The Official UKFF RAW thread (part 2)...

19 minutes ago, The King of Old School said:

Guaranteed to be Randy Orton, what a swerve.

That'd be good.

It's quite an interesting/weird thing, these supposed 'CM PUNK REFERENCES'. So many of them are a reach, that it's easy to dismiss the whole thing, but if you boil it down to just Nakamura, there does seem to be *something* there. 

In normal times, you'd think Nakamura hitting someones finisher a few times and then offering an open challenge to an opponent with a nod to their entrance theme would mean something.

As it is, it would be very funny if they were just trolling. Randy Orton swaggering out to an arena full of 37 year olds chanting for CM Punk would be a nice throwback to a simpler time when the audience hated the product and the product hated the audience.

Equally funny though, would be if they got to Chicago and the audience was broadly ambivalent to all this.

• Paid Members

I’m convinced Orton’s return is being saved for John Cena. It’s the most perfect conclusion to their never-ending, always-a-bit-shit feud. The hottest the company has been in decades, the most goodwill either man has ever had, so they do the Stone Cold-Rock stare down one final time and it still gets no reaction. This is the way.

On the subject of Punk, this clip popped up on my feed the other day and it’s fascinating to watch with modern eyes.

Brilliant. Not only does it feature Punk doing the exact type of unscripted, lame, shitty dunks he would eventually lose his mind over in AEW, but it’s hilarious to watch Miz effortlessly banter him off. And The Miz main evented Wrestlemania. Two nil, Punky.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
On 10/25/2023 at 8:34 AM, d-d-d-dAz said:

As it is, it would be very funny if they were just trolling. Randy Orton swaggering out to an arena full of 37 year olds chanting for CM Punk would be a nice throwback to a simpler time when the audience hated the product and the product hated the audience.

I'm not entirely sure that Hunter isn't wise enough to the audience to actually send Orton out as a swerve, then fulfil Chicago's collective wet dream by sending Phil out.

The Nakamura thing is the most interesting thing in wrestling currently.

They've either gone and got ol' Punky, which will be excellent as despite him being an absolute lunatic I'm starting to miss the grumpy old goat.

Or, they haven't and they're so confident that their audience don't really give a shit so they can run a 'mystery opponent' angle heading into Chicago and not get any backlash. And if that's their flex, and Chicago doesn't come apart at Punk not being there, they'll have delivered one of the biggest fuck you's in the history of wrestling to One Bil.

I genuinely can't wait to find out which it is.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

47 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

The Nakamura thing is the most interesting thing in wrestling currently.

They've either gone and got ol' Punky, which will be excellent as despite him being an absolute lunatic I'm starting to miss the grumpy old goat.

Or, they haven't and they're so confident that their audience don't really give a shit that they can run a 'mystery opponent' angle heading into Chicago and not got any backlash. And if that's their flex, and Chicago doesn't come apart at Punk not being there, they'll have delivered one of the biggest fuck you's in the history of wrestling to One Bil.

I genuinely can't wait to find out which it is.

Are they running the Seth/Cody Mania 38 thing with Naka?

If you're not a regular Raw watcher (and who can blame you), it's worth checking out the Creed Brothers debut.  These guys are "generational talent" to steal a phrase.  Clearly the potential to be a classic tag team but Julius may be a breakout singles star in a few years, he has that freakish strength and technique that Brock Lesnar had.

At the risk of being super obvious, I'd drop the Diamond Mine stuff, and get Kurt Angle in to manage them.  Keep Ivy Nile as she's rather great too.

One of my biggest complaints about RAW is I feel the entire look of it is outdated. The slightest of change to the graphics and colour scheme last night for Halloween really helped the show feel a little fresher for me.

Without going too deep and saying too much as not to open up a can of worms on this forum as I don’t know the general thoughts about it all on here, it was very obvious Sami Zayn was not talking about Judgment Day. Can’t fault the man for continually standing by his beliefs that’s for sure.

I feel like people are absolutely reaching that Nakamura promos are in any way hinting at Punk other than one line the other week that coincided. I’m fully expecting the return of Randy Orton.

A lot of women featured on this show. That division isn’t really my bag but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t enjoy most of it. Even the ridiculous Trick or Street Fight. Chelsea Green is brilliant in this sort of part.

Alpha Academy v Creed Brothers was excellent while a little short that it’s left me wanting more. Exactly what you want to do with that sort of thing.

11 minutes ago, FUM said:

I feel like people are absolutely reaching that Nakamura promos are in any way hinting at Punk other than one line the other week that coincided. I’m fully expecting the return of Randy Orton.

There definitely wasn't a reference, but heading into a Chicago PPV with Punk hanging about like a spare prick at an orgy it's amazing that they'd run a mystery opponent angle if the endpoint isn't One Bil Phil. If it's not him - and it could well not be (could even say it's likely not) - it's such an enormous flex for them to do it this way, at a time when the internet is all Punk horny, and test whether their in-arena audiences really give a shit.

I'm not sure he'd have a shred of leverage left if they do a mystery opponent gimmick at Survivor Series, and the Chicago crowd is just... fine with it being someone else. 

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, FUM said:

I feel like people are absolutely reaching that Nakamura promos are in any way hinting at Punk other than one line the other week that coincided.

If the line about "setting free" was all there was, it's a reach. As it's at the same time Nakamura's done the G2S, nobody's having to reach too far. On the eve of the PPV in Chicago. They're either setting the table for Punk to return or trolling, there's no middle ground, there's no coincidences here.