Death of the Union.

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

Surely an easy argument is that Scotland has consistently voted for EU membership and left of centre parties, yet finds itself governed from London by Tories and out of the EU against its will.

Not much of a union if its views counts for nothing.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, ReturnOfTheMack said:

One thing I remember seeing brought up during the indyref was if Spain would block an independent Scotland from joining the EU in order to dissuade independence pushes from Catatonia. Did Spain ever say anything to the contrary?

I think only butch wants to submit to the iron rule of Cerys Matthews. 

One thing that has assisted the SNP over the past decade or so is the complete lack of a credible leader for Scottish Labour. They essentially needed their own Nicola Sturgeon or Ruth Davidson to push forward, but ended up on a slippery slope of poor choice after poor choice, helping assist their decline to where they are now. 

Campaigning with the Tories in 2014 obviously didn't help them, but their decline to becoming Scotland's third party wasn't inevitable. Their most recent leader, Richard Leonard, could have easily decided to switch his names around one day and no one would have noticed, he was an utter non-entity. 

The lack of an effective left wing pro-union voice since the Brexit vote is an important factor, in my opinion, when it comes to the tide turning in favour of independence. Given how narrow the yes/no margins are right now, an effective Labour leader could make some level of difference in swinging opinions towards remaining in the UK, particularly since they can point to Brexit and essentially say "it'll be this but worse", whether that's accurate or not. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/25/2021 at 7:15 PM, RancidPunx said:

This is actually pretty funny .

Sorry Wales.

Wales is awake !!!

Westminster warned as poll shows record backing for Welsh independence

Survey for ITV News Tonight reported ‘dramatic uplift’ with 40% backing independence and most support amongst young people

A poll suggesting that backing for independence among Welsh citizens is at a record high should serve as a warning for the UK government and prompt it to work harder at its relationship with the devolved nations, supporters of the union have said.

Just under 40% of Welsh people polled who expressed an opinion said they would vote for independence, citing feelings that their country has different social attitudes to the UK as a whole and unhappiness at Westminster’s response to the Covid pandemic

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/mar/04/westminster-warned-as-poll-shows-record-backing-for-welsh-independence

15 minutes ago, RancidPunx said:

Wales is awake !!!

Westminster warned as poll shows record backing for Welsh independence

Survey for ITV News Tonight reported ‘dramatic uplift’ with 40% backing independence and most support amongst young people

A poll suggesting that backing for independence among Welsh citizens is at a record high should serve as a warning for the UK government and prompt it to work harder at its relationship with the devolved nations, supporters of the union have said.

Just under 40% of Welsh people polled who expressed an opinion said they would vote for independence, citing feelings that their country has different social attitudes to the UK as a whole and unhappiness at Westminster’s response to the Covid pandemic

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/mar/04/westminster-warned-as-poll-shows-record-backing-for-welsh-independence

They're going to go independent before Scotland do, aren't they? We'll have a united Ireland, an independent Wales, and a Westminster government desperately holding on to Scotland, insisting the issue was settled in 2014, as polls continue to show people here back it. 😐

3 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

They're going to go independent before Scotland do, aren't they? We'll have a united Ireland, an independent Wales, and a Westminster government desperately holding on to Scotland, insisting the issue was settled in 2014, as polls continue to show people here back it. 😐

I honestly cant see a United Ireland in the next 10 years. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2021 at 11:26 PM, PowerButchi said:

At the moment I'm pretty embittered with the Independence movement to be honest. It's striking me as neoliberalism and exclusionist.

Just wondering where you are getting this from as it’s not so much what I have came across. I’m a member of Yes Cymru but have to  admit that I’ve had to have a Twitter cleanse of a lot of the main YC characters constant barrage of tweets but that was more due to not needing to see daily ramblings but ultimately still ultimately supporting the message. 

• Moderators

Just some people I've got on Facebook. I'm a memebr of Yes Cymru myself, but I'm getting annoyed with loads of people on my FB  just piping about England non stop being shite and why they hate them. Independence should be about us, not us being chippy about them next door.

39 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

Just some people I've got on Facebook. I'm a memebr of Yes Cymru myself, but I'm getting annoyed with loads of people on my FB  just piping about England non stop being shite and why they hate them. Independence should be about us, not us being chippy about them next door.

That’s fair enough. It’s wanting to get away from a certain type of nationalism that’s made YC popular I believe. I’ve got no time for that shite and none of the members I know on the North Wales coast that I know identify with that and are more just in the camp of wanting Welsh politics to be decided in Wales and simply just feeling less British than they did 10 years ago.  That and the fact that half the people round here are English and xenophobia isn’t what it might be elsewhere. 

I suppose that’s the issue with lumping together so many different communities and beliefs behind one cause.