The Official UKFF RAW thread (part 2)...

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Another great bit of the McIntyre segment was after he escaped Zayn's attack and knelt at ringside grinning at Punk. Terrific work, what a bastard.

I agree, even if it did remind me a bit of this

image.gif.71bc656298b468402c7968691e631c38.gif

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, RedRooster said:

I’m still pretty certain that they’re doing Reigns/Rhodes at Wrestlemania, but that segment has me feeling a bit nervous that this was all done to free Reigns up for The Rock. Make your decision quickly Cody, and make the right one!!

1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I only watched the first hour and a bit. But that was probably the best promo Seth Rollins has ever cut. He even convinced me Cody might be making the wrong decision!

1 hour ago, Duke said:

Seth's going to look even more like a loser participation champion when Cody picks Roman after that.

1 hour ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Honest to goodness, if they fuck about with Cody/Roman I'm going to say I'm done with this company...  before changing my mind within 24 hours.

46 minutes ago, The King of Old School said:

Cody/Seth is perfect, god bless CM Punk for opening the door for Roman/Rock again.

I listened to every word that Cody said in the press conference. I've never been more convinced that he's the right choice for company figurehead. That Roman didn't lose his belt at the Rumble and will take it into Mania, plus that Cody essentially answered the "you'll be choosing Reigns, yeah" question with "I think everyone already knew that" before realizing what he'd said and bluffing around "I don't care it its Monday Night Raw or SummerSlam or Elimination Chamber" or words to that effect... I'm getting close to "risking my avatar again" levels of certainty that it's the direction they'll go in, and it's for the best.

Punk came back at Survivor Series. Cody won the Rumble. Now hear this - Reigns vs Cody at Mania, and Cody wins. I'll stake my reputation on it.

"raid, you haven't got a reputation."

"No, but I'm hoping to acquire one in this escapade."

• Paid Members

Weren’t there reports that Drew’s contract was coming due and he hadn’t signed another one yet? Can probably add another half a million to whatever his asking price is after last night. Imagine he cuts that promo and then fucks off to AEW to headline Wembley?

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Weren’t there reports that Drew’s contracts was coming due and he hadn’t signed another one yet? Can probably add another half a million to whatever his asking price is after last night. Imagine he cuts that promo and then fucks off to AEW to headline Wembley?

Correct as yet he apparently hasn’t. And if he did indeed go to AEW he already has the I killed your locker room cancer promo ready to go at Wembley 

• Paid Members

How long does McIntyre have left on his contract? Because he only just turned heel and they're actually using him in a way he seems comfortable with now. 6 to 12 months ago I could see him leaving, but not now.

• Paid Members

I'm guessing the Cody/Rollins stuff was just to buy time and create some intrigue between now and Wrestlemania, particularly as Reigns isn't going to be wrestling or appearing on TV much between now and then, but maybe don't have Michael Cole shout about how Cody's definitely going after Reigns if that's what you're doing?

I saw someone on Twitter bring up as well that it's the worst kind of worked shoot WWE shit - not just because it's belittling Reigns and his belt by drawing attention to the fact that he never shows up, but because saying guys like Hogan only had the belt because they "politicked" suggests that none of their clean babyface title defences count, and unless it's supposed to be painting Seth Rollins as a hypocrite (in which case, somebody should be pointing it out), it's a bit rich having him criticise wrestling politicians considering that within kayfabe he's been one of the most successful politicians since back in the Authority days. And if they're going "shoot" about it, pointing to Dusty Rhodes as a guy who won titles through hard work rather than politics is a stretch!

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I'm guessing the Cody/Rollins stuff was just to buy time and create some intrigue between now and Wrestlemania, particularly as Reigns isn't going to be wrestling or appearing on TV much between now and then, but maybe don't have Michael Cole shout about how Cody's definitely going after Reigns if that's what you're doing?

I saw someone on Twitter bring up as well that it's the worst kind of worked shoot WWE shit - not just because it's belittling Reigns and his belt by drawing attention to the fact that he never shows up, but because saying guys like Hogan only had the belt because they "politicked" suggests that none of their clean babyface title defences count, and unless it's supposed to be painting Seth Rollins as a hypocrite (in which case, somebody should be pointing it out), it's a bit rich having him criticise wrestling politicians considering that within kayfabe he's been one of the most successful politicians since back in the Authority days. And if they're going "shoot" about it, pointing to Dusty Rhodes as a guy who won titles through hard work rather than politics is a stretch!

