VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
53 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

His ranking of the Alien franchise is even worse than whoever suggested people should watch Argyle…. Right?

At least he got 1 in the right place! There's nothing right about Argylle.

To be fair 2 has the best video game adaptation, a killer little arcade from Konami.

And all four are far, far better than Prometheus and Covenant if that helps.. I really enjoyed them on their own merits and every part of the Alien quadrilogy are worth watching. Resurrection is arguably a bad Alien but I fucking love how weird it is and the aesthetic is perfect, shame we never got another film with the two living leads on Earth.

• Awards Moderator
2 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Been on an Alien binge and my new and correct rankings are:

3 > 1 > 4 > 2

THREE the best? THREE?! This is pure madness. 

As it happens I watched The Assembly Cut for the first time at the weekend and enjoyed it a lot more than expected. Much more interesting threads to pick at, and if only Fincher could've completed it along these lines eh? 

2 hours ago, Carbomb said:

National Cinema Day 

Why don't they EVER fucking promote this? I found out about last year's on the day, this year 3 days late. 

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

Why don't they EVER fucking promote this? I found out about last year's on the day, this year 3 days late. 

There's never any seats left anyway, for anything decent. You might have got a front row seat for The Crow this time round and that's it.

2134  But there’s not much in the first three tbh. 2 and 1 are outright masterpieces and whilst 3 is flawed it’s got a really distinctive look and feel and a great collection of random British actors. It might be the one I’m most likely to sit through again if I notice it’s on.

• Paid Members

1234, the rest. That's the correct Alien order. I can stomach swapping 1 and 2 depending on personal tastes.

I have a massive soft spot for 3 because my entry-point to Alien(s) media was computer games; the weird top-down RPG-ish Game Boy Alien 3 game, and then I had a Gamesmaster VHS that had hints for Alien 3 on the Mega Drive, and it's ridiculous how often I watched a video giving hints for games I didn't own, but I guess it was a kind of analogue precursor to watching Twitch streams. I eventually got the game and played it to death too.

I think part of what appeals to me in 3 is that you can see the remnants of ideas from previous scripts; one earlier idea was that the setting would be a "wooden planet", populated by monks who shunned technology, and there's still little moments that make more sense in that setting than the prison planet, and I think some of the characters would have been a better fit for that version of the story.

Also the fun fact that Charles Dance's role was originally offered to Richard E. Grant, because David Fincher was a massive Withnail & I fan and wanted to find parts for the entire principle cast, hence Paul McGann and Ralph Brown both being in it. Ralph Brown said Fincher just couldn't find a part for Richard Griffiths.

2143 for me. Aliens is just a fantastic actioner. I love the directors cut with those extra scenes showing the settlers and Newt's family, it really adds to the film without making it feel bloated like some extended cuts.

I have such a soft spot for both Alien 3 and Resurrection so they swap positions frequently. The former because I was seven when it came out, had already seen Aliens and seeing the poster at the cinema with that THE BITCH IS BACK strapline was the coolest thing to me at the time (even though I had to wait for a VHS rental to see it), the latter because I was 12 and Winona Ryder.

Edited by cobra_gordo
Spelling

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Fincher just couldn't find a part for Richard Griffiths.

It's a shame they really had to recast Michael Biehn as Cpl Dwayne Hicks, as I heard Griffiths was eyeing that part up at one point. But I guess it's a devastating moment in an actor's life when they have to quite reasonably say to themselves 'I shall never play Cpl Dwayne'.