Bloody Awful Matches (that you love for some reason)

Mr. Levity 84

Been lurking and posting occasionally here for years, desperately trying to come up with a decent idea for discussion. Hope this floats your boats.

For some reason, I love awful matches ... sometimes. For example, the Undertaker vs. Big Bossman Hell in a Cell match at WMXV is something I enjoyed at the time, and still enjoy to this day. I also love the No Mercy 1999 (UK) show for it's utterly dire bouts and ridiculously short runtime. Perhaps it's nostalgia, or perhaps I'm just rather strange, but these particular bouts are some of my favourites of all time, and I have no proper idea as to why.

So, which bouts (which were panned by critics and/or fans) do you love for some reason?

Hmmm I like specific matches featuring my childhood favourites, a lot of which are considered poor matches. Being a big Luger fan, I really like Lex Vs Yoko from Summerslam 93. I liked nearly all of Ludvig Borgas matches too, he wrestled with such an arrogant recklessness that I enjoyed but almost no one else did. 

My favourite Royal Rumble is either 94 or 95, which most would probably consider two of the worst. Both were great storytelling, in 94 Bret and Lex sold their stuff brilliantly and executed the ending to perfection. In 95 Shawn put in what has been overlooked as one of the best one man performances ever imo. 

I realised none of these would really be considered 'bloody awful' and tbh I'm struggling to think of any universally panned matches that I enjoyed. It's more mediocre level stuff that I enjoyed.

Edited by LEGIT

• Paid Members

In fairness I've never had much interest in workrate and for years couldn't have really picked out the difference between what made a "good" and "bad" match, it was all about settling scores in a long running storyline for me as a kid.

In fact, to be honest, the matches themselves were usually less interesting to me than the interviews and entrances. Probably explains why I found WWF Superstars and then the Attitude era to be so watchable compared to the drawn out matches of today. Bang, finisher, next match.

I was genuinely shocked when I first got the internet and realised that WM9 was almost universally panned as a shit PPV. But honestly I could go back and watch any of the show's matches anytime based on nothing more than blind nostalgia and my genuine love of that show.

But picking another one out from a mediocre event, and following a similar theme, I could go back and watch Sid v Hulk Hogan at WM8 anytime.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

In fact I bloody love that show regardless of how poorly it is regarded. 

Wrestlemania 2, especially the PPV rather than retrospectively edited version, is hilarious for how chaotic it is. The antithesis of the WWE's current slick production.

I hold so much regard for the 1983-1987 WWF and Rock n Wrestling era, before the company finally found its feet from a production pov.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members

The entire of Survivor Series 1990. Every match is basically either phoned in by the big stars, ruined by chickenshit dq or count-out eliminations, or boring. However I love it from start to finish. The entrances of The Warriors (second best yellow-box team ever), the drama of the Perfect-Plex to Warrior mere seconds after Tornado succumbed, the ominous first appearance of the Undertaker, Brets heroics coming from 3 on 1 down to snatching defeat from the jaws of victory (breaking my heart), the beauty of the Power-Plex to Shawn, the building dread at how many more were getting onto the baddies team for the finale, Hogan slamming Earthquake, Sgt Laughter conspiring to defeat himself. The final itself gives quite a few satisfying moments ; seeing Tito actually pin someone at this stage of his career, Hogan absolutely murdering Roma with a clothesline after popping straight up from the Power-Plex, DiBiase throwing a strop when The Model takes a walk. I love it.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Tsurutagun said:

The I Quit match between Bret and Backlund just for Roddy Pipers "what do ya say" 

That was the only 'I Quit' match I'd seen at that point, so come Wrestlemania 13 I couldn't understand why Ken Shamrock wasn't shoving a microphone in Austin's face.

1 hour ago, The Cutting Edge said:

Triple H vs Scott Steiner at both Rumble and No Way Out 03 both pretty ropey but I enjoyed the build and matches.

Goldberg matches especially the longer ones where more goes wrong 

Yes, exactly this! I loved their Royal Rumble and No Way Out 2003 matches for some reason! Probably the excessive belly to belly suplexes.