Paul vs Askren - Apr 17 🤡

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, wandshogun09 said:

Askren’s the last guy who you’d describe as ‘thinking he was a boxer’ though. He was purely doing it for the money. Fuck, I don’t even think I’d describe him as a MMA fighter. He was a total throwback to the one style days of the UFC, the SEG era when most fighters had one discipline. He was basically a modern day Dan Severn with a perm. He’s a 36 year old amateur wrestler, known for having no striking, with dead hips and a pot belly. Boxing fans claiming some pathetic win over MMA after this is laughable, to be honest. Askren was probably the worst striker in MMA since Royce Gracie. 

I know Askren isn't a boxer as I've seen his stand up in MMA, but he took the fight under boxing rules and we saw what happened. I've heard Nate Diaz say countless time he is a boxer so if it's possible to make happen, we can see what he can do against the YouTuber in a boxing ring.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Gooner said:

Feeding this YouTuber all these MMA fighters who think they are boxers and him taking them out one by one is something I could get behind. 

and the next MMA fighter likely to fight Jake Paul is Dillon Danis. Another guy with zero standup ability 😄

Paul keeps saying the McGregor fight is closer to happening than people think. A Danis fight first might be the thing that gets that ball rolling (Danis and McGregor are training partners).

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Gooner said:

but he took the fight under boxing rules and we saw what happened. 

Yeah, exactly what should’ve happened. He was useless but the vast majority of MMA fans knew he was. This wasn’t the revelation or shock a lot of Boxing fans seem to want it to be. A wrestler who’s not allowed to wrestle is no threat to anyone. Askren accepted the rules so that’s fair enough and that’s on him. It was fair game. He he didn’t seem to care before or after the fight.

I’m all for Paul doing a ‘MMA killer’ gimmick. As much as I think he’s a proper helmet, it might be a laugh for the sideshow it is. But I don’t know, at least fight someone who can throw a punch maybe? 

3 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

and the next MMA fighter likely to fight Jake Paul is Dillon Danis. Another guy with zero standup ability 😄

Paul keeps saying the McGregor fight is closer to happening than people think. A Danis fight first might be the thing that gets that ball rolling (Danis and McGregor are training partners).

There we go then, feed him this nobody, have McGregor then want to fight the YouTuber to defend his training partners honour after he gets beat and then the YouTuber ends McGregor. If Askren got half a mil for his fight, a lot more money to be made for them all.

3 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Yeah, exactly what should’ve happened. He was useless but the vast majority of MMA fans knew he was. This wasn’t the revelation or shock a lot of Boxing fans seem to want it to be. A wrestler who’s not allowed to wrestle is no threat to anyone. Askren accepted the rules so that’s fair enough and that’s on him. It was fair game. He he didn’t seem to care before or after the fight.

I’m all for Paul doing a ‘MMA killer’ gimmick. As much as I think he’s a proper helmet, it might be a laugh for the sideshow it is. But I don’t know, at least fight someone who can throw a punch maybe? 

Paul is a YouTuber and thats what makes it funny. A MMA fighter got whacked inside a round, in a boxing fight with a YouTuber. I'm sure with making half a mil he doesn't care that he was a total embarrassment and has no shame when collecting his earnings. 

You hit the nail on the head there, it is all a complete sideshow, but if it's going to happen anyway, him beating all these MMA fighters is something I can get on board on and have a laugh at. 

I actually think the Askren/DJ trade was a positive one for the UFC (and for ONE FC as well). At the end of the day, their business is built around promoting fights, they aren't trading card collectors hoarding the best fighters in the world.

It's probably an sad indictment of the UFC's overall inability to promote one of the greatest fighters of all time, but DJ was never a draw. What fights were left for him? Other than a potential trilogy fight against Cejudo, none at all. He had no interest in moving up in weight, and he probably beats any flyweight who isn't called Cejudo. With Cejudo as champion, the UFC's priority should be creating challengers for him, and sending people out to be beaten by DJ doesn't help that task at all.

Askren may have been a failure in the UFC, but during his stint there was at least some interest in his fights.

Edited by Tamura

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Gooner said:

You hit the nail on the head there, it is all a complete sideshow, but if it's going to happen anyway, him beating all these MMA fighters is something I can get on board on and have a laugh at. 

