Next gen & other gaming news

Merzbow

43 minutes ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

Why don't Sony stick Spiderman or God of War on Xbox then ? Or Nintendo release Zelda on PlayStation ? Those would sell well I'd imagine.

I just can't see it. If they wanted to go that route, you would have seen Forza or Halo on PS in the past. This to me looks like they are locking in some huge IP's for future exclusives.

It’s a bit different though. Microsoft are in a position where they can offer these games as part of a relatively low priced monthly subscription. Whether or not they’re exclusive doesn’t really matter when actually buying the game costs you as much as £70. The product Microsoft is looking to sell seems to be Games Pass, and that being a console exclusive for Microsoft can be a huge selling point.

Edited by RedRooster

This is one of the biggest takeovers in entertainment history. You don't spend 7.5 billion dollars to release games on your biggest rivals format. I think people are being extremely naive if they think Microsoft spent all that cash and will still release Bethesda's huge IP's on PlayStation. They will fill existing contracts like Deathloop and Ghostwire then they will be done. They are now a first party Microsoft studio.

• Paid Members

Microsoft are odd as far as exclusives go. Cuphead is available on Switch and PS4, whil I'm not doubting it could benefit Microsoft massively to keep the stuff they've just acquired as exclusives to shift more console sales, I'm sure they'd also be able to benefit from licensing some of it out to other platforms while keeping it on gamepass. It's got the potential to pay for itself in that regard, especially when you factor in that not everybody who buys an XBox is necessarily going to get gamepass. 

• Paid Members

I want next gen to play Assassin's Cred, Fallout and Elgar Scrolls games, so if its XBox I will have to bite the bullet and buy one. The wife, also known as my boss, insists that if any of those games become Xbox exclusive we can't ever buy one as she disapproves of exclusives. 

So we aren't getting an XBox either way apparently.

38 minutes ago, ReturnOfTheMack said:

I want next gen to play Assassin's Cred, Fallout and Elgar Scrolls games, so if its XBox I will have to bite the bullet and buy one. The wife, also known as my boss, insists that if any of those games become Xbox exclusive we can't ever buy one as she disapproves of exclusives. 

So we aren't getting an XBox either way apparently.

I keep rereading this and chuckling, what a conundrum.  

• Awards Moderator

This more or less confirms Xbox exclusivity:

"case by case" ie lolno. 

But then Mario and Sonic appear in games together which seemed insane in 1992. There's some rumblings Gamepass will be available on PlayStation so who knows? 

Edited by Onyx2

10 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

This more or less confirms Xbox exclusivity:

"case by case" ie lolno. 

But then Mario and Sonic appear in games together which seemed insane in 1992. There's some rumblings Gamepass will be available on PlayStation so who knows? 

I could see them allowing the new Elder Scrolls to appear on Sony consoles perhaps after a period of exclusivity on Xbox, while retaining new franchises like Starfield for themselves. 

I may just be trying to convince myself that I didn't absolutely bollocks up by pre-ordering a PS5 though. 

Got the pre order from Microsoft's own store. They've sold it as delivering on the 10th so fingers crossed I'll be playing all those pre owned 360 games I'm getting in CEX in anticipation. 

spacer.png

Depends what you are looking for really. Are you invested in or already in the ecosystem of one or the other? If not then I’d say Xbox as it’s amazing value if you get Gamepass and you won’t need to buy very many games if any. PS has the better big budget AAA exclusives but Xbox have been working hard to combat that and they’re bound to start churning out gems sooner or later.

That £28.99 a month for 24 months all access deal, for the Xbox series X looks like excellent value for someone like me who's not got the cash saved for it. If only I could find somewhere that will let me buy it now.... It seems Game and Smyths are the only places doing it and they're out of stock. 

1 hour ago, Mr_Danger said:

Depends what you are looking for really. Are you invested in or already in the ecosystem of one or the other? If not then I’d say Xbox as it’s amazing value if you get Gamepass and you won’t need to buy very many games if any. PS has the better big budget AAA exclusives but Xbox have been working hard to combat that and they’re bound to start churning out gems sooner or later.

I have both a PS4 and One S. So I'm just conflicted.

20 minutes ago, TomJones233 said:

I have both a PS4 and One S. So I'm just conflicted.

Well either way you’ll be getting the first batch of ‘next gen’ games on your current system. With Miles Morales and Horizon Forbidden West coming out on PS4 there’s no way that whatever the GoW follow up is that’s slated for next year won’t be too imo.

It is a tough choice though because you know at some point Naughty Dog will release a banger or two and with the aforementioned big three games getting early gen releases you know they’ll be looking to double dip in to those franchises. 

Personally I’ve gone PS5 and I’ll maybe see how the cloud streaming service is on Xbox at some point.