The Official UKFF RAW thread (part 2)...

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

One hour thirty six minutes when Torrented! I prayed for this and it happened.

Didn’t even mind the picture-in-picture stuff, either. Always a good laugh watching mad, dystopian, American adverts. Like something out of Robocop. “Feeling unwell?…EAT THIS FAST FOOD!” “Nothing quenches the thirst like VODKA.” “Mum’s birthday? Why not treat her to a VACCINE.”“Special offer! Discount prices! Delicious PRESCRIPTION DRUGS, available now!”

Good, tight, breezy show. Anyone who prefers three hours to two hours needs their hard drive checked.

No idea who Sexy Red is. Definitely wouldn’t suggest there was a cynical reason for her to feature. Anyway, look at this photograph for no particular reason.

IMG_9774.thumb.jpeg.cbb1afa5765099196b0cf09e5c5ab9e5.jpeg

Good promo from Punk. Hoping he finds his smile around about November 3rd.

Funny that in recapping the pay per view it was switched so that Punk and Drew was at the end. Like a subtle apology. “Fair enough lads, that was a fucking belter, you completely stole the show.”

A better promo than usual from Seth, and an understated outfit, but all the Sethisms were still bubbling under the surface. Catchphrases and cackles. That’s all he really has. He sucks. Hope Bronson Reed throws him to the moon.

I love the slimy, HR approach to the Kevin Owens/Cody angle. Like everyone’s been told they’re not allowed to talk about it. Really fresh, clever stuff.

Fun brawl with Sheamus and Dunne. When does the Def Rebel contract end? Can we go back to Pete Dunne’s old music already? It’s obviously not on the same level as Bayley, who genuinely has cause to file a class action lawsuit against them, but it still does my head in how he essentially just comes out to a shitter remix of what he used to have.

Who the fuck is this Ethan Page fella appearing on my screen out of nowhere? Where are the vignettes?! What’s the story?! 

Good main event. Sami’s one of the best babyfaces of all time. Popped big for the kick out at one. I wouldn’t be against Sami winning The Rumble, actually. Stack it with Punk, Roman, Drew, Cena, etc, but then let the REAL STAR win it. Enjoy this boom period, lads. It’s all thanks to El Generico.

Cody vs. Gunther at Crown Jewel should be good. Their chemistry in The Rumble that time was brilliant. I assume Cody wins, adds another belt, and then he and Rock can fight for all the marbles at Wrestlemania. WWE World Heavyweight Championship. WWE Blood Money Best of the Best Crown Jewel Championship. And then that random, toy belt Rock bought from the Car Boot Sale. Literally looks like one of those knock-off, non-branded bootleg toys your Nan would buy you from Poundland. “You like wrestling, have this!” Ridiculous belts for a two ridiculous men to fight over.

Sad that Sami didn’t win, but hopefully it frees him up for the greatest thing of all time. Just look at it. Beautiful. Hang it in the Louvre.

IMG_9767.thumb.jpeg.46ec4a42720cb6a58e9dd441a0fb47a4.jpeg

Edited by Supremo

I'm sure it's been done loads in the intervening years, but the (almost) floating heads vibe of that poster gives me a nice old school feeling...

spacer.png

On a similar note, it should be against the law to do a Royal Rumble poster in any style other than the big, cartoon lineup. 

Sami losing was shit and fairly underwhelming. Crowd were barely behind him anyway. Canada they were not.

Feel like it could've been done better, or at least with some shenanigans so that it (a) kept him as a question mark against Gunther in the future and (b) gave us a little something for Sami to do going forward, or at least a hint.

It all felt unnecessarily definitive, especially this early on in Gunther's reign. Not sure they needed to do our dawg that badly.

UNLESS it now means he has another confidence crisis where only Roman giving him a tshirt can fix things and we're all good.

Objectively the show wasn't shit but I was depressed by the end so nothing else mattered.

Posted (edited)

I really liked the way they handled the Cody/KO stuff with Tessitore interrupting Wade from talking about it and showing HHH's statement.

Would love it to be a swerve and it was actually Cody turning heel and that was just KO calling him out on his bullshit.

Cody as a heel opens up more avenues for me, Roman, Randy, KO. Punk, Seth & Sami from Raw. I know he has the match with The Rock happening but he will be boo'd out of the building in that match anyway I feel.

