Paul vs Askren - Apr 17 🤡

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

Yeah, that's true but its the celeb aspect that completely dragged the show through the mud for me.

Nobody likes a freak show type fight more than me. Ive been into weird matchmaking ever since i got into the combat sports and i'll be into them going forward.

No MMA fans were complaining when their beloved fighters were battering hapless pro wrestlers, actors, other sportsmen in Japan. Now the shoes on the other foot its touched a nerve and created the whole Boxing vs. MMA thing again which is abit silly.

My whole issue with what i saw Saturday night was the way the celebrities there treated it all like it was a joke. When people are fighting for real in the ring and they are mocking the way they look and actively rooting for one guy to get knocked out, it all felt wrong to me. I know theres probably a fair portion of the audience that loved it all but the way they do things isnt for me.

Absolutely.

Don't get me wrong: I utterly detest that kind of culture, everything it stands for, everything it enables/encourages, and everything that made it possible. That's why I re-watch the Fyre festival documentary: it's not often we see that kind of shower of cunts get their comeuppance as a direct consequence of their own bullshit. Supremely satisfying.

I'm just saying that it's best to think of this as just the latest bitler of vapid, vacuous shite from a Coachella-load of tossers, because thinking of it as anything more or legit is a route to self-torment. You know that you're a fan of real combat sports, and that they'll still be there and appreciated long after the Pauls and their cronies have been covered up by the next layer of celeb wallpaper, and that's all that should matter.

1 hour ago, Tamura said:

No photo description available.

You don't need to be old to remember those.

True! I did buy one of those a while ago, just for the hell of it.

Was OK. Nostalgia doesn't taste as good as it used to.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

No MMA fans were complaining when their beloved fighters were battering hapless pro wrestlers, actors, other sportsmen in Japan. 

They should’ve been. It’s a miracle someone never died on one of those big Japanese cards with some of the reckless matchmaking in the late 90s and early 2000s. I like a freakshow, maybe not as much as you, but I do enjoy them from time to time. But shit like Goodridge vs Yatsu was horrifying, as was feeding Yuji Nagata to fucking Fedor and Cro Cop.

Spot on about the celebrity stuff. Snoop Dogg especially comes off as a right cock whenever he talks fighting. Imagine someone got badly hurt or worse while he’s mocking them like that? It’s all entertainment until someone gets messed up. It wasn’t that long ago we saw a series of highly publicised boxing deaths in a short space of time. For as much of a weird sideshow as this was, they were still getting in there and taking the risk of being hurt the same way top boxers do. You don’t need the people presenting the show taking the piss out of it and the fighters. 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

They should’ve been. It’s a miracle someone never died on one of those big Japanese cards with some of the reckless matchmaking in the late 90s and early 2000s. I like a freakshow, maybe not as much as you, but I do enjoy them from time to time. But shit like Goodridge vs Yatsu was horrifying, as was feeding Yuji Nagata to fucking Fedor and Cro Cop.

Yeah, its a weird thing. Maybe it was more a sign of the times, but i cant recall anyone ever being outraged at the mismatches that were being put on consistently at the time. MMA purists loved seeing guys from other disciplines come into MMA and fail miserably. 

• Paid Members

the bookies favorite to fight Paul next is Joe Fournier who fought on last weekends undercard. He's got a nice record on paper, is in the ballpark weight wise, has celebrity status and is already in with Triller so i could see that.

On the undercard i fully expect to see Tyron Woodley vs. J'Leon Love.

Becoming a Jake Paul fan, truth be told. He’s got the whole MMA world spinning, and he’s engaging in a verbal back and forth with Tommy Fury.

Man’s literally got the world of combat sports wrapped round his little finger.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I was not prepared for this babyface turn.

Exactly what I was about to come on and talk about. Should have known I'd be pipped to the post! Unfortunately Dana is in his fifties and one fast walk away from a heart attack. 15 years ago a fight with Dana would have been the next fight everyone would be lobbying to be made for (insert forename here) Paul.