Hi-Fi Separates

MPDTT

• Paid Members
On 8/23/2020 at 5:51 PM, Chest Rockwell said:

Anyone know much about active speakers? At some point I'd like to update my monitors which are just old HiFi speakers atm. I'd like some that are reasonably neutral for mixing when recording, but also with a bit of warmth for listening. Maybe a question for @Loki although as a hobbyist I don't need to go nuts with it...

I've got some basic M-Audio AV-40 monitors mounted to the wall that do the job (not sure what the latest model is though, they are about 7 years old.) Nice and neutral for mixing/audio production, and they sound decent for listening to records on my turntable. They have both RCA inputs and TRS inputs so can handle both inputs at the same time. 

Are you using an amp for listening? Main thing I learned when running my turntable/amp into my active speakers was that the amp will need pre-outs. That way you can run an RCA cable to the active speakers to hook them up.

Also bear in mind, if you use the pre outs on the amp, you can't use the headphone jack from the amp as well.