Hi-Fi Separates

MPDTT

Loads of Off Topic threads on various genres of music, but I see none on Hi-Fi kit. 

I've been loyal to Cambridge Audio separates since the early 2000's and same goes for Wharfedale speakers. I'm thinking of adding a network streamer so I can play from Spotify in the highest quality possible - thing is, this equipment costs a fortune! Cambridge Audio's network streamers range from £800 (CXN V2) - £1300 (AZUR 851N). Anyone got any experience with Network Streamers? Are they worth the money?

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, MPDTT said:

Loads of Off Topic threads on various genres of music, but I see none on Hi-Fi kit. 

I've been loyal to Cambridge Audio separates since the early 2000's and same goes for Wharfedale speakers. I'm thinking of adding a network streamer so I can play from Spotify in the highest quality possible - thing is, this equipment costs a fortune! Cambridge Audio's network streamers range from £800 (CXN V2) - £1300 (AZUR 851N). Anyone got any experience with Network Streamers? Are they worth the money?

Don’t piss about, just get yourself a nice Beats by Dre Bluetooth speaker  https://www.beatsbydre.com/uk/speakers/beats-pill-plus

What else could you need?

Recently switched my seperates to go more vintage with a new amp. Technics SU3500

IMG-20200823-164013.jpg

Manufactured in the late 70s, works well and has a lovely warm sound.

Usually listen to vinyl, my turntable is a 1981 Luxman PD-277. Refurbished in Poland with a wider plinth. Then I added a Shure M75ED cartridge to complete the original sound.

IMG-20200823-163855-1.jpg

I have a set of Mission floor speakers which my mate gave me. They don't sound much different to a set of book shelf ones I was also given. That's the next thing I would like to upgrade.

• Moderators

Anyone know much about active speakers? At some point I'd like to update my monitors which are just old HiFi speakers atm. I'd like some that are reasonably neutral for mixing when recording, but also with a bit of warmth for listening. Maybe a question for @Loki although as a hobbyist I don't need to go nuts with it...

Edited by Chest Rockwell

40 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Anyone know much about active speakers? At some point I'd like to update my monitors which are just old HiFi speakers atm. I'd like some that are reasonably neutral for mixing when recording, but also with a bit of warmth for listening. Maybe a question for @Loki although as a hobbyist I don't need to go nuts with it...

Yamaha HS7 are are a good pair of fairly cheap monitors. 

2 hours ago, Rossman said:

Recently switched my seperates to go more vintage with a new amp. Technics SU3500

Manufactured in the late 70s, works well and has a lovely warm sound.

Usually listen to vinyl, my turntable is a 1981 Luxman PD-277. Refurbished in Poland with a wider plinth. Then I added a Shure M75ED cartridge to complete the original sound.

I have a set of Mission floor speakers which my mate gave me. They don't sound much different to a set of book shelf ones I was also given. That's the next thing I would like to upgrade.

@Rossman that looks amazing. My Hi-Fi is a reasonably modern one and I don't have an interest in Vinyl, so no record player. Made up of various Cambridge Audio Azur models + Monitor Audio BR2s. The whole system must be at least 10 years old by now, but it still looks and sounds great. Annoyingly however, the DAB tuner doesn't support DAB+.   

6LftofR.jpg

• Paid Members
20 hours ago, MPDTT said:

@Rossman that looks amazing. My Hi-Fi is a reasonably modern one and I don't have an interest in Vinyl, so no record player. Made up of various Cambridge Audio Azur models + Monitor Audio BR2s. The whole system must be at least 10 years old by now, but it still looks and sounds great. Annoyingly however, the DAB tuner doesn't support DAB+.   

6LftofR.jpg

What music do you listen to? 

• Moderators

If we're talking portable audio I spent in inordinate amount of time researching and trying speakers out and ultimately went with Audio Pro. Their whole line is just really fantastic sound and build quality. Great battery life too.

(Have no idea about their multi room capability though because that's not my use case)