Paul vs Askren - Apr 17 🤡

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

What a load of fucking shite, absolute disgrace. Basically boxing for the Fyre festival set, vapid and vacuous. Can't believe people watch this dross.

Is Anderson Silva available?

Haha, I was going to post the same thing. Why would you do a brag about money and use singles? Floyd Mayweather and his $100k bricks of cash, it aint.

As for the event, part of me thinks that trying anything new and different should be encouraged, but maybe not to the extreme this event did. Having the commentators constantly making gags about one of the main event fighters physique was definitely something unique. Whether its good or not, I still havent figured that out. At least its different I guess.

• Paid Members

It's probably best not to think of this as a boxing event, but a social media celeb event (I'm sure there's already a term for this, but I remember Marathon bars, so I don't know). This is just the latest thing for people into this culture to get into; the same people hosting it will either continue to do this and eventually be forgotten when the audience moves on, or they'll evolve and be the ones leading the change to whatever else next they do.

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, David said:

Aain, even if McGregor wants to fight this guy (and I'm not all that sure he does) there'd be no way it happens while he's under UFC contract. Unless Paul signs to fight under the UFC banner it won't be happening.

I remember the exact same thing being said about McGregor fighting Mayweather.

8 hours ago, Chunk said:

I remember the exact same thing being said about McGregor fighting Mayweather.

This isn't Floyd Mayweather though. A loss in a boxing match outside the UFC to a legend like Mayweather did little to hurt the credibility of McGregor, and his financial viability to the UFC.

Imagine if they followed the same approach here? Dana White sitting on stage while Jake Paul acts like a fucking goon, only for him to then go and somehow take McGregor into the later rounds when McGregor gasses and loses? To a YouTube guy?

Never going to happen in my opinion.

Just now, Ironic Indie Lad said:

This event was Youtube vs Cryptocurrency and Youtube prevailed. Basically a throwback to the early style vs style days of MMA imo.

The early style days where both fighters were forced to fight only one strict style? It was nothing like the early UFC days, and was more like that white collar boxing pish you see occasionally.

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, Carbomb said:

It's probably best not to think of this as a boxing event, but a social media celeb event 

Yeah, that's true but its the celeb aspect that completely dragged the show through the mud for me.

Nobody likes a freak show type fight more than me. Ive been into weird matchmaking ever since i got into the combat sports and i'll be into them going forward.

No MMA fans were complaining when their beloved fighters were battering hapless pro wrestlers, actors, other sportsmen in Japan. Now the shoes on the other foot its touched a nerve and created the whole Boxing vs. MMA thing again which is abit silly.

My whole issue with what i saw Saturday night was the way the celebrities there treated it all like it was a joke. When people are fighting for real in the ring and they are mocking the way they look and actively rooting for one guy to get knocked out, it all felt wrong to me. I know theres probably a fair portion of the audience that loved it all but the way they do things isnt for me.