On 1/18/2022 at 11:44 AM, Your Fight Site said:

Did TNT show “classic” Nitro after the Cartoon Network switchover? Because I didn’t start watching wrestling until 1999-ish, and I definitely remember surfer Sting & Lex Luger vs. Ric Flair & The Giant from 1996 being shown, and not anything “modern” featuring Lance Storm or Goldberg. Because I remember being utterly confused as to why Sting was being al jovial whilst wearing a pirate jacket and not sulking about in black and white face paint and his scorpion singlet.

There were times Classic Nitro was aired instead of a new Nitro. But it wasn't a regular thing. I used to tape Nitro on long play and whatever was left on the tape recorded Thunder which aired after it.

In 1999 Thunder was moved to Saturday nights. I do remember seeing Thunder and then TNT showing Classic Nitro or Classic Thunder after that too.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Chili said:

A classic, The Blue Bloods vignettes. Regal is on form and Beautiful Bobby is a delightful aw shucks type. Well deserved career renaissance. 

Bobby getting knighted at 3:30 and Regal crying "Wonderful. *sniff* I remember this when it was happening to me!" Gem. 

Edited by Fatty Facesitter

Watching the WCW 1989, one thing I've noticed is how generic and similar a lot of the wrestlers look.

On one show in mid July. Mike Awesome (in job guy role), Dan Spivey & Scott Steiner are all wearing the same gear. Yellow trunks, yellow boots. If that was WWF, Vince would have gone ballistic and put a stop to that.

There was one episode in January with the original Midnight Express getting some heat in a squash match ready for their feud with the new Midnight Express. In this squash match, Randy Rose looked identical to the job guy, Trent Knight. Not just in ring gear but body shape, mullet, tasche.

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...

Been watching WCW on the Network and just started Starrcade 1993.

I do and in fairness have always loved WCW from late 1992 to 1994, it had so many up and coming stars and interesting little angles. One event I have developed a soft spot for is Battlebowl, yes, it is not without it's faults and probably not suited to a standalone PPV but I love the idea of random (some not so random) wrestlers being put together in tag teams and then a battle royal to end the event.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Abe_Knuckleball_Schwartz said:

One event I have developed a soft spot for is Battlebowl, yes, it is not without it's faults and probably not suited to a standalone PPV but I love the idea of random (some not so random) wrestlers being put together in tag teams and then a battle royal to end the event.

In theory it’s fun and novel, but it’s flawed. Similar to (cough) some very recent pieces of booking, it suffers from the same cringeworthy “because that’s what they wanted to happen” knowledge being the only explanation. I don’t remember off the top of my head if the 1993 one is as affected but the one at Slamboree 96 is ridiculous how the “random lottery” defies probability and EVERY match has either actual tag partners drawn together, tag partners or stablemates forced to fight,  or sworn enemies drawn together as partners. Benoit and Sullivan forced to tag? The Steiners on opposite teams? What are the odds???? Well, when it’s relentless, it’s clear the odds are what you booked them to be and my suspension of disbelief is on the floor. I know they need to know what story they’re trying to tell in each match but they could at least use the supposed randomnesses to create some new rivalries or even interesting new “surprised how well they gel” partnerships rather than just lazily rely on what’s already on the cards.

Oh, and a tag team tournament that ends in an “every man for himself” battle royal when one guy will leave his partner in the dust and be the sole winner is such WCWLOL, it may as well be TNA.

• Paid Members

That Flair Vader match at Starrcade 93 is a good one. Isn't it Sting Vs Rude for the "International" World heavyweight title as well?

Starrcadr 95 is a good one as well when you reach that one. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

That Flair Vader match at Starrcade 93 is a good one. Isn't it Sting Vs Rude for the "International" World heavyweight title as well?

No, it was Rude vs Boss Man and Sting & Hawk vs Nasty Boys.

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, air_raid said:

No, it was Rude vs Boss Man and Sting & Hawk vs Nasty Boys.

While Animal was teaming with Crush in the WWF. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

While Animal was teaming with Crush in the WWF. 

Not in 1993 he wasn’t. Animal got injured and was cut before 1992 was out and Crush was with Fuji in December 1993 with Macho Man desperately trying to get him over.

• Paid Members

Don’t watch Battlebowl 93. Just don’t. I endured it in full for the first time when I was doing those WCW 92/93 reviews a while ago and it was truly terrible. Worst show I saw from that period and didn’t really have any redeeming qualities. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, air_raid said:

Not in 1993 he wasn’t. Animal got injured and was cut before 1992 was out and Crush was with Fuji in December 1993 with Macho Man desperately trying to get him over.

Where's my dunce's hat? 

• 4 weeks later...