Wrestling Photos

gmoney

23 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

The one with Undertaker on the cover (94) was the one in our school. Those stickers were like actual currency for a few months. Swaps being made like they were drug deals, friendships ended, the lot. 

I'm surprised the buzz was still there with that one. The aforementioned Hitman '93 version was the peak round our way. By the time the Taker '94 one came out, the mania had gone. I remember getting that '94 one as it came included with the May '94 issue of WWF magazine (my first ever WWF mag, and not long having had Sky TV and seeing Adam Bomb on the cover, I thought he looked cool as fuck. Previously relying on friends and family taping the odd PPV and episode of All American Wrestling to get my fix, I had no idea who this mean mutha fucka was!). Unfortunately as I say, the fad was gone by that point, so I probably managed about 25 packs of stickers max. When you can't indulge in the swap/need shenanigans it kinda leaves it a bit flat too. Coupled with the fact I was heading to secondary school in '94, I'm certain I'd have been an outcast for life had I rocked up to the big leagues with a WWF sticker album! From that moment on, it was whatever football one came out (prem league/euro '96/endsleigh football league etc).

• Paid Members

Now I think about it, that 94 sticker album was pretty much the ‘last hurrah’ for serious wrestling popularity here, at least in my experience anyway. I still remember kids talking about the Bret/Lex ending to the Rumble and buzzing about the Bret vs Owen feud. By about Survivor Series that year it was dead though with only a few kids still talking about it at all. Me being one of them. PPVs came and went with no playground hype, the last Hasbro series I remember getting any attention was the Yoko/Bam Bam one and I vividly remember a lad talking about Bob Backlund beating Bret for the belt and getting laughed at for still watching. Fucking Backlund wasn’t cutting it amongst 9 year olds. But yeah, that sticker book was probably the last time I recall any real enthusiasm and excitement for the WWF as a kid. 

5A8C2260-E6AB-48FF-B0FF-76DEA4F11FD3.jpeg

Edited by wandshogun09

1 hour ago, wandshogun09 said:

Now I think about it, that 94 sticker album was pretty much the ‘last hurrah’ for serious wrestling popularity here, at least in my experience anyway. I still remember kids talking about the Bret/Lex ending to the Rumble and buzzing about the Bret vs Owen feud. By about Survivor Series that year it was dead though with only a few kids still talking about it at all. Me being one of them. PPVs came and went with no playground hype, the last Hasbro series I remember getting any attention was the Yoko/Bam Bam one and I vividly remember a lad talking about Bob Backlund beating Bret for the belt and getting laughed at for still watching. Fucking Backlund wasn’t cutting it amongst 9 year olds. But yeah, that sticker book was probably the last time I recall any real enthusiasm and excitement for the WWF as a kid. 

5A8C2260-E6AB-48FF-B0FF-76DEA4F11FD3.jpeg

Seeing as it works out you'll be a couple years younger than me, I suppose it makes sense you/your year managed to drag another year of fandom out of it!

That Hasbro series was the last I remember too, at least in terms of your main shops (them being in Argos). I remember going to town with my birthday money, desperately wanting Yoko, but it was outta stock. So asked for Luger instead, outta stock! Had to settle for the 'Beast from the East'! And that was the Hasbro adventure over, or so I thought. Until heading over to Ireland the following year to see family, can't think of the name of the shop but it was Ireland's main toy shop I think, and an absolute avalanche of Hasbro's (some I never knew existed) battering my senses into submission and spending the majority of my holiday money there and then! Giant Gonzales, Tatanka, Rick Martel, Steiner's and possibly one or two more. Could not wait to get 'home' home!

That particular Survivor Series card as well. My friend who went to another school from me, we met up late October for a sleepover (did lads call it that?! I genuinely can't remember, it was nearly 30 years ago after all!). We left junior school absolutely transfixed with all things WWF, when I asked if he's looking forward to Survivors, he laughed at me and said "nah, I don't watch that crap any more". My first true heartbreak! 🤣

Taker one for me and my school as a kid. If that was 94, then that would be 8 into 9. Don't remember the pink Bret one. Before Taker the sticker album I remember was Nintendo.

After Taker it was onto football stickers, pogs, tazos, and the last hurrah of collecting: Pokemon cards. Which considering some of the prices they sell for these days i'm kicking myself for not taking more seriously.

Before I'd even seen my first wrestling match, I learnt everything I needed to know from the light blue sticker album that preceded the pink Bret one. This included such knowledge as one of the WWF's most relevant superstars being Big Bully Busick.