I think these are all salient points but I also think it's kind of a joyless and over-analytical way of looking at a wrestling promo. We could sit here and pick apart every promo done on wrestling TV these days, particularly at the top of cards, along similar lines. But I don't think referencing people from the past and making what was not really a particularly violent point about politics necessarily puts it into the worked shoot shit category. It was done for a reason and with people now questioning what might happen at Wrestlemania, it served its purpose and that's really all that matters.

Plus Rollins got through it without cackling* once so we should all be super grateful.

(*I initially wrote "cacking" here and well done to Rollins on not doing that either.)

Edited by Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

in fairness, haven't seen it, and just going on the Observer write-up and stuff I saw on Twitter. 

I will take that it's over-analytical, and that most of the criticisms don't really matter, but I do think that having Seth Rollins talk about people politicking their way to big matches and title shots without anyone calling him out on it is a misstep, and indicative of something WWE have done forever now, of just forgetting (or expecting you to forget) about a wrestler's kayfabe history the moment it becomes convenient to. They're all arguably valid points (though I always find it odd for WWE to draw attention to the flaws in their own booking and the things their audience are tired of, as if they're powerless to do anything about it), just maybe shouldn't have come from the mouth of Seth Rollins; if you had somebody like Sami Zayn or Jey Uso firing up Cody by making some of the same points to suggest why he should be going after the "workhorse" title, it would have had a bit more weight behind it, perhaps.

36 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

How long does McIntyre have left on his contract? Because he only just turned heel and they're actually using him in a way he seems comfortable with now. 6 to 12 months ago I could see him leaving, but not now.

The cynic in me suggests that's exactly why he's being used right now. Ever since the AEW stuff reared its head they've done really well with him. Obviously a big benefit of having another company around that can offer guys like Drew another option. Can't see him leaving now, especially with the Punk stuff obviously leading to something if and when Punk gets fit.

That's the best Drew has been in a LONG time. And while I don't think he's getting a title, they're definitely giving him something far more significant to sink his teeth into lately, and hopefully that's enough to keep him around. I wasn't bothered at all but it feels like he's heading in the right direction now and I'm definitely interested in seeing more.

1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

in fairness, haven't seen it,

I think you're a great poster Pat, but this isn't Reddit!  Seeing as we can all Watch Wrestling, I reckon actually watching an angle before criticising it should be a minimum.  Fucking Observer write-up.  Reminds me of reading WCW writeups for years and being convinced it was the worst thing ever, and then finally getting to watch some and it being great.  Fuck the Scotsman and all those smart marks. 😂

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Factotum said:

The cynic in me suggests that's exactly why he's being used right now. Ever since the AEW stuff reared its head they've done really well with him. 

I'm not sure. I don't think WWE would see their nose as being bloodied if they lost McIntyre, even in the form he's in now. I just think they've realised his babyface journey had run its course and it was time to do more with it. But at the same time, it's highly possible. Either way, it's just good to see him getting an engaging character because I've liked his matches for years now.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

in fairness, haven't seen it, and just going on the Observer write-up and stuff I saw on Twitter. 

I will take that it's over-analytical, and that most of the criticisms don't really matter, but I do think that having Seth Rollins talk about people politicking their way to big matches and title shots without anyone calling him out on it is a misstep, and indicative of something WWE have done forever now, of just forgetting (or expecting you to forget) about a wrestler's kayfabe history the moment it becomes convenient to. They're all arguably valid points (though I always find it odd for WWE to draw attention to the flaws in their own booking and the things their audience are tired of, as if they're powerless to do anything about it), just maybe shouldn't have come from the mouth of Seth Rollins; if you had somebody like Sami Zayn or Jey Uso firing up Cody by making some of the same points to suggest why he should be going after the "workhorse" title, it would have had a bit more weight behind it, perhaps.

Just to get you up to speed

I remember Drew saying something about not wanting to turn heel just for the sake of it, especially when he valued his position in the community etc. So it's nice that they've taken this route which feels completely natural. It hasn't just been out of nowhere. It's all very grounded in reality and frustration and just seems like a natural progression based on what he has been through personally.