The last ever episode of WCW television (Not counting WCW Classics on Turner South)

PowerButchi

That's a nice find. This is the kind of nondescript stuff that would make a Network subscriber of me again. 

They didn't half ape that very turn of the millenium, sports package techno-rock crossover stuff in their last two years. All that Warp records hand me down style stuff that'd wake you up if you fell asleep in front of Eurosport at four in the morning. 

You can't even whistle the final Nitro theme. It has no discernible melody. It's just sheer madness. 

The last few months of WCW make me sad. It would have been funnier if it went under a year or two prior when they had way too many multi millionaires in dog rough angles up and down the card. But it became a largely straightforward, humble little wrestling show in the last 2-3 months. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

• Paid Members

I know this is a pathetic thing to admit, but I find something inherently sad when reading anything to do with the planned 'Big Bang,' or to a lesser degree, carrying on with WCW as a separate WWE 'brand'. What transpired was easily the shitest option of them all.

Even in the dying days of WCW they were still attracting comparatively healthy attendances and TV ratings the WWE would be happy with in this day and age. Forever a story of what could have been.

• Paid Members

In a lot of ways, the Big Bang not happening is probably the best thing that could have ever happened for Eric Bischoff's reputation.

They were talking about bringing in Joey Styles and Don Callis, signing Rob Van Dam, giving a big push to Lance Storm, focusing on the younger talent and so on - basically, promising every online fan in 2001 everything they wanted to hear. There's absolutely nothing in Bischoff's track record to suggest that he would have delivered on that product, or that it would have been markedly different from every other attempt to "reboot" WCW.

But because it never happened, and because it never had to be impacted on by real life and by having to deal with wrestlers' egos, Bischoff can talk retroactively about everything he'd have got exactly right and every way that the "new WCW" would have given people exactly what they wanted.

It's not just Bischoff, Heyman's exactly the same; if ECW had stayed around he'd have signed Bryan Danielson and CM Punk and given them a massive push, he'd have switched focus to make it more of an MMA-influenced production, he'd have utilised more international talent - all these really prescient, forward-thinking moves that were in absolutely no way evident from the product he was actually creating in 2001, but that make him sound like a visionary by talking about what he would have done retroactively.

59 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

That's a nice find. This is the kind of nondescript stuff that would make a Network subscriber of me again. 

They didn't half ape that very turn of the millenium, sports package techno-rock crossover stuff in their last two years. All that Warp records hand me down style stuff that'd wake you up if you fell asleep in front of Eurosport at four in the morning. 

You can't even whistle the final Nitro theme. It has no discernible melody. It's just sheer madness. 

The last few months of WCW make me sad. It would have been funnier if it went under a year or two prior when they had way too many multi millionaires in dog rough angles up and down the card. But it became a largely straightforward, humble little wrestling show in the last 2-3 months. 

Yeah it's that last bit. There was still a bit of guff going on but around very late December 2000, WCW absolutely becomes a pretty decent show again. Some of the stuff in late Feb to the pre-last Nitro is actually good fun TV with solid PPV's, Superbrawl Revenge being a really tidy show.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Sheffbag said:

WCW Mastercard? did it automatically decline due to lack of funds 

Better than the WWE one that only lets you use it on what Vince tells you to.