And that’s cool. My thing is just that there’s not as much fun in it when the other guy offers no threat. It’s not an issue of Boxing vs MMA for me, I’m a fan of both. But don’t you think it’d be more entertaining if there was a bit of risk to it? I’m fine with him fighting MMA fighters, I just don’t want to see him against anyone like Danis who’s another grappler with no striking. It’s not interesting or that entertaining.

I’d be more than happy to see him spark McGregor by the way. Paul’s a nob but he’s the lesser of two evils where that matchup would be concerned. Still not convinced it can happen though. Yeah, there’s money to be made but there’s a lot to lose there if you’re the UFC. Why risk your biggest star in a fight like that, especially when he’s not been on the best of form himself in recent fights? The timing seems ripe for Paul to catch him, or at least the chance of it is higher now. So unless they knew McGregor was done with MMA for good, it wouldn’t make much sense to risk it. Unless the UFC bring him in maybe. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Tamura said:

I actually think the Askren/DJ trade was a positive one for the UFC (and for ONE FC as well). 

The Askren trade was quality. Askren may have only gone 1-2 in the promotion but just having him around was great fun. 

5 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

The reaction to Triller after the Jones/Tyson thing was generally positive, i think people were surprised by how good a presentation it was. Last night it seems they undone all that work, the reaction seems overwhelmingly negative from what i can see, both from a fight and show standpoint.

I'd forgotten about the Slap Fight too. They dedicated a whole section to two fat guys with beards. One black, one white. They took turns slapping each other in the face in a cage. This was reffed by Ric Flair and Pete Davidson was commenting.

I was drunk last night and thought I might have dreamt this but no that actually happened and Triller thought it was a great idea.

12 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Unless Paul signs a UFC contract he's not fighting anyone who can throw a punch that's currently in the UFC. It's that simple. Besides, the guy is clearly working the gimmick while being very smart about who he fights. He's calling out Diaz and McGregor because it gets headlines, and he knows it's absolutely never going to happen. 

He's a YouTube personality who's taken up boxing, he's not an actual boxer. I know a lot of his followers are too stupid to realise that, and it's them he's cashing in on.

12 hours ago, Gooner said:

There we go then, feed him this nobody, have McGregor then want to fight the YouTuber to defend his training partners honour after he gets beat and then the YouTuber ends McGregor. If Askren got half a mil for his fight, a lot more money to be made for them all.

Again, even if McGregor wants to fight this guy (and I'm not all that sure he does) there'd be no way it happens while he's under UFC contract. Unless Paul signs to fight under the UFC banner it won't be happening.

13 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

And that’s cool. My thing is just that there’s not as much fun in it when the other guy offers no threat. It’s not an issue of Boxing vs MMA for me, I’m a fan of both. But don’t you think it’d be more entertaining if there was a bit of risk to it? I’m fine with him fighting MMA fighters, I just don’t want to see him against anyone like Danis who’s another grappler with no striking. It’s not interesting or that entertaining.

I’d be more than happy to see him spark McGregor by the way. Paul’s a nob but he’s the lesser of two evils where that matchup would be concerned. Still not convinced it can happen though. Yeah, there’s money to be made but there’s a lot to lose there if you’re the UFC. Why risk your biggest star in a fight like that, especially when he’s not been on the best of form himself in recent fights? The timing seems ripe for Paul to catch him, or at least the chance of it is higher now. So unless they knew McGregor was done with MMA for good, it wouldn’t make much sense to risk it. Unless the UFC bring him in maybe. 

I had never looked at it from the perspective that it's Boxing vs. MMA, I only looked at it as a YouTuber vs MMA fighter.  I'd be fine with seeing more risk and making  the sideshow more entertaining. So Danis is someone who the YouTuber will beat easily too in a boxing ring. It has the narrative if nothing else of him beating McGregor's training partner/friend to throw more gasoline on the fire. 

Oh okay, so he can just bait away at McGregor and the UFC knowing it most likely won't happen, I guess it will keep even more eyes and views on the YouTuber.  

20 minutes ago, Gooner said:

I had never looked at it from the perspective that it's Boxing vs. MMA, I only looked at it as a YouTuber vs MMA fighter.  I'd be fine with seeing more risk and making  the sideshow more entertaining. So Danis is someone who the YouTuber will beat easily too in a boxing ring. It has the narrative if nothing else of him beating McGregor's training partner/friend to throw more gasoline on the fire. 

Oh okay, so he can just bait away at McGregor and the UFC knowing it most likely won't happen, I guess it will keep even more eyes and views on the YouTuber.  

The YouTuber.