VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

I can concur Beverly Hills Cop: Axel F is really decent. Like Devon said, not as good as 1 but I’d say it’s on par with the other two.

Good action, jokes got a few laughs and it’s got plenty of callbacks and cameos. Good stuff.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Cineworld had a "Secret Screaming" surprise horror film on tonight.  Mrs Boy loves a horror so I thought what a lovely date night idea...

In a Violent Nature

By some distance the worst film I've ever seen in a cinema.  Imagine a dogshit slasher homage that's "artistically" shot in 4:3.  A zombie steampunk minion slowly walks after, and murders, the teens in the woods.  People that thought this was good should be put on a register as this is an actual crime against humanity.

Unintentional hilarity:

Spoiler

The sole survivor is picked up by someone who waffles unendingly to the point that you think the survivor has lapsed into a coma to escape the story.

Edited by johnnyboy

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

Cineworld had a "Secret Screaming" surprise horror film on tonight.  Mrs Boy loves a horror so I thought what a lovely date night idea...

In a Violent Nature

By some distance the worst film I've ever seen in a cinema.  Imagine a dogshit slasher homage that's "artistically" shot in 4:3.  A zombie steampunk minion slowly walks after, and murders, the teens in the woods.  People that thought this was good should be put on a register as this is an actual crime against humanity.

Unintentional hilarity:

Reveal hidden contents

The sole survivor is picked up by someone who waffles unendingly to the point that you think the survivor has lapsed into a coma to escape the story.

That's disappointing to hear, I was really looking forward to this!

Finally had the time to go and see The Fall Guy today whilst it was still at the cinema.

As most have already said, just a wonderfully fun film and love letter to the Stunt industry. The time really flew over for me and it never once outstayed its welcome.

Fantastic cast. Ryan Gosling in any sort of comedic role is flawless, he is just so likeable that you can’t even get angry that he gets to make out with Emily Blunt AND then go home to Eva Mendes.

Aaron Taylor-Johnson was very good, as was Duke, Blunt and Waddingham. Would’ve liked Stephanie Hsu to have a slightly bigger role though.

I’ll definitely be rewatching this once a year.

• Paid Members
45 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

That's disappointing to hear, I was really looking forward to this!

It gets a decent RT score.  I think they're wrong, on a visceral level, but there is some love for it.

Spoiler

If you like gory kills the kills are very gory.  You won't care about the people being killed, the motivation, or be able to contain a laugh that murder zombie looks like a minion, but you could be impressed by the volume of claret and internal organs on screen.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Watched Axel F. 

I'm not going mad here am I. There's some very odd stuff going on with the editing of this movie and I can't quite figure out why. 

I'm 90% sure that an entire scene between Kevin Bacon and Eddie Murphy was shot without them being in the same room and theres just random bits that clip dialogue mid way through a sentence (or end when there's obviously something else about to be said) and at one point they used the same cut away reaction of him twice one after another. All small things bit it was very odd to watch. Same thing happens in the scene with the uncle, literally one shot of them all in the booth together then zero interaction and back of the stand ins head. 

I get the feeling that Eddie went full on back to his 80s movie star roots and filmed his bits and then left and had everyone film the coverage without him. 

Edited by chokeout

• Paid Members
On 7/3/2024 at 10:05 PM, johnnyboy said:

In a Violent Nature

By some distance the worst film I've ever seen in a cinema. 

I had the same experience, saw it the same night as a "scream unseen" mystery film and hated it. I truly love it when someone tries something different but this was not it. 

I saw it self described as an "ambient horror" and the accuracy of that description is the best thing about the film.

• Paid Members
On 7/2/2024 at 10:28 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

It's got a really eclectic library, much different from all the other streamers, looking forward to finally being able to access it.

It’s got Mancunian Man on it.  Been waiting to see this for ages.

On 7/3/2024 at 10:05 PM, johnnyboy said:

Cineworld had a "Secret Screaming" surprise horror film on tonight.

In a Violent Nature

I didn't hate In a Violent Nature and quite liked the idea of a slasher film (mostly) from the perspective of the killer. That said a lot of the film is just watching the killer walk through the woods for extended periods of time, but it's bloody, it's violent and there are some good kills. For me it was a decent 90-minute horror film even with it's flaws, but it could have been better. 

Sting
An entertaining creature-feature horror film, about a young girl who secretly raises a spider as her pet, which then grows larger and attacks everyone in her apartment block.

Infested
A really good French creature-feature killer-spider horror film that is tense with good spider effects, mixing the urban feel of films like Attack the Block and [REC] with Arachnophobia. It could have done with a stronger ending, but it's a worthwhile watch with some effective horror sequences.

Hardcore Henry
A really good sci-fi action film that is all-out action from start to finish and just a whole lot of fun. There is very little story and no depth to the characters, but it's stupidly OTT and really entertaining.

Nobody
A good action movie that is a lot of fun, with some entertaining action sequences and a good cast. 

