Other AEW shows discussion (Dark, Elevation, BTE, whatever else)

LaGoosh

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, Chili said:

I think I said it in another thread but Cody from the start of AEW up until the pandemic began was just phenomenal. He was absolutely brilliant and I loved everything he did from Dustin to Jericho to MJF (except the smashing throne silliness but nevermind). I think @RedRooster saw it before we all did but he was alright after that and through most of 2020, but that QT Marshall feud was where things started to feel off in retrospect even if I didn't see that at the time. All his feuds suddenly started skipping chapters.

It was the Ogogo bit that really did it for me. That and the more Brandi got involved the less I cared. Both of them seem lovely in real life, but she was prototype Jericho.

• Paid Members

Odd criticism to say that his WWE promos have all been the same since he won. There was, quite justifiably, a massive amount of good will towards WWE, Cody and his title win after Wrestlemania. After the two year long chase and finally finishing The Story, I don't know what anyone expects him to do in the first few appearances after that, other than proudly proclaim that he is the champion and bask in the crowd's adoration. 

We'll see how he does in promos trying to heat up feuds against filler challengers etc. going forward as that will be a bigger test, but surely he deserves a bit of a grace period after Mania before people start turning on him. Everyone loves the underdog until they make it eh. 

• Paid Members
48 minutes ago, JLM said:

We'll see how he does in promos trying to heat up feuds against filler challengers etc. going forward as that will be a bigger test, but surely he deserves a bit of a grace period after Mania before people start turning on him. Everyone loves the underdog until they make it eh. 

As I said in another thread, same thing happened with Hangman, the thrill was in the chase. I agree it’s too soon to write him off though, it’s only been a week and change since he won

6 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

As I said in another thread, same thing happened with Hangman, the thrill was in the chase. I agree it’s too soon to write him off though, it’s only been a week and change since he won

I don't know if I agree with that - I mean, obviously there's something to be said for the thrill of the chase, and a babyface champion isn't going to get the same reaction for retaining the title as they would for winning it. But I think Hangman's title reign came at a challenging time - it wasn't bad as such, when you look back at it. But he had to compete with CM Punk's return to wrestling; and the signings of Bryan Danielson and Adam Cole. He felt secondary, because he kind of was - the focus of the audience and even Tony Khan was elsewhere, because it kind of had to be. 

For me though, it's hard to argue the fact that Hangman is the most consistent storyteller in AEW - he always has a strong, long-term story arc going on. While I don't think, on hindsight, his title reign was as much of a flop as was though at the time; he didn't really have a long enough title run to build up to the arc that he is so masterful at creating. I genuinely think he needed a longer reign. I understand the logic in putting the title on Punk; but really, has anyone - outside of Joe - had a better run with the AEW title than Hangman since he dropped the belt?

As for Cody, he's been...well...Cody since winning the belt. Exactly as you'd expect, which isn't a bad thing. But I think babyface champions need a bit of time to settle in, and for the threat of them losing the belt to actually feel real, creating that sense of consequence in their matches; making their reign more of an emotional journey. 

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, RedRooster said:

As for Cody, he's been...well...Cody since winning the belt. Exactly as you'd expect, which isn't a bad thing. But I think babyface champions need a bit of time to settle in, and for the threat of them losing the belt to actually feel real, creating that sense of consequence in their matches; making their reign more of an emotional journey. 

This is a tricky one to get right. There's no coincidence that "seemingly unbeatable odds" was the recurring theme of the two most successful WWF Champions in history - Hulk Hogan faced seemingly unbeatable odds because he was usually up against HUGE MASSIVE SCARY MONSTERS and while we all know now there was usually no chance of him losing, as kids it was what we were constantly in fear of. And Steve Austin faced seemingly unbeatable odds because the boss was constantly moving the goalposts and changing the rules to try and fuck him over, and even managed to short term, but Austin always got back up and carried on swinging.

Where you go with Cody to create insurmountable odds now he's already outfoxed The Bloodline (or got lucky, depending on your perspective) - that's the question.

Edited by air_raid
Waiting for me to start the show

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, air_raid said:

Where you go with Cody to create insurmountable odds now he's already outfoxed The Bloodline (or got lucky, depending on your perspective) - that's the question.

It'll be tricky for them. They don't have any monster heels on the roster for him to stand up to and he can't really do the every man under dog thing because he's kissed managements arses and he's very publicly the company favourite to lead the shows going forwards. I'm not really sure where there is to go with him that can maintain his current popularity. 

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

It'll be tricky for them. They don't have any monster heels on the roster for him to stand up to and he can't really do the every man under dog thing because he's kissed managements arses and he's very publicly the company favourite to lead the shows going forwards. I'm not really sure where there is to go with him that can maintain his current popularity. 

I'd be utterly aghast if they tried to do another authority storyline anyway, it has to be the most played out scenario in wrestling. All that matters is compelling stories really, i don't think it matters too much if you know he's keeping the title, deep down. Since this title reign has been pencilled in for a long time apparently, I'm hoping they've got some good stuff planned. 

EDIT: Why is this discussion in this thread of all places?

Edited by gmoney