The Official UKFF RAW thread (part 2)...

1 minute ago, air_raid said:

As a kid I wanted Crush to be WWF Champion. I was wrong.

I think having the big bad knocked off at Mania was, and always is, the right call, as opposed to splitting an audience. They gauged fan reactions to Lex or Bret as the next hero at the Rumble, you just didn't promote babyface vs babyface in singles on PPV in 1994.

Really. I hated Crush. Even as a babyface. You are right yes. Over coming Yoko was Brets mountain to climb and feel good story. The same should be said of Cody. Roman is his mountain to conquer and hopefully this is the eventual route they go down. Not everything major has to happen at Mania but I feel it just makes more sense. 

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Daaaaaad! said:

guessing TNT Sports didn’t take the Netflix news well judging by that video title…

Excellent use of a still, too. TNT's YouTube lad has a 'Die Rocky Die' sign as their Twitter avatar, guaranteed.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Dr. Alan Grant said:

Is there any chance that The Rock, or more accurately Dwayne Johnson, sees all the negative reaction he’s getting and drops out? He can have his match with Reigns down the line. Does he really want his big comeback to be potentially drowned out in a sea of boos? 

He didn’t look at all happy when Reigns won the Rumble years ago and the crowd shat all over it, and he didn’t want to work in the Thunderdome, so he clearly cares about crowd reactions. 

The Reigns Rumble was especially funny because Rock was completely surprised by it, showing how he clearly didnt keep up with the show and he paid for his ignorance. Looks like he's paying for it again on a much bigger scale.

A normal person would sort this out sharpish, but who knows where Rock's head is at. He's been the meaningless positive slogan instagram guy for years and years. His brain may be mush.

He wont drop out but he'll certainly be gutted about getting booed. Him being thin-skinned about Black Adam bombing last year was the first time Ive seen him drop the Mr Positive act of his. I'd love to see heel Hollywood Rock again but I dont think he has it in him.

Edited by Rob Lowe

The Rock's daughter has had to delete her Twitter account because she's been receiving hate and death threats.

6j1x2bgpmzgc1.jpeg

Wrestling fans are utter scum, aren't they?  What is wrong with people.

Edited by Loki

I assume they're trying to court this intangible "mainstream audience" (although these days the internet and social media are where the mainstream hang out). The thought being that Rock/Reigns gets more eyes on the product and that builds into the Netflix deal etc? I assume part of the WWE purchase was to maybe try and grow beyond it's dedicated fanbase?

As pointed out, hardcore wrestling fans are... not always the most fun. I could see a situation where TKO don't really much care if they push away those sort of types (especially when you've got another promotion that might cater to them). UFC seems gain attention from the buzz around the match as much as the build? (I don't follow it so apologies if i'm talking complete nonsense but I remember how Mayweather/McGregor seemed to permeate everything that weekend it was on, I only know a handful of people who watch UFC and it seemed like that weekend everyone was chatting about it)

I'm not saying they're deliberately doing this to push away the usual fanbase. However I don't think it's too pie in the sky to imagine they want more mainstream eyes and to grow the brand into something bigger.  In which case, why cater to the existing audience? They tune in anyway, moan in their own corners of the internet and the more you're associated with them the more your brand seems like it's for nerds and children.

Wrestling fans complaining that Rock/Reigns is just a big flashy spectacle, won't necessarily be a good match and throws out other long term storytelling seems it might be like art house cinema fans complaining that Marvel films don't use a lot of visual metaphor or subtle character development.

What's interesting to me, and this is just my bollocks speculation and I'm sure there's a hundred news reports that argue otherwise, is I think the "fuck up" happened about a year ago. 

I don't think they ever really intended Cody to be the one to defeat Roman. Whatever the reason, a far too generous part of me thinks it might be them actually thinking long term about the milage of giving that nod to Cody, I'm not convinced that was ever really the plan. I don't think it was for 39. I don't think it was for 40. And, looking at how they booked the Rumble (with Cody winning, pointing at Roman, Cole's commentary) when they must have already known they were doing Rocl/Roman, I don't think it's logical to assume they would have booked any of the past year differently if they knew they weren't heading to Reigns/Cody 2. 

Whether that would be the right or wrong decision on their part is a bit more up in the air to me. There's a myriad of potential reasons why they might not want to go that way, and as a fan we're never going to know most of them anyway (who knows how long Cody thinks he has left, who knows how long the office thinks he has left, who knows if Cody wants it, etc) but I think their fuck up might have been ever suggesting that was a "story" they were telling. 

Which I think is why its not really comparable to Daniel Bryan. Bryan's momentum was fairly organic. This time I think they've actually sold people on a story they weren't actually telling. 

That's why the mooted triple threat sounds shite. It's not just people desperately wanting Cody in the main event winning the title. It's people being sold on Cody beating Roman 1 on 1 for the title. 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

That’s not completely true. There were absolutely fan made ones. There were also a lot of rectangular ones with #wewantcody in red that were scattered around the crowd, also seen at the NXT PLE on Sunday.

Such things can be the result of coordinated fan efforts, though. 

I attended two tapings in different cities in the States in 2015 and at both there were fans going up and down the queues to get in handing out loads of "Cesaro Section" signs. 

It sticks in my mind because of the older lady behind me in the queue in Memphis who asked them "What the hell is a sezzerow?" 

Lads. Lads. LADS.

Hear me out.

Think About It GIF by Big Potato Games

We've been thinking about this all wrong.

How about... Night 1 is Seth v Roman for all the marbles and Cody v Rock. 

Seth and Roman have been ripping strips off each other for weeks. Cody and Rock have this newfound beef.

Roman wins (obviously, Seth is shit) and Cody wins - at some point during Cody/Rock the Bloodline try and fuck about and the show ends with Cody/Rock fighting off Roman/Jimmy/Solo together (also planting the seeds for Rock/Roman down the line).

Night 2, Cody vs Roman. Everyone's happy. 

No, I don't really know why Cody's Night 1 isn't for a title when he won the Rumble. Shut up.

Honestly though, I'm genuinely fascinated how they unpick the pickle they've got themselves into. I watched Raw in full just now and I have zero idea what their direction is.

What a strange Mania.

3 hours ago, Loki said:

The Rock's daughter has had to delete her Twitter account because she's been receiving hate and death threats.

6j1x2bgpmzgc1.jpeg

Wrestling fans are utter scum, aren't they?  What is wrong with people.

Lets be honest that kind of shit has infested most fandoms online, these days.

Just look at the abuse pretty much anyone (especially women) in the video game industry, receive. 

Absolutely rotten. 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C3A88idJOGt/?igsh=MWc1YjVnZDluMGRtdw==

Just out walking the horse and doing a spot of fishing.

If the US did a remake of Partridge, only he was a podcast bro rather than a host on Radio Norfolk, that would be the opening credits.

Baffling how this man is so out of touch with the modern wrestling fan. It really is.

2 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

FYI, the above is a link to a reel posted by The Rock. 

I'd wager there's very few people my description could realistically have been about.

And, no, zero idea how to embed a reel.