The Conor McGregor thread 2.0

David

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Slow news day:

the-sun-002053608.thumb.webp.af89cee037357282e0837388c247e10a.webp

Christ the man really has turned into a constant meme or laughing source to the entire MMA world.

I'm calling it now if we don't see the announcement he's fighting at UFC 300 then it's not happening and we won't be seeing him in the octagon again. If the huge deal of headlining UFC 300 isn't enough to get his shit together nothing will be close and shut the door and get chandler a fight he has been ready and waiting for that fight and not fought the entire year because of that 

• Paid Members

I’m genuinely stumped what they can even really pull out now for UFC 300, that’s gonna seem as massive as everyone’s hoping for anyway. You’d think McGregor's return is the obvious one for 300 but I don’t know, maybe they think 300 will sell regardless and they can get better use of McGregor coming back at 301 or something. I don’t know. Then again, like I said, I really can’t think of anything that will match the hype fans are putting on 300. The UFC doesn’t even feel like it has any truly mega fights on the horizon now. 

It says it all that all the ‘fantasy’ UFC 300 cards I’m seeing have the likes of Khabib, GSP, Lesnar and/or Rousey on them. And let’s face it, none of them are happening are they? UFC 300 is just over 3 months away. If they were gonna somehow entice any of that lot back then it needs to be being finalised about now because they’d need to get a training camp in. That’s where we are now though, relying on the old nostalgia shit. Even a McGregor return, it’s about as big a thing as they can wheel out now but, even then, McGregor isn’t what he was. I mean I love MMA as much as anyone but they’ve really exhausted things over the last few years with the cross-divisional ’Superfights’ and endless rematches. There’s good fights you can still make and no doubt they’ll put together a strong card for 300, but the way they do things now, nothing feels that big anymore. 

They’ve hotshotted the territory, pal.  

7A32A89D-633D-4BF2-9015-D541FA3C85A3.gif

1 hour ago, wandshogun09 said:

I’m genuinely stumped what they can even really pull out now for UFC 300, that’s gonna seem as massive as everyone’s hoping for anyway. You’d think McGregor's return is the obvious one for 300 but I don’t know, maybe they think 300 will sell regardless and they can get better use of McGregor coming back at 301 or something. I don’t know. Then again, like I said, I really can’t think of anything that will match the hype fans are putting on 300. The UFC doesn’t even feel like it has any truly mega fights on the horizon now. 

It says it all that all the ‘fantasy’ UFC 300 cards I’m seeing have the likes of Khabib, GSP, Lesnar and/or Rousey on them. And let’s face it, none of them are happening are they? UFC 300 is just over 3 months away. If they were gonna somehow entice any of that lot back then it needs to be being finalised about now because they’d need to get a training camp in. That’s where we are now though, relying on the old nostalgia shit. Even a McGregor return, it’s about as big a thing as they can wheel out now but, even then, McGregor isn’t what he was. I mean I love MMA as much as anyone but they’ve really exhausted things over the last few years with the cross-divisional ’Superfights’ and endless rematches. There’s good fights you can still make and no doubt they’ll put together a strong card for 300, but the way they do things now, nothing feels that big anymore. 

They’ve hotshotted the territory, pal.  

7A32A89D-633D-4BF2-9015-D541FA3C85A3.gif

I do agree with you here and my thought process after this absolutely batshit year we have just had just in the UFC not factoring any other companies in the argument it's a very strong statement from Dana saying the 300 show will be the biggest and most stacked top to bottom show in the history of the company. He did say the thoughts and comments about the last show we had with regards to the earlier flights being insanely low down the card he said that will be the case for the very first fight on the early prelims so Dana has absolutely made this rod for his back with this card If it's anywhere underwhelming the MMA universe won't let him forget everything he promised lol but I really don't think that will be the case at all it's going to be eye wateringly stacked 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Kfogg1991 said:

so Dana has absolutely made this rod for his back with this card If it's anywhere underwhelming the MMA universe won't let him forget everything he promised lol 

Nah he’ll get a pass from most MMA fans. This is a fanbase who’s mostly let him forget he slapped his wife around in a nightclub last New Year’s Eve so I don’t think they’ll give him too much shit for a card not being quite as stacked as he originally hinted at.

