscorer, and City didn't have the relieved fixture list that others have), but this point is underrepresented.

It's also worth saying that if Chelsea win their two games in hand they will be 11 points ahead of Spurs, which would be a bigger gap than the one to Liverpool (8, assuming they win their game in hand)

Edited by Duke

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Duke said:

the gap between the top two and Chelsea is precisely the size of a reliable goalscorer

Chelsea's top scorer in the league is midfielder Mason Mount with 10 goals, City's top scorer is midfielder Kevin De Bruyne with 11 goals. Also it's not as though Chelsea don't have two prolific strikers in their squad, but for whatever reason Tuchel can't get them to score like they did for their previous clubs. 

I think the quality City and Liverpool have is more superior to Chelsea everywhere on the pitch and the difference between them is not limited to Chelsea not having a prolific goalscorer.

4 hours ago, Duke said:

It's also worth saying that if Chelsea win their two games in hand they will be 11 points ahead of Spurs, which would be a bigger gap than the one to Liverpool (8, assuming they win their game in hand)

I think this says more about how big the gulf is between Chelsea and the 4th place chasing pack to be honest. United, Spurs and Arsenal are bloody poor and wildly inconsistent.

7 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

United, Spurs and Arsenal are bloody poor and wildly inconsistent.

I'd say the latter part of that statement is true than the former.

I can't speak for United, as I truly detest seeing that prick play, but Spurs and Arsenal have at times been great this season.

Obviously I've seen Spurs more than Arsenal, but there have been times this year when we have been sensational.

Then there are times, like yesterday, when we dont have a single shot on target, despite scoring 25 in the previous 7. Its utterly bizarre. 

I don't think any of those 3 teams are poor, just massively inconsistent like you say, or in Spurs case, just their usual standard.