Youtube Thread 2000

PowerButchi

• 2 weeks later...
  • Awards Moderator
6 hours ago, Chili said:

I see the Americans got their own theme tune as they couldn't get the rights to use that Dusty Rhodes theme the UK version borrowed.

Ironically in the UK reboot of Wheel of Fortune Stephen Fry is introduced to the strains of "Common Man". 

Edited by Onyx2

14 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

Ironically in the UK reboot of Wheel of Fortune Stephen Fry is introduced to the strains of "Common Man". 

Off topic, but Graham Norton's hosting the newest Wheel of Fortune revival. Fry is the presenter of the latest attempt to bring Jeopardy! to these shores.

Think ITV got some kind of two-for-one deal there so I can see how you'd get them mixed up. 

• Paid Members

Inspired by a question in an AEW thread, my thoughts inevitably turned back to peak WWF. Here's a match I will definitely have watched at the time but completely forgot about - it's The Rock vs Shane McMahon for the WWF title in a cage match on a Raw between Backlash and Judgment Day 2000, at the peak of "McMahon-Helmsley era/regime/faction" / Corporation X. So yes, Vince, Steph and Hunter are all running around.

All the ingredients are there for the formula that made the telly compelling for months if not years on end. Skilled performers doing their roles well, molten crowd, ongoing storyline arcs all weaving together, JR & King giving their all in an enthusiastic call, match gets an actual winner in that sweet spot nailing both "not a cop out TV finish" and "still want to see what happens next."

Just watch it. It's a decent 10 minutes of your day to be reminded that we were spoiled. Unless Rocky was never the babyface for you, of course.

Edited by air_raid

With a few minor snags WWF 2000 is pretty much the best year of the company until September when Steph takes over from Chris Kreski (Pritchard always denies he did shit, but it's bollocks innit) and Steve Austin had his absolute worst period of omnipresent stunnering. It would have been amazing if just a load of the faces and heels he beat up just mashed in the fucker one time. I know you got ran over, we're on it mate, but you're acting the cunt. Foley should have smacked him one.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chili said:

Steve Austin had his absolute worst period of omnipresent stunnering. It would have been amazing if just a load of the faces and heels he beat up just mashed in the fucker one time. I know you got ran over, we're on it mate, but you're acting the cunt. Foley should have smacked him one.

You say that, but everything from his return building to the eventual meeting with Rock at Mania XVII was absolute peak pro wrestling in highlight form, with Armageddon and the six-way Cell smack in the middle. The escalating entrances for that match (and the older I get the more I enjoy entrances compared to matches) still give me goosebumps today. Then you get to WrestleMania itself and the stars align - in the words of Stone Cold "take Debra out of the equation, she's a non-factor" and you're left with the two hottest babyfaces in forever finally meeting for the belt when each can argued to be at their peak, when the business is at a peak, at a Mania. End chapter. It's never been bigger, it never will be again. There was some collateral damage, maybe HHH or Angle might have had a case to be in the Mania main event after their 2000 (each would, obviously, still get their main events in subsequent years), but I don't think anyone that Austin trampled on during his rampage suffered any lasting damage.

Or that it was any worse than his first prime. He beat up Mick himself plenty over the "Pick Me Steve" weeks, Stunned our fave Ken Shamrock during the same time when most goodies were banding together against the Harts (made Kenny look silly there too) and dropped JR, King and virtually everyone else we loved. I think he looked a bigger twat then, when I think deeper about it. There's probably only Sable he could have attacked and not got cheered for at the time. Which I really didn't care for, as to me he was "Bret's enemy" all the way through to Montreal so I didn't think anyone should be cheering him regardless. Dirty stinking hyena.

8 minutes ago, air_raid said:

You say that, but everything from his return building to the eventual meeting with Rock at Mania XVII was absolute peak pro wrestling in highlight form, with Armageddon and the six-way Cell smack in the middle. The escalating entrances for that match (and the older I get the more I enjoy entrances compared to matches) still give me goosebumps today. Then you get to WrestleMania itself and the stars align - in the words of Stone Cold "take Debra out of the equation, she's a non-factor" and you're left with the two hottest babyfaces in forever finally meeting for the belt when each can argued to be at their peak, when the business is at a peak, at a Mania. End chapter. It's never been bigger, it never will be again. There was some collateral damage, maybe HHH or Angle might have had a case to be in the Mania main event after their 2000 (each would, obviously, still get their main events in subsequent years), but I don't think anyone that Austin trampled on during his rampage suffered any lasting damage.

Or that it was any worse than his first prime. He beat up Mick himself plenty over the "Pick Me Steve" weeks, Stunned our fave Ken Shamrock during the same time when most goodies were banding together against the Harts (made Kenny look silly there too) and dropped JR, King and virtually everyone else we loved. I think he looked a bigger twat then, when I think deeper about it. There's probably only Sable he could have attacked and not got cheered for at the time. Which I really didn't care for, as to me he was "Bret's enemy" all the way through to Montreal so I didn't think anyone should be cheering him regardless. Dirty stinking hyena.

Sorry I meant Austin from September 2000 - Oct/Nov 2000. Absolutely unbearable annoyance to the show looking back even if he's still white hot.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Chili said:

Sorry I meant Austin from September 2000 - Oct/Nov 2000. Absolutely unbearable annoyance to the show looking back even if he's still white hot.

Admit it, you just thought Steve Blackman deserved better.

Isn't that the same period of the heel Rikishi experiment? Fucking woeful stuff, he was pretty hot before that and although he's positioned near the top he's constantly getting killed by both Austin and The Rock. It did fuck all for him.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

Isn't that the same period of the heel Rikishi experiment? Fucking woeful stuff, he was pretty hot before that and although he's positioned near the top he's constantly getting killed by both Austin and The Rock. It did fuck all for him.

Exactly that, Austin's comeback match was with him at No Mercy and it was totally ludicrous that Austin didnt even pin him on the night as opposed to just trying to killing him. Because they couldn't beat him before The Rock beat him, I guess. Still, worth it for the unintentional hilarity of him waddling down in the main event bandaged up like Paul Ince that night in Rome but if he'd swallowed Gazza whole, quite obviously shouting "SHIT!" at himself for accidentally smashing Rock instead of Angle, twice, before Kurt mercifully dropped him with an Olympic Slam.

I understand the principle that sometimes your hottest faces make great heels when you turn them on the fans or another hero, and they didn't have a proper plan for who ran over Austin but... shit the bed was this stupid. No, Rikishi wasn't getting ahead of Rock, Austin, Taker and HHH (at the time of his turn) in the queue, but fucking hell, they should have just had Hunter turn as the driver and had done with it. I know Kish was an easy guy to wrestle and they needed someone to feed to Austin, and I bet Rock was very keen to try and get his pretend family over as a top level heel but... it just wasn't there. If you want three top goodies and three top baddies, they'd JUST turned Kane, he'd have not looked out of place in that Cell match like Rikishi did.

Instead by Mania you've got Rock with Austin, Hunter with Taker, Angle bringing Benoit up to his level, Kane dicking around in the hardcore division having put him and Taker back together like nothing ever happened, and Rikishi with a defrosted Haku in a new Islanders. Not really what they were hoping for, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...