It's today then! (Biden thread)

HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

It depends how low your bar is I suppose, but I'd argue that a commitment on day one to return to the WHO fold and adhere to the Paris climate accord does suggest firmer action than just coasting along on a crest of a "I'm not Trump" wave.

Needs to do something about the fucking irresponsible move to establish the US' Embassay in Jerusalem though. Boils my blood that one.

Bernie Sanders now chairing the Budget Committee is certainly cause for optimism if you're of a leftist persuasion. 

https://www.salon.com/2021/01/18/gop-nightmare-about-to-come-true-senate-budget-committee-chair-bernie-sanders_partner/

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members

Even aside from all the rolling back of Trump legislation and reinstating Obama-era decisions, they've committed to a restoration of the Voting Rights Act, and are introducing an Act that bolsters that with a ton of new measures designed to make voter registration and voting easier and more accessible, impose restrictions and heightened transparency on campaign funding, and severely restrict corporate donations. Equality and civil rights legislation will vastly improve under the Democrats compared to under the current Republican party too.

I have very little time for the "both sides are the same" rhetoric of American politics. Yes, they're both right-of-centre arch-capitalist parties, and whoever's in charge their foreign policy will be abhorrent. But America under Biden will be a significant improvement over America under Trump, or any other Republican.

The only question mark is what, if anything, they will do to address disenfranchised Trump voters - and I think the problem there is that there's either an ignorance of, or an unwillingness to confront, the motivation of people who vote Trump.

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Millard Rausch said:

It was surprising how brief his swearing in speech was, no promise to serve people regardless of faith, etc. 

He talked about faith being one of the things showing the way, talked about prayers, quoted the Bible and St Augustine (and referenced the fact he goes to Church). What are you suggesting was missing? He actually had quite a bit more focus on religion than Trump did in his.

Edited by Chris B

• Moderators
17 hours ago, Chris B said:

He talked about faith being one of the things showing the way, talked about prayers, quoted the Bible and St Augustine (and referenced the fact he goes to Church). What are you suggesting was missing? He actually had quite a bit more focus on religion than Trump did in his.

The religious rights association of Trump as being a man of God vs Biden being an atheist heathen is another one of those bizarre leaps in logic. Seems to be more about abortion rights than anything - where of course "freedoms" go out the window for the right.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
19 hours ago, courageous said:

Well did not see this coming - pulling all support for the Yemen catastrofuck, going so far as freezing arms sales to Saudi

Fantastic news. The dumbest, most pointless and disastrous war in decades. Hopefully this will convince that cunt Mohammed Bin Salman that this war he created needs to end.

• 7 months later...