So Cyber Agent, the parent company of NOAH, DDT and Tokyo Joshi Pro have merged all it's separate promotions under one banner which they're calling CyberFight.

They're apparently intent on going head to head with New Japan. This is super interesting to me for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, is there a way they can coalesce these promotions into a coherent identity? Noah, from the little I've watched recently still seems to be comparitively staid in next to to the more left field bits of DDT and Tokyo Joshi Pro.

Secondly, does this mean anything to AEW? Does the working relationship DDT had with Omega still hold and does that affect the status of the guys who are going back and forth between AEW and NJPW, once the pandemic lifts?

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Your Fight Site said:

The logo looks like some early ‘00s e-fed logo.

The name sounds like some early 00s efed.

I suppose DDT is currently the most popular of the 3. NOAH's roster isn't upto much and TJP is a shite, cutesy, joshi indie, from the very little I've seen of it. Doubtless the parent company has plans to expand, but they're way short at the moment. So short, they don't appreciate just how lacking they are. My guess would be this'll have zero impact on AEW, or wrestling in general. DDT could draw 10,000 or so for their annual event. The addition of the other 2 might bump that up to 12,000 (in non-Covid times). Essentially, they bought 3 shit promotions & now want to merge them into 1 larger shit promotion.

• Paid Members

It really saddens me to see NOAH outdrawn by DDT. Not because I dislike DDT, but because of how big NOAH once was. Some of the biggest matches and shows in Japan at one point, and now it's gone the way of AJPW.

1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

It really saddens me to see NOAH outdrawn by DDT. Not because I dislike DDT, but because of how big NOAH once was. Some of the biggest matches and shows in Japan at one point, and now it's gone the way of AJPW.

NOAH was basically just All Japan with a green coat of paint during the promotions peak and from I can remember failed miserably at making new stars and became increasingly dependant on the likes of Musawa.

Didn't they also get booted off TV because of a Yakuza scandal?

Edited by The King Of Swing

• Paid Members
44 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

NOAH was basically just All Japan with a green coat of paint during the promotions peak and from I can remember failed miserably at making new stars and became increasingly dependant on the likes of Musawa.

Didn't they also get booted off TV because of a Yakuza scandal?

Yeh, it's a bit of an odd one about the stars, now that you mention it. I can't think of anyone outside the original AJPW aces that went with them that had any kind of high profile. There was Rikio, Morishima, Shiozaki, Marufuji, Sugiura, and KENTA, but most of them didn't last or weren't popular for long or simply didn't reach the heights that the previous "Big 5" did. Morishima's a mess now, very sad story. KENTA's probably the only one who maintained any big star power, and that was most likely from working outside NOAH after it declined. But they did have big shows - Kobashi vs. Misawa in 2003 was pretty big, and they did get to the point where they were doing shows overseas. 

Didn't know about the yaks, but it wouldn't surprise me - they're involved in most forms of live entertainment. It's what killed PRIDE off too.

41 minutes ago, gmoney said:

All Japan is still limping along isn't it? Do they ever work with NOAH? 

They're still going, but they've had to work with several other promotions over the years. Wouldn't surprise me if they had worked with NOAH recently, given the latter's decline in fortunes. But I haven't kept up with the absolute latest. I'm not even sure how to get hold of NOAH or AJPW programming outside traders and torrents, to be honest. There's probably some streaming app going, there always is these days.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members

The only Japanese stuff I've ever really enjoyed was NOAH and 80's/90's AJPW, never got into New Japan or DG and outside a best of Onita comp never felt the need to dig into FMW, so it's sad to see them both scraping their arse on the coals.

If there was some push from this to put on the odd big(ish) show recapturing that style on a supershow style format I'd be taking a look. 

52 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

NOAH or AJPW programming outside traders and torrents, to be honest. There's probably some streaming app going, there always is these days.

NOAH is included in DDT's streaming service and I believe All Japan started their own but have no idea how active it is or even if it is still going.

Should be noted that classic content for both promotions isn't available on their platforms due to ownership rights I believe so it's only modern content that is available.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

NOAH is included in DDT's streaming service and I believe All Japan started their own but have no idea how active it is or even if it is still going.

Should be noted that classic content for both promotions isn't available on their platforms due to ownership rights I believe so it's only modern content that is available.

Thanks for that. Any idea if AJPW is worth catching at all these days? I heard from someone on here (I think JLM) that they'd actually gotten good again in the late noughties.