VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Merzbow said:

I'd say you should probably expect most people to have read the book because Dune was massive around then wasn't it? But then David didn't even read them himself.

I saw the film way before I ever read the books, so at the time it was welcome extra info, but even then it still felt like a clunky tack-on.

• Paid Members

Caught a double-bill at HOME yesterday - a Chinese crime mystery called Only the River Flows and a Saudi thriller called Mandoob. The latter had the potential to be excellent but is let down by some weird tonal shifts and unnecessary subplots. Still pretty good though with a great ending. Only the River Flows starts really well but flounders near the end when it tries to be Memories of Murder but still worth seeing.

Also caught Trigger Warning on Netflix, which wasn't quite as pathetic as its title suggested it was going to be but was still not very good at all. The action's alright but there's so little of it. Jessica Alba could make a decent action star though, she was pretty good during the fight scenes here.

Ladyhawke was long and boring and Matthew Broderick is really irritating. Michelle Pfeiffer isn't it enough. As I mentioned a couple of days ago, Argylle is an absolute piece of shit and the only funny thing about it is that they thought they were going to get a sequel to it. Yeah best of luck with that. Did I ever mention I hate Sam Rockwell?

Sunday in the Country was a superb sort of home invasion thriller which takes a great turn in its middle. Ernest Borgnine's superb in it and the ending is excellent. Well worth tracking down, it's on YouTube.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

5 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Also caught Trigger Warning on Netflix, which wasn't quite as pathetic as its title suggested it was going to be but was still not very good at all. The action's alright but there's so little of it. Jessica Alba could make a decent action star though, she was pretty good during the fight scenes here.

I always thought her career would be bigger than what it has been. She's been fairly steady but the earlier years suggested she'd do something far more significant. Not sure if it was her personal life or bad movie choices or just Hollywood being Hollywood.

• Paid Members

Rambo (4)

The first one after a long gap where Rambo is old, only first or second time I've seen it since it was at the cinema. I remembered it being good but last night I absolutely loved it.

While watching it i kept thinking I really wish Stallone had directed more action films, I loved the simplicity of the story, the dangerous looking locations and the nasty extreme violence, it was almost reminiscent of a grindhouse film or cheap 80s violent b movie. Apparently it was an extremely tough shoot and that comes across on screen.

Easily one of the most violent films I've ever seen, the bit where Rambo commandeers the big gun is just something else. Rambo himself is presented perfectly in his character as a haunted gruff vet with almost superhuman military abilities. Shame the one after was so dreadful from what I remember but Rambo 4 is uniquely enjoyable.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

Rambo (4)

The first one after a long gap where Rambo is old, only first or second time I've seen it since it was at the cinema. I remembered it being good but last night I absolutely loved it.

While watching it i kept thinking I really wish Stallone had directed more action films, I loved the simplicity of the story, the dangerous looking locations and the nasty extreme violence, it was almost reminiscent of a grindhouse film or cheap 80s violent b movie. Apparently it was an extremely tough shoot and that comes across on screen.

Easily one of the most violent films I've ever seen, the bit where Rambo commandeers the big gun is just something else. Rambo himself is presented perfectly in his character as a haunted gruff vet with almost superhuman military abilities. Shame the one after was so dreadful from what I remember but Rambo 4 is uniquely enjoyable.

I didn't enjoy this one at all (although as you rightly point out, the most recent one was the drizzlings) but I'm not sure I've ever seen a more violent film. Definitely the most detached limbs I've ever seen in one.

In other news I went to see a 75th anniversary restoration screening of The Third Man. I've always loved it but I may even have been underrating it, it's one of the greatest British films of all time.

5 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

In other news I went to see a 75th anniversary restoration screening of The Third Man. I've always loved it but I may even have been underrating it, it's one of the greatest British films of all time.

Definitely one of those films I've appreciated more as I've gotten older, as with many from that era. Really special.

• Awards Moderator

Mean Creek (2004)

Fuck. Me.

I think/assume it was @Devon Malcolm who put me on to this as it’s been on my Letterboxd watchlist for donkeys. Watched it only knowing the vague concept and was expecting a slightly darker Stand By Me.

Nope. This hit every single nerve and emotion I have. The character work in this is second-to-none as I honestly kept changing opinions on each of the cast each time a few lines and scenes were delivered.

I can’t be arsed with spoiler tags to go into more detail, but this is one of the most well put together, gripping and emotional films I’ve seen for a long time. Bloody hell.

Edited by Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, Frankie Crisp said:

Mean Creek (2004)

Fuck. Me.

I think/assume it was @Devon Malcolm who put me on to this as it’s been on my Letterboxd watchlist for donkeys. Watched it only knowing the vague concept and was expecting a slightly darker Stand By Me.

Nope. This hit every single nerve and emotion I have. The character work in this is second-to-none as I honestly kept changing opinions on each of the cast each time a few lines and scenes were delivered.

I can’t be arsed with spoiler tags to go into more detail, but this is one of the most well put together, gripping and emotional films I’ve seen for a long time. Bloody hell.

Yeah, it was probably me, I remember posting about it heavily about 10 years ago when I saw it. Brilliant film, I really need to give it another whirl.

• Paid Members

Double post wanker alert to point out that Netflix released Rebel Ridge today, from the same guy who made Green Room and others. It's excellent, too, a real improvement on Jeremy Saulnier's Hold the Dark. It's lengthy but fills its running time well. Excellent.

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

Rambo (4)

I remember going to see this in the cinema and that big machine gun bit has stuck with me ever since, but in a good "wow that was cool" way and not like trauma or anything. I also remember a brick for some reason but can't remember why.

• Paid Members

While I wait for @Bellenda Carlisle’s thoughts on Beetlejuice x2, I saw Batman Forever on the big screen for the first time in 29 years, and the first time I’ve seen it in probably 20 years. It’s a great bad movie. Though the didn’t get on at all, Jim and Tommy don’t show that on the screen (Punk and Hangman should have taken tips). Val Kilmer is still a touch better then Clooney for me, but still low or the list of Batmen we’ve seen. It’s camper then I remember but I had a blast seeing it again, and now reading about the Schumacher cut, I’m hoping we get the 170 minute cut released for the 30th anniversary!