10 years since Scott Halls last match

JakeRobertsParoleOfficer

Hi guys 

Where has time gone? Can't believe it's 10 years since the quasi Wolfpac/nWo reunion in TNA. 

Now 62 I think Halls last match was 2010.

Looling back, where do we rate Hall?? 

Personally loved his Razor 'run'. Still remember staying up silly late to watch live wwf Povs on Nynex.  Pinning Backlund, the whole 123 kid stuff.... Ladder match. Couldn't get enough of it. 

His later Wcw stuff I was in/out of as preferred 'razor' over Hall, tho acknowledge there was alot of crossover at times. 

Remember being thrilled when he returned to wwf in 02 but didn't last long then tried to follow his later runs via Internet and tape traders. 

I was so pleased when he showed up to tna looking like this:

spacer.png

Genuinely thought he had one last good run. Shame he fucked it literally the following week!!! 

So where'd you rate him? Was he the modern Rick Rude? Should he have held the World title?, did he reach his limit??

I think he was a super worker that achieved his limit. I just can't see him as a world champion, yet I can see Warrior and Goldberg as one??? 

Thought he was underrated as a sympathetic babyface at the '95 Rumble, obnoxious as fuck in the nwo which I suppose was the point but given they only got their comeuppance a couple of times and then always ignored it straight afterwards I'd say he was a terrible heel 

Was still excited to see him come back in 2002 but all the usual shite happened plus he was past it by then anyway 

He was 43/44 in 02. Still looked the part physically:

spacer.png

Still had the hair (still does now) & style lent itself to longevity.  He could conceivably got another 10 yrs out of wwf if he'd kept it together. Looking back I'd have preferred it if he'd came back as Razor. 

That 18 months after that wwf run he looked like this shows just how badly he let it go

spacer.png

That he looked decent again in 2010 after caining it for 5+ years was a miracle... Tho we all know. What happened after. 

Jim Cornette recently answered that question and gave good insight to why it wouldn't happen.

I'd say him beating Backlund instead of Diesel was his best shot, instead of hotshotting Diesel which would be him vs HBK more time together, learn then split etc

As for Razor just have him face the guys Diesel did like Bret, Owen or whoever it was, have Razor vs HBK for the title and Bret vs Diesel would be better than we got.

Anytime in wcw not a chance, too many main event sharks and he started unraveling pretty early on too, wwe must've kept him in better check or maybe he got worse either way I dunno.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Merzbow said:

If he couldn't be world champion during those lean years of the new generation is he really top title material?

I love so much of his time in wrestling but I just can't think of one time where he would have been champ above others.

But, as has been pointed out, surely that was largely down to the simple fact his alcoholism made him completely unreliable to any promoter?

Great look, good matches, killer promo, cool bad-ass aura - I don't see how it could've been anything else that prevented him from being placed as the top dog.

6 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

But, as has been pointed out, surely that was largely down to the simple fact his alcoholism made him completely unreliable to any promoter?

Great look, good matches, killer promo, cool bad-ass aura - I don't see how it could've been anything else that prevented him from being placed as the top dog.

But that wasn't a factor in his Razor run, was it? He was there at WWFs lowest point and wasn't a top dog.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

But that wasn't a factor in his Razor run, was it? He was there at WWFs lowest point and wasn't a top dog.

Was it not? I was under the impression he'd had drink problems since the late 80s. Happy to be corrected if not.

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Was it not? I was under the impression he'd had drink problems since the late 80s. Happy to be corrected if not.

If drink and drugs were an issue for Vince in 96 were you putting the belt on Shawn? 

• Paid Members

I was a massive Razor fan and would’ve loved to have seen him win the big belt in the mid 90s but, like others have said, he wasn’t ever likely to be the chosen one in Vince’s eyes. There was always a Lex Luger or Diesel around who would be more in line with his vision of ‘the guy’, and there was always Bret in the mix as the reliable safe pair of hands. By 95 I think Razor had outgrown the IC title but by then Shawn was on his way to becoming the top babyface at the following WrestleMania.

The best I think Razor could’ve hoped for would be if he’d stayed in 96, turned heel and had a run as the challenger for the belt when Shawn had it. A third ladder match as the blow-off to the feud but this time with Shawn as the face and Razor as the heel would’ve been great and put a bow on their series nicely. But I don’t think they’d have ever actually gone with him winning the thing. Not to mention it wouldn’t have equalled his impact as a NWO original in WCW and he certainly wouldn’t have made the money he got from Billionaire Ted those few years he was there.

An alternate universe where Razor stays in the WWF in 96 and beyond fascinates me though. More than if Kevin Nash had stayed. Him and Shawn might’ve died on the road in 97 though if they’d kept going the way they were.