Edited by The King of Old School

Good show. 

Incredible that in 48 hours people online had worked themselves into believing Sami Zayn was going to win the title, and are now furious he didn't.

They've done nothing to suggest Gunther is a short term investment for them, and besides a non-physical wave and smile role for Goldberg, not one thing suggested they were going to chuck the title on Sami.

Get Sami and Jey over to Friday nights ASAP.

When CM Punk is good, hes really good. Another good promo, and I'm sort of sad he's going away for a bit even if it's clearly the right thing to do. Get some deep sleep, a massage, a haircut and be ready to go in 2025.

It's so annoying that Seth is his next feud. Mainly because Seth is shite, but also because the feud will be the same as the Drew feud ("no, I actually really hate you in real life!) only without Drew. So same.. but worst.

2 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Good show. 

Incredible that in 48 hours people online had worked themselves into believing Sami Zayn was going to win the title, and are now furious he didn't.

They've done nothing to suggest Gunther is a short term investment for them, and besides a non-physical wave and smile role for Goldberg, not one thing suggested they were going to chuck the title on Sami.

That would've been half the fun though! I love an unexpected title change. Not everything has to be built up and predictable.

Sami could've been Gunther's kryptonite. Or they could've used Sami's loss as fuel for something else. But it sort of just happened, he lost and then Gunther moved on to Cody and that was that.

It just felt like the pairing and the dynamic had a lot of potential avenues and they seemed to go for a really simple easy straight forward one. The question of whether Gunther could overcome Sami didn't need to be answered that quickly or simple or straight forward.

I just think it's a shame. It felt like a good potential bit of business shut off fairly quickly and unnecessarily.

3 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

It's so annoying that Seth is his next feud. Mainly because Seth is shite, but also because the feud will be the same as the Drew feud ("no, I actually really hate you in real life!) only without Drew. So same.. but worst.

I’m slightly concerned by this too, as I think there’s a real chance that they’ll do something prolonged and stretch the feud out until a blow-off match at ‘Mania, and I just don’t have faith they’ll have the material to justify doing that. 

Edited by RedTwoster

9 minutes ago, RedTwoster said:

I’m slightly concerned by this too, as I think there’s a real chance that they’ll do something prolonged and stretch the feud out until a blow-off match at ‘Mania, and I just don’t have faith they’ll have the material to justify doing that. 

I can't think of much worse than having to listen to pity party Seth promos for months on end until Mania. At least Drew made it interesting with his social media presence and his character is less whiny and annoying.

• Paid Members

McIntyre is more convincing acting he hates Punk than Rollins is really hating Punk.

I still think there's been good heat between them and Rollins has been notably better with the Punk stuff, but a retread wouldn't work at all. McIntyre has on-camera reasons to be bitter. Rollins doesn't, it's all off-camera stuff that nobody cares about. It would be the same with Owens. They'll have to find a different route with this but I'm confident they might be able to do it.

Watched the main event, first WWE singles match I’ve watched since Bryan vs The Fiend at whatever PPV that was about 4/5 years ago.

- Solid enough work, Sami is a great babyface and Gunther is excellent. Not a blow away match but fine for a TV main event. 
- New commentator guy was decent. He definitely “gets it”, let’s hope with no VKM/KD axis of evil overproducing him and force feeding him WWE speak, he’ll continue to find his voice. Him and Barrett are a bit cartoony in the delivery for my liking but it’s fine. 
- I’m sure there were way fewer camera cuts than before. I didn’t feel motion sickness or disorientation. Much improved. 
- How much of the crowd noise is sweetened? I know they’ve got a lot better at sewing it in, and there’s something about it that feels a bit artificial to me.
- Samantha Irvin is not for me. The job of a top class ring announcer is to elicit the correct emotion in the crowd and viewers. They are the conduit, not the end point. If I’m watching someone getting heavily into the emotion of announcing the names of the participants, it doesn’t leave anything for me to interpret or experience. The emotion of the announcer should be a direction for your emotions, not a living embodiment of “this is SO important and the stakes are SO high.” That should be between the lines, not smashing you over the head with it. 

Edited by hallicks
G before N except after I