Wrestling Magazines 2020

The Reverend

This isn't a selling post (honest!) So thought it could go here rather than the Classifieds.

There's a new wrestling magazine out titled 'Inside the Ropes'. It's got guys such as Fin Martin, Bill Apter and Brian Elliot behind it. 

Wrestle Talk still seems to be going (albeit with most of the staff and features going over to Inside the Ropes) and Pro Wrestling Illustrated is still in print bi-monthly - so it's nice to see that in 2020 there's still a few wrestling publications hanging in there! 

• Paid Members

I received a copy of Inside the Ropes today. It's hilarious how much it's almost exactly like Powerslam, down to having the same massively outdated graphic design and font. I've not read it cover to cover, but I couldn't see one mention of Speaking Out when flicking through, which is not surprising I suppose, but a shame. Nothing on the UK scene either, like in the good old days. It's nice to have it back, and I know they'll save money by not having it in WH Smiths, but it seems mad to relaunch a mag that died 6 years ago with no fresh angle or anything new at all. There's no poster in the middle I suppose, so it means you can get a column from Bill Apter lying about being excited to write in a first issue of a magazine, for the thousandth time. 

• Paid Members

I still buy some magazines - I tend to pick up a copy of Fortean Times if I'm at the airport, and used to subscribe to The Chap and The Idler - but they need to offer something that you're not getting online. Which means that "breaking news" and show recaps isn't going to cut it, you need to offer insight and long-form analysis in greater depth than what you'd get from social media and whatnot. I can't see how rehashing the Powerslam format ticks those boxes.

• Paid Members
50 minutes ago, gmoney said:

down to having the same massively outdated graphic design and font.

Is it supposed to be like the classic WWF magazine? That was my first thought.

3 minutes ago, TomJones233 said:

Why would a magazine work in 2020? I literally don't see the point. Same with gaming mags.

People still read, right? You can get it as a PDF on your devices. Don't see why a good magazine wouldn't work. This won't.

4 hours ago, gmoney said:

I received a copy of Inside the Ropes today. It's hilarious how much it's almost exactly like Powerslam, down to having the same massively outdated graphic design and font. I've not read it cover to cover, but I couldn't see one mention of Speaking Out when flicking through, which is not surprising I suppose, but a shame. Nothing on the UK scene either, like in the good old days. It's nice to have it back, and I know they'll save money by not having it in WH Smiths, but it seems mad to relaunch a mag that died 6 years ago with no fresh angle or anything new at all. There's no poster in the middle I suppose, so it means you can get a column from Bill Apter lying about being excited to write in a first issue of a magazine, for the thousandth time. 

It is a shame they haven't covered speaking out. That said w the legal issues that can arise from even remotely alluding to people involved I can see why they would steer well clear. 

Football magazine wise I always liked World Soccer because it gave an overview of what was happening in parts of the world I couldn't access through live/highlighted games. I liked the analysis of that months talking points and results/stats section. If I was still into football today, I'd probably still buy it for the overviews and analysis because for the most part, the internet doesn't offer that in a single place to a high enough standard.

In terms of wrestling magazines, it's a bit different because the WWE is really the only mass worldwide appealing brand in the industry. The more you offer away from the WWE, the more niche you become and that's been the issue for years. Those who want magazines want niche content and there just isn't enough people left to make it viable because they source their information from the same places the magazine writers do. Twitter doesn't help matters because in 1998 if I wanted to know Curt Hennig's opinion of the Montreal Screwjob I'd have to wait for an interview with him and hope the question was asked. Today (if still alive obviously) I could either tweet him and ask or he'd probably have made his opinion known within days if twitter was a thing then. Waiting 30+ days for second hand info is a worry for magazines. I do think they have a future but it's more along the lines of in-depth analysis and investigative journalism, something worth paying for and something the internet wouldn't be arsed doing.

• Paid Members

I'm still a big magazine reader.  I subscribe to Inside The Ropes and Wrestletalk for wrestling, World Soccer and The Blizzard (not really a magazine, I know) for football, and also Viz.  Used to subscribe to FSM and Powerslam too.

20 years ago I was into wrestling magazines mostly for the news.  Now its the long form analysis, reviews, and general though provoking content.

Football magazines offer a variety of stories from around the world that you often wouldn't find on many websites.

Overall, I find it hard to read off a screen, whether its a web-browser or e-book, and so I spend a lot of time on public transport, at airports etc reading magazines.  I know its a dated and dying industry, but one I still get a lot from.