UKFF Questions Thread v3

Otto Dem Wanz

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Browser Brady said:

What potentially valuable video libraries are out there that WWE currently doesn’t own ?

World of Sport. ITV still own it, and used to license it out, but never sold it even when WWE came knocking. 

I don't know how much pre-World of Sport wrestling footage the BBC own from when they aired it, I imagine most of it was erased, lost or recorded over.

There's a bunch of old territories they don't own the libraries of, the question is just how much of a library is left. The ownership of old Memphis footage is all over the place, for one, while Billy Corgan owns some of the other libraries that are pretty complete, like Houston.

They own very little in the way of international libraries; nothing outside of North America that I know of, aside from the bits of Progress, ICW and WXW that were on the Network.

• 2 weeks later...

Back in 1993, possibly on wrestling challnege. I have always had this memory of Jim Ross interviewing horse racer Frankie dettori regarding trying to slam yokozuna during the yoko vs USA bodyslam challnege. I remember it taking place backstage with Frankie saying he was to small to do it and would pass on the challange. For the life of me I have never been able to forget this memory.  I have never been able to find this footage anywhere! Does anyone else ever remember seeing this or is it something g that I have imagined?! 

• Paid Members

There was a jockey among the "stars" from the wider sports world who tried to slam Yoko - guy called Julio Pezua. 

There's a bit of a resemblance to Dettori so could be where your memories have got confused! 

front.thumb.jpg.2f86e59d197850dc0f4330a5f9255b8b.jpg

58 minutes ago, Statto said:

There was a jockey among the "stars" from the wider sports world who tried to slam Yoko - guy called Julio Pezua. 

There's a bit of a resemblance to Dettori so could be where your memories have got confused! 

spacer.png

Amazing! For so many years I thought it was Detori. I suppose at least I got the horse riding bit right haha. I even came to close to asking him when he came in and rented E.T on dvd while i was working in a blockbuster video store once ? 

When breaking up a pin in a tag match is it that the act of hitting the wrestler doing the pin "stops" the pin or are they sposed to be physically breaking up the cover so there is no longer a cover?

It popped into my head recently because especially in fast paced trios or tag matches the breaker upper just sort of hits the pinner but the covers still there right?  Elbow dropping someone doing a pin does not cause their entire body to move to a place where they are not covering the wrestler. Now that itch just keeps getting itchier every time I notice it.

I realise the answer is "it's wrestling and it's nonsense" but even when these things are ignored there tends to be an actual rule that inspired the idea (like the fact that you're allowed 5 seconds with both team members in ring post tag even though most of the time it's however long it takes for them to do the planned spot)

• Paid Members

That used to be a massive pet peeve of mine that I've mellowed on lately.

But yeah, I think we now need to accept (based on the way we see it applied) that the rule is that the pinning situation is interrupted once someone else interferes with it in any way, even if shoulders stay down & what would normally be interpreted as a cover remains. Even if that interference is illogically leaping over the whole pile and lightly tapping the pinner on the back when it'd be easier to just drop an axehandle on them. 

It can't have always been the case though - there's a finish to an Andre tag match (think it might be the Colossal Connection taking the tag belts off Demolition but wouldn't swear to it) where throughout the 3 count the illegal man has hold of Andre's leg and is desperately trying to drag him off his partner, but just can't shift the big old giant so the ref counts 3.

I know there are some folks on here who do/have refereed, would be interesting to hear how they were taught to approach it. @BomberPatis the only one who springs to mind to politely summon. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, organizedkaos said:

When breaking up a pin in a tag match is it that the act of hitting the wrestler doing the pin "stops" the pin or are they sposed to be physically breaking up the cover so there is no longer a cover?

It popped into my head recently because especially in fast paced trios or tag matches the breaker upper just sort of hits the pinner but the covers still there right?  Elbow dropping someone doing a pin does not cause their entire body to move to a place where they are not covering the wrestler. Now that itch just keeps getting itchier every time I notice it.

I realise the answer is "it's wrestling and it's nonsense" but even when these things are ignored there tends to be an actual rule that inspired the idea (like the fact that you're allowed 5 seconds with both team members in ring post tag even though most of the time it's however long it takes for them to do the planned spot)

Someone may be able to answer more definitively, but I’d hazard a guess that it’s one of those things where wrestlers just do it because it’s what they’ve seen other wrestlers do and not thinking about the psychology behind why they’re doing what they’re doing.

My guess is, it used to be physically removing the opponent from your partner with a punt or whatever. Alternatively, it could be a distraction technique where, as the illegal man, you’re distracting the referee to turn their attention from counting the pin-fall attempt to removing you from the ring.

14 hours ago, Statto said:

That used to be a massive pet peeve of mine that I've mellowed on lately.

But yeah, I think we now need to accept (based on the way we see it applied) that the rule is that the pinning situation is interrupted once someone else interferes with it in any way, even if shoulders stay down & what would normally be interpreted as a cover remains. Even if that interference is illogically leaping over the whole pile and lightly tapping the pinner on the back when it'd be easier to just drop an axehandle on them. 

It can't have always been the case though - there's a finish to an Andre tag match (think it might be the Colossal Connection taking the tag belts off Demolition but wouldn't swear to it) where throughout the 3 count the illegal man has hold of Andre's leg and is desperately trying to drag him off his partner, but just can't shift the big old giant so the ref counts 3.

I know there are some folks on here who do/have refereed, would be interesting to hear how they were taught to approach it. @BomberPatis the only one who springs to mind to politely summon. 

I always saw it as the referee stops the count not because the shoulders are no longer being covered and not because the pinner was gently tapped on the back by the pinee's partner, but because the referee needs to stop counting to tell the pinnee's partner off for getting involved when he shouldn't be and to get the hell out of the ring.  But whether the ref continues counting (if the shoulders remain down) or stops counting is at his discretion.

Edited by The Dart

• Paid Members

A long, long time ago, in some territories, it used to be a rule in tag team matches that a pin wasn't legal if an illegal participant was also in the ring.

Like a lot of things in refereeing, that was phased out and replaced by something a little bit more dramatic and visually interesting, in that the partner would now physically break up the pin. Perhaps initially it probably was that the pin would have to be physically stopped, so contact between the wrestler pinning and the wrestler pinned had to be broken, but it has pretty much always been that simply getting physically involved in a pin at all is enough to break it. There's a few kayfabe-y ways to explain it, but generally it's just that a pin needs to be continuous and uninterrupted to be legal.

It's also worth adding that the WWE only allow one pin break per team in a tag match.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

He's a capable if unspectacular in-ring performer. He's a very talented amateur wrestler so can do some nice grappling/technical stuff making use of that, he has good underdog/babyface fire, draws sympathy well and is deceptively strong.  He can do Claudio Castagnoli-esque feats of strength on larger opponents than you'd think. He's good enough that his matches don't let the whole act down when everything else he does is working so well for him. 

This is one of his better recent matches: 

Edited by JLM