The Official UKFF RAW thread (part 2)...

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

I just can’t get over it.

Imagine how differently the Punk vs. MJF feud would be remembered.

IMG_9251.webp.173edd7af53e002da4d8ac64fdd96406.webp

”You stupid old man. I’m a snake. The greatest trick The Devil ever pulled was sneaking behind his opponent, touching the same three turnbuckles straight after them, then suddenly attacking and winning by touching the fourth one first!”

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, Weezenal said:

I think the kids call it Raw Dogging if you can watch a full episode of Raw without skipping it.

That gives me PTSD to when I used to watch it in its entirety live as an unemployed wretch. Still can’t hear the “Tonight Is The Night” music without staring in my minds eye at a never ending logo while Sky twiddle their thumbs waiting for the ads to stop the other side.

• Paid Members
On 8/20/2024 at 4:48 PM, Hannibal Scorch said:

What else are you supposed to call multiple multiversal Taylor Swifts all in a group together? 

Taylors Swift. Like Surgeons General.

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, air_raid said:

That gives me PTSD to when I used to watch it in its entirety live as an unemployed wretch. Still can’t hear the “Tonight Is The Night” music without staring in my minds eye at a never ending logo while Sky twiddle their thumbs waiting for the ads to stop the other side.

When I was on the dole and crammed back into my parents box room I used to watch Raw live too, as I'd nothing at all to get up for in the morning other than collect my hundred quid down the post office. This was around the time of Bret's match with Vince at Mania, when WWE was completely in the shitter too. Dark auld days!

• 2 weeks later...

Sooo…what did everyone think of Uncle Howdy? 

Before I continue - it’s worth mentioning that it’s a credit to all involved that they're now able to main event Raw with Bo Dallas vs Chad Cable without it feeling remotely out of place. Imagine pitching that as an idea, let alone a reason to watch the show, two years ago. 

As far as the match quality goes, Dallas was great, as was Gable. I continue to see Dallas as someone who could quite credibly be built up as an opponent for Gunther - Gable too, for that matter. 

But I’m amazed the character made its way onto TV looking like that. Howdy looked fittingly shit, considering how weak the ’Uncle Howdy’ name is. He looked like an own brand version of Undertaker during his brief spell of wearing that Phantom-style mask. And that wig just looks hazardous, the kind of thing that could block your vision just enough to accidentally cause you to hurt yourself or an opponent. 

So…I continue to like what they’re doing with the Wyatt Sicks, but change the look up maybe. 

• Paid Members

“As God is my witness, the bracelet is broken in half!”

IMG_9427.jpeg.f64e9ed095010d56ba07fd74ec3fdbe2.jpeg

I was reminded of this sign. The 2024 version would be, “More bracelet lore, Punk?” I thought I wasn’t particularly fussed about a CM Punk vs. Gunther feud, but then they revealed they’re going to continue to drag this feud with Drew out, and suddenly I realised I’d give anything for Gunther vs. Punk!

Cannot believe this is still going on. Remember when it was hot? Ice cold, now. Genuinely expecting them to hang a fucking bracelet above the Hell in a Cell.

Everything involving the Judgment Day continues to carry this brand. Ridiculous how hot the crowd are for everything Rhea and Damien do. It’s a shame Jey Uso is definitely reuniting The Bloodline this Autumn because I want to see him and Rhea eventually fall in love and get married.

I expected another Mike Adamle with the new announcer, but he was surprisingly impressive. A real pro, you could tell he’s either done shit loads of homework, or is just a big fan. He didn’t feel out of place at all and had a great voice. I had to double check he wasn’t the fella who did the commentary on the SNES classic NBA Jam, because he sound exactly how I remember it. That classic American voice with loads of bass in it. Turns out it’s not him, but he should still start shouting, “Boomshakalaka!” during Raw.

Edited by Supremo

Joe Tessitore brings to mind a classic wrestling voice, with the cheesy personality of a prime Mean Gene. Big fan. This could be good.

My favourite thing about the Tessitore segment with Barrett is how they've moved on from gently trying to encourage American fans to mimic European crowds, they're now basically scripting talent to say 'come the fuck on guys, this isn't good enough... just be more European.'

• Paid Members

From what I heard of Joe Tessitore (I had it on as background noise) it sounded like someone doing a Michael Cole impression during a Saturday Night Live sketch. Thought he sounded similar way more to Cole than I expected. But when I actually saw him, I thought bloody hell he’s old. And he’s a mere 5 years younger than Cole! Now I know AEW have their old guards on comms but I guess I thought they may have gone for someone younger. That said, thought he did a really good job for his first night.

That said, I can’t believe the bracelet feud nonsense (which Punk said definitely wasn’t about the bracelet, and I had been exclusively about a bracelet) continues on. Getting kicked out of your shoe is pretty hilarious though!