VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

32 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Having another quick scan of 1999 releases, I'd say The Straight Story and Topsy Turvy are all time great films to see, if you haven't already. 

Not seen either, cheers!

7 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Deep Blue Sea!

As a huge LL fan as a teen, I am certain I saw that at the cinema when it came out. 

It's on the list!

21 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

North by Northwest (cinema!)

Still obviously one of the greatest movies ever made. And one of the funniest too.

Always cracks me up when he escapes from his captors and he's in the phone box talking to his mum.

No. No, Mother, I have not been drinking. No. No. These two men, they poured a whole bottle of bourbon into me............... No, they didn't give me a chaser!

• Paid Members

According to Letterboxd, my top 10 films of 1999 are:-

1. Magnolia
  2. Eyes Wide Shut
  3. Drop Dead Gorgeous
  4. The Insider
  5. The Iron Giant
  6. American Beauty
  7. Audition
  8. The Straight Story
  9. Kikujiro
  10. The Debt Collector

@SuperBacon If you haven't seen them already, you'll love Drop Dead Gorgeous and Kikujiro especially.

10 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

According to Letterboxd, my top 10 films of 1999 are:-

1. Magnolia
  2. Eyes Wide Shut
  3. Drop Dead Gorgeous
  4. The Insider
  5. The Iron Giant
  6. American Beauty
  7. Audition
  8. The Straight Story
  9. Kikujiro
  10. The Debt Collector

@SuperBacon If you haven't seen them already, you'll love Drop Dead Gorgeous and Kikujiro especially.

Love Drop Dead Gorgeous, never seen Kikujiro. Cheers.

1 minute ago, Magnum Milano said:

I second Audition.

According to my Letterbox I've only watched five films from 1999 and that is one of them.  I'm guessing you've seen East is East?  My other recommendation would be Election starring Matthew Broderick and Reese Witherspoon.

Oh yeah, East Is East one of the best British films and my favourite Payne movie is Election.

I think it watch it once a year so rude not to.

Can't remember if I've seen Audition.

• Paid Members

Hit Man - really stupid and terrible. Tonally all over the place, bafflingly dumb story that defies logic at every turn, zero chemistry between the leads. I have no idea what emotional response this film is aiming to get out of the audience. It's not funny, thrilling, intelligent, tense or sexy.  Zero stars.

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Hit Man - really stupid and terrible. Tonally all over the place, bafflingly dumb story that defies logic at every turn, zero chemistry between the leads. I have no idea what emotional response this film is aiming to get out of the audience. It's not funny, thrilling, intelligent, tense or sexy.  Zero stars.

You should watch Argyle, you’ll love it

I rewatched American Beauty for the first time in about twenty years the other day. Even putting all the Kevin Spacey stuff aside, it was a kind of weird watch, seeing a movie hinge on its 42 year-old hero's lust for a schoolgirl and a lot of very creepy behaviour in general. It's still pretty good, but it did shock me how dated it felt in terms of its attitudes around sex/consent stuff. I feel like if it came out today it'd be pretty rightfully derided.

• Paid Members

Watched I Saw The TV Glow last night and I haven't stopped thinking about it since. Laser targeted at kids who grew up queer (especially trans) in the '90's, I love when what's on-screen feels like the director opening their own heart up to you and this one wormed it's way into me from the beginning - several times a character would do or say something and my wife & housemate would both point at me and say "That's you"

Justice Smith in particular is electric in this, delivers a really quiet, affecting performance. Will be a while before I stop thinking about this one.