The Conor McGregor thread 2.0

David

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

There’s something really tragic about this. For all the money he’s got, he still desperately seeks validation and adulation as a great champion despite never defending either of the belts he won. Really hits home how long ago he actually won the thing as well considering they’ve had a whole new belt design for years now. Somehow looks like even more of a sex pest since losing the beard as well. 

• Paid Members

Lobov in fairness seems a pretty switched on guy. Sure he had pretty high level business degrees and a high paying job before pursuing a full time MMA career. If he's looking to sue I wouldn't be surprised if there's some weight behind his claims.

2 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Lobov in fairness seems a pretty switched on guy. Sure he had pretty high level business degrees and a high paying job before pursuing a full time MMA career. If he's looking to sue I wouldn't be surprised if there's some weight behind his claims.

If what you say is true then I'm sure he'll have a signed contract to prove his claims.

• Moderators

I really wonder how Conor will be looked back on in say 5 years time. Even his biggest claim of "First Double Champ" feels pretty weak these days given others have done it, never defended either, and personally for me it isn't even that impressive to begin with given the way UFC sets up matches.

I'm clearly on the side of disliking him and he has plenty of people who feel strongly the other way, but I do wonder what the general take will be looking back on his career.

53 minutes ago, neil said:

I really wonder how Conor will be looked back on in say 5 years time. Even his biggest claim of "First Double Champ" feels pretty weak these days given others have done it, never defended either, and personally for me it isn't even that impressive to begin with given the way UFC sets up matches.

I'm clearly on the side of disliking him and he has plenty of people who feel strongly the other way, but I do wonder what the general take will be looking back on his career.

It will be difficult for there to be a general take because as you mention, he is such an incredibly polarizing figure.  It's like Donald Trump. There is very little middle ground. 

His fans will overrate his career and people who dislike him will downplay his victories. In ten years time, I'd imagine you would will still have old Conor fans being like the Mike Tyson boxing fans, banging on about how a "prime Tyson/McGregor would knock all these young guys out".

Conor is certainly capable of doing something so spectacularly stupid to end up in prison or banned on all social media though. That kind of thing could change an overall view.

• Paid Members

Yeah I think we’re already starting to see it effect how he’s viewed to some extent. The way he’s carried on the last few years, particularly since the money from the Mayweather fight and his whiskey started rolling in and since the Khabib loss, he’s been on a downward spiral outside the cage. On top of that, he’s clearly past his peak in the cage now as well. People can try to excuse it with the ‘he’s not hungry anymore’ stuff and I’m not denying it plays its part. But it’s also worth remembering he’s been in the UFC close to a decade now. In April it’ll be 10 years since he made his Octagon debut. Even if he’d lived the clean cut life and looked after himself, his career would probably be starting to hit a downswing around now anyway.

A lot of MMA and Boxing fans have short memories. Even the likeable no nonsense types like Frankie Edgar and Shogun, a lot of fans these days don’t seem to appreciate what they did in the past. And as well as short memories, fight fans often seem to also have selective memories. Like Jim Bob says, you’ll get the detractors downplaying him and his arse lickers putting him on a pedestal. And they’ll both probably be wrong. Whichever side of the fence you fall on, you can twist a fighter’s record to suit your argument either for or against. A lot of people will look at a fighter’s record years after the fact and judge the wins and losses based on how those names looked at the end of their careers instead of how they looked at the time the fights happened. I’ve seen it so many times when someone’s tried to shit on Fedor’s record. They’re seeing wins over Nogueira and Cro Cop on there and picturing barely mobile, fat Nog who got sparked by Roy Nelson in the UFC years later. Or Cro Cop from that miserable stretch when Gonzaga stole his finisher and Kongo pulverised his ballsack. Not the prime versions of the monsters they were when Fedor faced them.

I’ve gone off on one but yeah, I think you’ll get a mix with McGregor just because he’s so polarising. He’s not like an Edgar type who’s pretty nondescript as a personality. Years down the line, if someone’s looking at Frankie’s legacy then pretty much all they’ll have to go on is the fights themselves. With McGregor, feelings are stronger for and against him. He’ll be one of them that’ll likely be overrated by some and underrated by others for eternity. 

I agree on the double champ thing as well. It’s one of the things McGregor fans always cling on to whenever someone has a pop at him. They’ll post a pic of Conor with the 2 belts and post something like ‘Khabib could never’ or Poirier or whoever. Like it’s some gotcha or burn. But yeah, he never defended either belt and the truth is, a lot of fighters probably could’ve achieved ‘champ champ’ status if they were given the same opportunities as McGregor. Obviously a few have since like Daniel Cormier and Amanda Nunes. And they actually did defend. But McGregor was the first so his worshippers hang onto that for all it’s worth. I remember when there was talk of that Jose Aldo vs Anthony Pettis ‘superfight’ when they were champs at 145 and 155 respectively, and Dana specifically made clear that if Aldo wanted to challenge for Pettis’ 155 belt he’d have to relinquish his 145 belt first. They ended up making the fight at 145 instead but it got cancelled anyway. But a year or two later, McGregor can hold onto his 145 belt to jump up and challenge Eddie Alvarez at 155. Obviously I get why McGregor got treatment others didn’t but it’s bollocks when his fans try to act like he did something other fighters couldn’t have accomplished themselves. They weren’t given the chance.

If Volkanovski beats Makhachev in February though, it’ll be the most impressive of all the double champ achievements by far for me. To go 3-0 over someone as good as Max Holloway, then move up and dethrone a beast like Makhachev would be ridiculous.