Next gen & other gaming news

Merzbow

Has anyone got an Series X? My brother got one today and it's been nothing short of a nightmare.

He rushed through setting it up and it just started being a twat. It shut down twice for no reason and when he plugged his HDD in to transfer his XBO stuff over and it just went scolding hot and shut down. 

A hard reset and a slow walk through it seems to be running ok now. The loading speeds are impressive but the pad is noisy as fuck. 

Just wondering if anyone else has one and/or encountered any problems with yours. 

2 hours ago, scratchdj said:

@Rule One Yeah, that sounds really broken. Mine’s been rock solid, icy cold and whisper quiet ever since I’ve got it. I’d say anything other than that is worth a return.

My PS5 arrived yesterday and the controller is fucking wonderful. Astro’s Playroom is possibly the best Mario game since Galaxy.

Cheers for the reply, he's keeping the console for the moment as there's no way he's getting a replacement in the next month or so. 

It's been running fine today, cold as ice and really quiet, no shutdowns or crashes. I think the integration between the SSD, external HDD/SSD's has been bodged along with a lot of the backwards compatibility. 

I can't make heads or tails of this upgraded nonsense. He's put in Mortal Kombat 11 and it's got about 100gb of downloading to do overall so it can look a tiny bit better in 4k as far as I can gather. The install menu makes no sense but we're letting it run through to see how the console handles things. 

It's certainly put me off considering getting one. 

@scratchdj Fifa looks really good, thanks for replying and posting footage. I'm wondering if online play will become better now because the system might be able to process things much faster than previous generations or EA haven't sorted their shitty servers out and it will just be a faster shitshow than players currently get.

Since the X was hard reset and no external HDD/SSD's plugged in, its ran as it should be expected to. No crashes, no insane heat or no delays. It seems a decent bit of kit when it's running well, the load times on Mortal Kombat 11 both off and online were seriously impressive. Older games have run amazingly well and fast too. 

Microsoft still need to sort the adaptive software out in terms of user interface, 3rd party games/items and the flow of servers but it's early days and things can only improve. 

I'm still not tempted by either myself at the moment but another year or two and I'll be on board. 

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, King of Hamptons said:

With Christmas money now have enough for a PS5.. Just got to find one. I refuse to pay ebay prices. Anyone know when more are being released? Or is it a case of keep looking? 

Nothing confirmed. All a waiting game at the moment unfortunately. Most places saying 2021 but no specific date. Just have to keep looking. There's some trackers on Twitter and Twitch etc.

• Paid Members

I think it could be getting on for spring, which is a bit crap. I've got the money for a Series X, and am tempted to try and pick one up, but again I hear they're kind of scarce.