10 years since Scott Halls last match

JakeRobertsParoleOfficer

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Tommy! said:

If drink and drugs were an issue for Vince in 96 were you putting the belt on Shawn? 

Fair enough. 

I would have thought Hall would have at least been champ during the mid/late 90s, when the cool anti-hero was the main-eventer of the day. 

• Paid Members

I remember watching Royal Rumble 2001 and being convinced Scott Hall was coming back to the WWF when I saw Triple H hit a Razor’s Edge on Kurt Angle. I was sure it was some cryptic clue and he’d be back by Mania. Obviously nothing of the sort happened and I’m not even sure what was the situation with Hall was at that time. Didn’t he do a tour of Japan around then or was he one of the ones still sitting out collecting that Turner paycheque? 

• Paid Members

While I'm a sucker for mid 90's WWF usually, I much preferred his character in WCW over Razor Ramon which was always a bit 'meh' to me.

As @Merzbow said, he was never a top tier act in the WWF and was more of solid mid/upper midcard guy.

Of course if he was 10 years younger he'd have had a run with the belt post-2001 no problem, when star power was falling off a cliff. (Way bigger star than Guerrero, Benoit etc).

As pointed out earlier, he turned up in 2010 in TNA looking about ten times better than he had any right to, given his wild ways!

Its mad how many prime years of his career that he lost to his 'demons' as they'd say over there.

Edited by garynysmon

I like Hall. I think there was a period where he became a load of people's cult favourite for awhile - kind of one of those dark horse should have been top dog shouts - but I think a lot of that went hand in hand with his well documented recovery story and the sentimentality surrounding it. For me his best run was as Razor and being the definitive upper, upper mid card worker of the New Gen era.

Could they have peaked him a little more, there? Definitely. A heel run again Shawn in 1996, as previously stated, would have been great. You could probably do a face run against a heel Diesel that year, too, had both stayed. He'd have been fucking great horsing around the Undertaker, selling all his spooky gimmicks or playing it too cool. There's a proper run against Hart in there too to pick up where they left off in '93. 

Yeah...loads of botched potential, really. 

Then he went to WCW. He's just...nothing...for me in WCW. He actually seems to handily represent the more repetitive, smug elements of what the nWo would become. None of his matches stand out, same boring promos, same jeans and t-shirt look. Not the star Hogan was, not as cool as Kev, surrounded by better workers  below him. They all snoozed their way through those years on their guaranteed contracts, but Hall was proper shit there. 

I'm not sure how I feel about him nowadays. I'm glad he's well - and there's plenty of worse people in the business - but there's something of a jerk about him, isn't there. The carny is alive and well. I find him hard to love, as I'm sure a few do. 

spacer.png

"Scott Hall? Whose he. Shawn had that match with a ladder, brother."

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

spacer.png

"Scott Hall? Whose he. Shawn had that match with a ladder, brother."

Flair can fuck off with that though. He spent those shoot video interviews so far up the rear end of "Hunter and Shawn."

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, wandshogun09 said:

Didn’t he do a tour of Japan around then or was he one of the ones still sitting out collecting that Turner paycheque? 

Hall was sacked by WCW in the September of 2000. He did a few dates with ECW, then went on a couple of tours with New Japan. He'd been available for a good 18 months prior to re-signing with the WWF. I dont know if they'd have ever brought him back if it wasnt for the nWo gimmick demanding his return.

His career's sort of been over since 1998 to be honest. That's the last time he really stuck around for longer than 3 months anywhere. Ever since then he's been in and out of places. Now he's fairly reliable for what they want out of him. He's like the new Fred Blassie for them. Where if he gets to the ring without falling over, its seen as a win.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, wandshogun09 said:

I remember watching Royal Rumble 2001 and being convinced Scott Hall was coming back to the WWF when I saw Triple H hit a Razor’s Edge on Kurt Angle. I was sure it was some cryptic clue and he’d be back by Mania. Obviously nothing of the sort happened and I’m not even sure what was the situation with Hall was at that time.

I had a similar thing when Jim Ross started calling Shelton Benjamin’s a corner splash a Stinger Splash in the mid ‘00s.

Dunno if it's cause and effect but if him and Nash stuck around in 96 I wonder if the Kliq would become an onscreen act like DX?

It's hard to gauge now because DX/Harts and other gangs at the time were probably made in retaliation to the nwo, Ofcourse it's fantasy booking and screws everything up that happened but interesting all the same

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

Fair enough. 

I would have thought Hall would have at least been champ during the mid/late 90s, when the cool anti-hero was the main-eventer of the day. 

Once he was in WCW he was never getting near the belt due to the politics and wealth of star power, except when they started circling the drain but by then he was no showing enough to get a bad rep (which is something of an achievement in 99 wcw) and was off his tits 24/7. Wasn't he also fucking about with the daughter or niece of a senior Time Warner executive for a spell so every personal fuck up was under a microscope? 

It was all building to hogan sting and halls not getting in on that. He's not a better stop gap than face luger.

Hes doing better numbers than the hogan piper series, which didn't need the belt for all of it given piper wins non title, but Hogan's not letting anyone get near that belt without his approval. Hall was with Nash and lines were drawn quick between the hogan and Nash camps. Giving the belt to hall isn't flying up Hogan's flagpole. 

After sting it's Goldberg, then it's 99 and he's given up on work to take paid leave and get smashed out his gourd rather than work. 

In WWF the guy the were balls deep in was Shawn, before Shawn it was Nash, before Nash it was bret. It's hard to look back without modern eyes, in an age where everyone gets a two week run with one of the 8 world titles floating about but the seeds of that mentality didn't really start until 97 or 98 unless you really were just a transitional champ like backlund or shiek, and in truth Hall had too much going for him and wasn't expendable enough to get put in that spot. 

Personally I'd have preferred him over Nash in 95 but I'm probably in the minority. 

If he hadn't gone tonto in 99 he'd have definitely got a run in 2000, because evey cunt got a run in 2000, but then what does that really mean in the grand scheme of things. 

This will always be my defining Scott Hall moment:

spacer.png

Loved the Razor character 

Whilst he was compensated well and was integral to kickstarying the Monday night Wars, creatively I thought it was the shits for him. 

Burried balls Deep in his own arse, obnoxious, booze and coke up un managed Hall ala:

spacer.png

Did nowt for me! 

Edited by JakeRobertsParoleOfficer