Next gen & other gaming news

Merzbow

I was so happy to see Yakuza finally go multiplatform so more could play them, I'd hate to see it locked to one console again.

Microsoft and Sega do have a little history together tho, the OG Xbox was pretty much a Dreamcast 2 for a while.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I was so happy to see Yakuza finally go multiplatform so more could play them, I'd hate to see it locked to one console again.

Microsoft and Sega do have a little history together tho, the OG Xbox was pretty much a Dreamcast 2 for a while.

Dreamcast was powered by a version of Windows as well. 

It's unabashed buyers pride because I put money down on the thing, but Microsoft seem ridiculously confident this time around. The hands on videos we've seen so far have looked excellent. You could sit me down and explain to me how freezing seven games and being able to do a quick resume on any of them actually works, but it's still blatant witchcraft. 

Funnily enough I’ve just been reading about Cyberpunk being playable on both gens but not being able to be upgraded to the next gen  proper until next year. For free. I’m pretty sure PlayStation haven’t confirmed that free upgrade though. PlayStation obviously want to charge us £70 a game but they’ve got a cheek when those same games are £50 on PS4.

Has anyone started inexplicably getting emails from Amazon bringing the release dates forward for PS5 games? I’d ordered Spider-Man and Sackboy’s Big Adventure and both are apparently now being sent to me on Nov 12th - before the PS5 itself is released. It’s very odd.

The USP of console gaming - that you have a single box that'll do you for a clearly defined generation and it's games will play the same way for everyone - has been lost, and we're stuck with these PC-like upgrades and half-gens until the platform holders get what they've been wanting for years now but have had to wait for public infrastructure and opinion to catch up: cloud-based streaming of games, where all the processing power can be upgraded server side.

(Apologies for the mammoth run-on sentence.)

On 10/5/2020 at 10:54 PM, RedRooster said:

Has anyone started inexplicably getting emails from Amazon bringing the release dates forward for PS5 games? I’d ordered Spider-Man and Sackboy’s Big Adventure and both are apparently now being sent to me on Nov 12th - before the PS5 itself is released. It’s very odd.

That’s the PS5 release date for most of the world and games are region free now as far as I’m aware.

Edit: I’ve just preordered the new Call of Duty for PS5 and that’s being delivered on the 12th too.

My PS5(pre ordered from Argos) is still due to arrive on the 19th but I haven’t decided on what games to get with it as of yet, I’ve got Fifa 21 coming this week and that’s cross play so that’s my first PS5 game sorted, other then that I haven’t played DMC5 yet so I might pick up that as the special edition will be available at launch, Yakuza 7 is rumoured to be a launch title and although I’m not a fan of what they’ve done to the series for this game I’m a sucker for the Yakuza series, Dark Souls definitely isn’t for me though even if it does look great.

Edited by TildeGuy~!

Yakuza 7 isn't out on PS5 till next year, something weird is going on there. I'm wondering if Sony are getting an actual upgraded version with extra work done to it.

Xbox One and Series X versions maybe being much closer to one another, just updated resolutions or whatever.

Edited by Merzbow

14 hours ago, scratchdj said:

I know consoles are basically PCs now, but I’m finding the whole next gen confusing as fuck with regard to what games are actually next gen games.

I can handle a PC game having min/recommended specs and know there will be a varying scale of graphical and performance quality depending on how good your PC is, but I guess I can’t get my head around the idea of buying a game and knowing it’ll run on both the Xbox One and Xbox Series X. Part of getting a console has always been about owning a generational leap in power and graphical fidelity, but this generation doesn’t feel like that.

Until the Xbox One and PS4 are dropped and are no longer supported, I can’t help feeling the next generation isn’t really a big leap forward, more a few layers of polish on top of what you’ve been getting for the past 6 years.

This is all me getting old and not understanding it, basically.

I don't think it's an age thing or not understanding it. I feel completely the same. I always thought it'd get to the point where actually there's no big 'wow' jump between the generations because the technology is so good that they can only bump it up so much, and we're pretty much there now.

I'm in two minds about this cross-generation stuff. Like I quite enjoy the fact people aren't forced into spending the big bucks on a new console, but at the same time you want to be invested in something completely new that isn't just a slight improvement on something you could've already bought and probably cheaper too.

My gaming time is down a lot due to having a family etc, but even if it wasn't I'm not sure I'd be that desperate to rush into a day 1 console purchase anymore.

Another thing that muddies the next gen waters is the fact that it's pretty difficult to illustrate the generational leap via YouTube. Graphics aren't everything and you need a great TV set - I get it  - but 4k 60fps with ray tracing does look fucking incredible, and simply isn't possible on One/PS4 era systems.

If you look at the tech they're putting in these new systems versus their relative cost versus the fact that we're only seeing launch titles so far via lower quality videos then the whole thing starts to seem a bit more reasonable. Tony Hawk's American Wasteland and Perfect Dark Zero were 360 launch titles. PS4 had Call of Duty: Ghosts, a Killzone, the sports games. It's always been cross generational shite right out of the gate for console launches the last few years. 

The whole S Vs. Series X argument's definitely an interesting one, and I'm not Digital Foundry, but from what I understand the  ~velocity architecture is made for this kind of stuff. It allows next gen games to be built and then suitably optimised depending on the system you're playing it on. 

It's just all over the place for awhile. Cyberpunk on Series X is a One game. It will look slightly better, but it's not the Series X full whack upgrade. That comes next year. Thankfully CJ Projekt are doing the upgrades for both Cyberpunk and Witcher for free if you've already bought them. That's pure class, in today's marketplace. 

13 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Yakuza 7 isn't out on PS5 till next year, something weird is going on there. I'm wondering if Sony are getting an actual upgraded version with extra work done to it.

Funnily enough they’ve just announced it’s coming to PS4 on November 10th and the PS5 on March 2nd

Dame Da Ne

Edited by TildeGuy~!