Honestly, I don’t wanna be a downer but I can’t really see how they can stack 300 up now to any mind blowing degree like a lot of fans are expecting or hoping. They’ve used up Volk, O’Malley, Whittaker, Garry, Moreno, Yair, Ortega, MVP’s debut etc on the 298/299 and Mexico cards in Feb/Mar. So far what’s announced for 300 is OK but nothing special. Even this shite from Dana about the “first prelim is gonna blow everyone’s mind” I think it’ll just end up being Bo Nickal vs Brundage opening the Fight Pass stream or something. Which is still mad, Bo jerking the curtain, but Brundage should be a squash match for him, I wouldn’t expect anything more than that. 

They’re gonna have to start announcing the top fights for 300 soon. I reckon they’ll have to go all out to get Conor back in there. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the UFC are parting ways with USADA now, right when Conor’s due back. They know he’s gonna piss hot. Think the USADA ties are cut from Jan 1st so I wouldn’t be surprised if Conor’s return conveniently gets announced on New Year’s Day or something 🤣

Failing Conor’s return, what else is there? This Jones vs Stipe “legacy fight” they’re forcing that’s coming 4 years too late? A ‘Superfight’ between two divisions champs like Makhachev and Leon that nobody’s had time to clamour for and will just hold up 2 title pictures? There really isn’t much in the way of mega fights that can be made right now. 

Edited by wandshogun09

9 hours ago, Kfogg1991 said:

I'm calling it now if we don't see the announcement he's fighting at UFC 300 then it's not happening and we won't be seeing him in the octagon again. If the huge deal of headlining UFC 300 isn't enough to get his shit together nothing will be close and shut the door and get chandler a fight he has been ready and waiting for that fight and not fought the entire year because of that 

Not to defend the fella, but it seems it's actually the other way around. He wants to fight, and can't get the company to agree to a date and opponent for him.

There's a lot of accusations we can throw at McG, but he doesn't shirk a fight, and he never sits out when he doesn't need to really.

• Paid Members

Nah I don’t buy that. That’s what McGregor’s saying because of course he’s gonna say that. But why would they have deliberately kept their biggest star on the sidelines all this time? You know how money grabbing the UFC and Dana are. If they could’ve got him in the cage this year, he’d have been in the cage this year. He coached TUF and was supposed to fight Chandler over the summer but he kept dragging the USADA stuff out, not getting in the testing pool and shit. Then it was gonna be the end of the year. Now it’s 2024. I think a major part of why the UFC are cutting ties with USADA is because they want Conor back in there and they probably know he’s not off whatever shit he’s been taking the last couple of years. And as for him not dodging fights, it seems like he doesn’t even want the Chandler fight now so fuck knows what’s going on there? It’s easy to say he’s up for fighting anyone but his actions have said otherwise. All he seems to do is talk these days. This narrative that the UFC are forcing him to sit on the sidelines has only become a thing since Conor’s started spouting it. 

I actually think O'Malley could be right on what he said, which is that McGregor basically makes that much money per fight that the UFC are super-cagey about when they schedule him:

“You know what’s crazy is Conor is supposedly just begging for a fight,” O’Malley said on his “TimboSugarShow” podcast.

“Conor says his patience is wearing thin over UFC inactivity.

“I wonder if he’s making so much money per fight that it’s really just not that beneficial to the UFC, like they’re losing money when he fights.

“I wonder if his deal is structured in a way where it’s like, ‘F***!'”

Oh shiiiiit pretty much fucking confirms it's UFC 300 no way there not having him on that show of all shows. 

Just please God Conor don't fucking go out raping women or anything like that and fuck it up we have two days lmao but Jesus that's enough time for him to fucking do something to piss it up the wall