Next gen & other gaming news

Merzbow

I waited by the window all day yesterday, ready to fully immerse myself in launch day hysteria. The little lad had sore feet so the good lady asked if I could take him for his eye appointment in the car (she doesn’t drive, we don’t take him to the opticians for sore feet) and lo and behold the fucker arrives within ten minutes of me being out of the house.

It’s tucked away behind the telly for now, I actually like the aesthetic but it’s too big and I need a new tv unit if not for practical reasons then to appease my lady who has to have a ginormous router looking box in her carefully designed impeccably presented living room.

I’ve started Miles Morales and that looks like a fairly decent improvement on an already excellent game. Astro’s Playroom is excellent in it’s own right and I can’t wait to couch coop  it with the kids. AC Vallhalla looks great but to be honest I don’t notice any huge aesthetic improvements as last gen looked great anyway and my eyes are shit.

One thing did annoy me, I was presented with AC to download out of my library and it downloaded the PS4 version instead of PS5. This seems to be an issue with all cross gen games without it being blazingly obvious which one you are downloading. Anything optimised for PS5 should be the default.

• Paid Members

My Facebook newsfeed this morning has been a friend of mine replying to people on a amazon help group as his ps5 has been nicked by the delivery driver as well as many others. All been signed off as delivered. One person had theirs swapped out for a George Foreman grill with the ps5 receipt still inside the box. 

@Harry Wiseau @CleetusVanDamme Did yours arrive yesterday?

4 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said:

My Facebook newsfeed this morning has been a friend of mine replying to people on a amazon help group as his ps5 has been nicked by the delivery driver as well as many others. All been signed off as delivered. One person had theirs swapped out for a George Foreman grill with the ps5 receipt still inside the box. 

How can this happen when they have to take pictures of the delivered item?

14 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said:

it(well, a package anyway) came eventually, after the "delay due to external factors" at 7.29am there were no updates until about 4pm when it "arrived at the final destination" - the depot it had been at around 2am, then it turned up about 8pm last night. now i have to find somewhere to hide it until Christmas, the box is massive! although having read that about the George Foreman grill i'll have to open the box up to check that's what's inside is actually a ps5 and not a load of bricks. thanks for the head up

*EDIT* - Mrs Wiseau (not her real name) has opened the box and there is a PS5 inside thankfully.

Edited by Harry Wiseau

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Well one person got the photo taken of a package at a house that wasn’t even theirs. One had it marked as delivered, photo outside their house but no package. 

If the drivers are nicking them, they’re surely agency workers who don’t care. Otherwise it’s a big risk. 

Someone I went to school with, who has been in and out of prison since he was 18 was selling a car full of them yesterday. For a grand. Could be all George Foreman grills as well tbf. 

2 minutes ago, Harry Wiseau said:

it(well, a package anyway) came eventually, after the "delay due to external factors" at 7.29am there were no updates until about 4pm when it "arrived at the final destination" - the depot it had been at around 2am, then it turned up about 8pm last night. now i have to find somewhere to hide it until christmas, the box is massive! although having read that about the George Foreman grill i'll have to open the box up to check thats what's inside is actually a ps5 and not a load of bricks. thanks for the head up

Glad it arrived mate. Hopefully it is. Always worth checking anyway. 

1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

They don’t. If they leave the parcels safely they have to take pictures but if they scan as delivered then it would be a bit awkward if you asked the customer to stand there holding it however I don’t know if that’s the case for all of Amazon. They very well may take pictures where a lot of people claim to have not received an item or when it’s an agency staff member delivering. My Xbox was left on my mums doorstep all day without out so much as a text or email to let me know it had arrived a day early. She was away.

It’s either a dodgy as fuck temp or some clever bastard is following the shit delivery driver cleaning up. Sounds like the latter to me.

Edited by Mr_Danger

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, TheBurningRed said:

That's awful. I've seen a good few horror stories, someone's "went missing" 2 minutes after arriving at a Yodel warehouse. Fingers crossed your mate can get a proper replacement, it's scummy af that some retailers were putting up more preorders while doing nothing for the people being buttfucked by thieves yesterday.

Mine came fine, and on time! Haven't set it up yet as I've got a new TV unit coming in the morning, should be able to dive in after the Chelsea game. Astro's Playroom looks the perfect introduction.

Edited by CleetusVanDamme

• Paid Members

My sister in law had a mare trying to get hold of one yesterday for her eldest for Christmas. I don't think it's going to happen. At one point I had one in my basket on amazon, but by the time she'd transferred the money to me it'd gone. She couldn't even get a preorder in for the next round of stock. Was it a similar fiasco to this with the XBox Series X? 

I'll more than likely hang fire for a year to pick up the new XBox as hopefully the price will come down a little bit and any early problems will be patched out. Unless an irresistible opportunity to obtain one comes along in the meantime. 

Have the Series X’s even had a second wind of stock? Seem’s just as hard if not harder to get one of them. Xbox who stopped reporting physical sales of Xbox’s have said it’s there best launch ever.

A lad I know sold his PS5 digital preorder for £700. Not the physical item just the preorder of it. Some mad money to be had.

10 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

I had a moderately desirable bit of kit delivered the other day and Amazon sent me a one time password that I had to give to the delivery driver to tap into his phone to mark the item as delivered.

I was speaking to an Amazon lad the other day and he reckons they get £150-£200 a day on the vans and that’s with having the vans provided so god knows why they’d jeopardise a decent wedge by doorstepping parcels let alone robbing them. Why on earth anyone nicks goods at the last stop on the production line is beyond me. I understand (not condone) opportunistic thieving like in warehouses or handballing but there’s no way you can get away with it on delivery.

Plus, my customers give me Double Deckers and let me piss in their outhouses, I’d never risk losing that!

• 2 weeks later...