VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

5 hours ago, Loki said:

A League Of Their Own (1992)

Typically American mawkish sentimentality aside, this was a good ensemble cast putting on a funny, sometimes poignant story.  A bit like with Bigelow, it's fun to see the female gaze take on a usually very macho genre (sports movies).  Probably Penny Marshall's best film, depending on how you feel about Awakenings.

I love this film. I always give it a watch when I need my fix of Geena Davis.

• Paid Members

Migration - I'm not a fan of Illumination at all so thought this was quite a pleasant surprise. Some decent gags and an inspired choice of having the villain based on Salt Bae puts this in the upper midcard of American animation of the past few years.

The Beekeeper - The whole bee stuff is laboured and makes no sense, but outside of that this is a perfectly decent actioner with Statham in top arse-kicking mode. It doesn't reach the heights of Nobody or John Wick but not much does.

I also went along to a screening of Days Of Heaven at an arts centre near me. First time ever watching it and I'm not sure why it's held in such high acclaim. It was... okay? It looks nice but not much happens and it feels about half hour longer than it is.

58 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

I also went along to a screening of Days Of Heaven at an arts centre near me. First time ever watching it and I'm not sure why it's held in such high acclaim. It was... okay? It looks nice but not much happens and it feels about half hour longer than it is.

If this was all I had to go on I’d probably name you any of Terrence Malicks films.

Edited by Mr_Danger

Barbie (first watch) - the scenes in Barbieworld were much more enjoyable than the ones in the real world. Too much Will Ferrell, not enough mermaid Cena. 3/5

I followed this up with an unlikely second part of a double feature, I suggest you all try it…

Oppenheimer (first watch) - didn’t reach the heights of previous Nolan for me (Interstellar), but pisses all over Tenet. Excellent cast, Murphy and Downey Jr particularly. The tension building up in the Los Alamos test scene was superb. Didn’t feel like 3 hours, I can see myself coming back to this again over the years. 4/5

About Time (first watch) - some more Margot Robbie, with added Rachel McAdams (isn’t she just lovely?). You know what to expect with a Richard Curtis film, but the relationship between Domnhall Gleeson and Bill Nighy really got to me. Fuck you Curtis, you heartstring tugging goon. 4/5

The Big Sleep (first watch) - I wasn’t as enamoured with this as I have other film noirs, such as The Maltese Falcon and Double Indemnity (my personal favourite). He should have ended up with the girl in the bookshop instead of Lauren Bacall. Poor choice, Bogey. 3/5

• Members
8 minutes ago, Dr. Alan Grant said:

About Time (first watch) - some more Margot Robbie, with added Rachel McAdams (isn’t she just lovely?). You know what to expect with a Richard Curtis film, but the relationship between Domnhall Gleeson and Bill Nighy really got to me. Fuck you Curtis, you heartstring tugging goon. 4/5

I love a time loop film, but I thought this was absolutely shit, and a bit creepy as well.

8 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I love a time loop film, but I thought this was absolutely shit, and a bit creepy as well.

Yeah, I remember thinking, "that guy guy needs to read some Spider-Man - with great power comes great responsibility and all that". The whole time he's using this power to manipulate a woman into sex and rig the legal system in his favour. Agreed that the Bill Nighy stuff was good though.

8 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Creepy in the sense that the guy is basically manipulating her by using his prior knowledge to win her over? “I love Kate Moss, you do too? Oh wow, we have so much in common!” It’s a problem with a lot of romcoms, weird behaviour disguised as charming or romantic. Doubly so with a time travel element. Not sure how many of those there are actually, outside of this and Groundhog Day. But even in that one, Bill Murray is using his knowledge of her to present himself as her ideal man. I overlook this sort of stuff for the most part because I’m easily won over by the leads in romcoms. I am a grade A sucker. 

• Members
1 minute ago, Dr. Alan Grant said:

I overlook this sort of stuff for the most part because I’m easily won over by the leads in romcoms. I am a grade A sucker. 

Yeah so am I, but I just remember this having a bit more of a sinister edge than Groundhog Day, and I didn't like it at all.

Heartland 

A rather brutal film about a widow and her young daughter travelling to keep the house for a rancher in Wyoming in the early 1900s. Stars Rip Torn (doing a Scottish accent) and Conchata Ferrell. It's a tough watch at times, but really well done and engrossing. One of the more realistic depictions of the realties of ranch life (especially during that era) that I've seen. Directed by Richard Pearce, who made another cracking little film (Country, starring Jessica Lange and Sam Shepard) a few years later. Not one to watch if you want cheering up.

Norwood

Glenn Campbell plays the titular Norwood, who has just returned home from Vietnam and wants to give being a country music singer a shot. A decent enough road movie that sees him travel from Texas to New York and back, meeting various characters along the way. Not great or anything, but there's good songs by Campbell and Mac Davis and it's an overall enjoyable, quirky curio. 

Three Days of the Condor

70s political paranoia film directed by Sydney Pollack and starring Robert Redford and Faye Dunaway. Not the best from this particular sub-genre, but very well made and well acted. It draws you in more and more as it goes on and does a good job of creating suspense and raising the stakes for Redford's protagonist. 

Edited by SaitoRyo
WIDOW

9 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Sorry but the typo of widow to window really changes the perception of that movie ?

But yeah tough watch. Don't think I could do it again.

Ha! Good spot. Could be Pixar's latest, based on that description...

All of us strangers: part of the story had me crying into my burrito near the end, it was touching and beautiful. I didn’t find the love story part compelling, because the love interest bloke reminded me of people I tangentially knew at uni that I didn’t like. Overall it just felt like it was trying to cover too much ground and lost a bit of its way, especially the very end, which just seemed gratuitously sad. Even though I understand why he did it, I don’t agree that it the best way to end the film.

Worth watching for the arc about main character and his parents. 

AND JUSTICE FOR ALL Inspired by Norman Jewison's recent death, I popped this on. I love this film. It's part comedy and part really angry drama. Pacino in the 70s is on another level to anyone. His run in that period is up there with the best.