The Munsters
The look of the film is alright, but the film itself is really, really bad. It's badly made, poorly written, tiresome to watch and has a boring story.

Horror in the High Desert & Horror in the High Desert 2: Minerva
Slow and unimpressive found-footage films, where not much happens for about the first hour and then it gets slightly more interesting for the last 15-minutes or so. 

The Last Stop in Yuma County
A good crime thriller with an interesting story and good characters.

Relic (2020)
It's well acted but it's also a pretty average psychological horror film. Has an interesting idea but the film doesn't develop in the most interesting of ways and it only really picks up towards the end. 

Drive Away Dolls
A really basic, overly familiar crime-caper road-film that is neither as fun nor as entertaining as it should be. 

• Paid Members

Kill (cinema)

Amazing. Just relentlessly brutal and shocking action film from India, with the advantage that it's not 4 hours long and doesn't have any song and dance numbers. Some surprisingly great character work and the fight choreography is some of the best you'll see. Do yourself a favour and try and catch it on a big screen.

Arlington Road

Its reputation of being a decent suspense thriller with a quite brilliant ending is well earned. I really hate Tim Robbins though and he's almost always shit and I wish he wasn't in this.

Deadly Illusion (1987) (YouTube)

Billy Dee Williams in a weird but funny cross between a serial killer thriller and an action comedy. Frequently very funny, Billy Dee is an absolute treasure, and Divine was absolutely stunning. Junk but fun with it.

Limbo (2023)

Australian mystery set in the outback about a drug addict investigator looking into a cold case. I thought this was excellent - slow-moving but the story is engaging and Simon Baker is really superb in the lead.

City of Fear (YouTube)

Largely forgotten suspense thriller about a prison escapee who doesn't know he's carrying a radioactive package. The same director did Murder by Contract, which Scorsese has heavily championed, but this is far, far better and is a really interesting twist on the noir.

The Outlaws / The Roundup / The Roundup: No Way Out

Korean action crime series with the awesome Ma Dong-seok. Gets better as it goes on and packs in more action but they're all solid and entertaining. There's a fourth one that just came out too that I'm watching tomorrow.

• Paid Members

Theater Camp (Disney+)

Really funny quirky comedy about a financially struggling theater camp that has to try and survive while it’s owner is in a coma. 
It’s very much in the same style as something like a Napoleon Dynamite where it’s just low-key nonsense and punchy one-liners, except mixed with some Wes Anderson style presentation and a class ensemble cast. 

Really worth a watch.

Kill looks class, I think I might go see the that instead of whatever shite Ti West has done to finish the trilogy. The things I do for Mia Goth...

Midsommer - It's beautiful, powerful and weird as hell but it just never clicked with me like it should, something in the back of my head just doesn't like Ari Aster or maybe how he's held up as some god of "elevated horror".

A Quiet Place - Stupid as hell but enjoyable enough, I don't feel the need to watch the sequel or prequel though.

Spencer - Ok, so this one hit me way harder than I'd thought it would, I went in blind and didn't expect a great psychological horror that took cues from the 1981 masterpiece Possession. Don't go in expecting a biographical piece on Princess Diana.

K-Stew is perfect.

In A Violent Nature - I actually loved this to bits, I didn't really see it as pretentious and just thought it was a fun twist on the stale slasher genre. If anything I could have had it be even slower with more tension towards the gruesome kills. *Insert Twin Peaks sweeping scene reference*

Saltburn - Not half as explicit as the online hype had it seem, this is no Salo. I think I was a bit mean with my **1/2 letterboxd score.. it's actually a gorgeous looking and slick film, stellar casting and big boy Barry shines as ever. There's just enough grossness for a mainstream film.

Edited by Merzbow

Anyone got Longlegs booked? Absolutely fascinated by the marketing and everything. I've become quite a wuss over the years when I used to watch stuff like that all the time, but I'll be interested to see what people think.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Anyone got Longlegs booked? Absolutely fascinated by the marketing and everything. I've become quite a wuss over the years when I used to watch stuff like that all the time, but I'll be interested to see what people think.

I just come back from a viewing. 

Bad choice for a birthday film let me tell you. But I went in completely cold, hearing some hype but avoiding trailers and such. Firstly, for a 15 it REALLY pushes the envelope. One of the darkest, creepiest films I have seen in, well I don't know. It looks fantastic (although I found it a little too dark at times to see key details), Nic Cage is obviously insane, but it is going to stay with me for a long time. A few jump scares, lots of tension, but yeah Longlegs is going to stay with me for a while.

Fun fact, directed by the son of Anthony "Psycho" Perkins. 

@Merzbow RE: Saltburn. No you weren't too harsh. You are right in that its a gorgeous film, but the plot and pacing is crap, I thought Promising Young Woman was a better overall film.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members
57 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Going to see it next week on Mubi Go. Can't wait. I'm generally mixed on Oz Perkins but like you say, the marketing has been sensational. Couple that with Cage being back to form and Maika Monroe being in it, and I'm expecting it to be excellent.