VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

6 minutes ago, Thunderplex said:

I know I’m in the minority, but I cannot fucking stand Wes Anderson films.  

Didn’t PITCOS once say “You say that now but wait until you see a guy with trousers that match the wallpaper” when defending Anderson? Something along those lines. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Thunderplex said:

I read this and said I'll have a look at the filmography as there wasn't a whole pile jumping to my head right away. I know why now. I haven't seen a single one of his movies. Reading through the list - that's not going to change. None of them are anything I would watch of my own accord, going by the "read the back of the box" test. 

21 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Bottoms: I wasn't sure how I'd feel about this at first, if starts of like it could be a bit too "lolrandom" but quickly becomes a very funny new take on the teen sex comedy with just the right amount of Gen Z surrealism. I'm not sure I can truly buy Rachel Sennott as a teenager but she's the best (outside of the film she has the most chaotic energy, too, I'm in love) and Ayo Edebiri is just as great in her role.

This wasn't for me when I watched it a few weeks ago, but Rachel Sennott was my favourite thing about it by a country mile.

I had a desire to watch all the American Pie films recently (I'd only previously seen the first two), so here you go.

American Pie (1999)

Four friends make a pact to lose their virginities before they graduate from high school. Boy, does this film take me back! Features the grossest and crudest of humour, which you can’t believe they’re going there with, but they do. Finch and the laxative scene had me in laugh-out-loud hysterics.

American Pie 2 (2001)

After finishing their College freshman year, Jim, Oz, Kevin and Finch, along with Stifler, decide to rent a beach house on Lake Michigan for the summer. Better than what I remembered, even if a lot of the jokes and comedy feels regurgitated from the first film. 

American Wedding (2003)

Where was Oz? One of Jim’s best friends not a groomsman, not at the wedding and not even mentioned? The film, which follows Jim’s proposal upto the nuptuals, still has some funny moments but I’m glad they did the Reunion as this would’ve been a damp squib to end things on.

American Pie Presents: Band Camp (2005)

The first of the spin-off movies sees Stiffler’s younger brother, Matt, get sent to Band Camp after a prank during the Seniors Graduation Day goes too far. Enjoyed this much more than I expected, not that it’s overly good mind. Jim’s Dad gets shoehorned into proceedings as a camp counsellor.

American Pie Presents: The Naked Mile (2006)

When Erik Stifler, a cousin of Steve and Matt's, who fails to live up to the family name, gets invited to his cousin Dwight’s College frat house, his girlfriend gives him a free pass for the weekend. This was terrible, jokes about midgets and erections. Jeez! The lead is a charisma vacuum and his co-stars no better.

American Pie Presents: Beta House (2007)

Having enrolled at the University of Michigan, which is where he visited in the previous movie, Erik Stifler pledges to the Beta fraternity while Dwight does battle with the Geek house. Jim’s Dad with yet another pointless cameo. It’s a slight improvement on the Naked Mile, but not by much.

American Pie Presents: The Book of Love (2009)

A new crop of students at East Great Falls High School discover “The Bible” and think it will help them get laid. The latest Stifler family member, who looks about 35, is awful, while him getting raped by a moose is an all-time low. Lots of recycled material from the previous films. Terrible.

American Reunion (2012)

What school has a thirteen-year reunion?  That's by the by as after the dross of the "Presents" series, the franchise is back on form as Jim, Finch, Kevin, Stifler and Oz (yes, Oz!) reunite for their High School reunion. It's a toss up between this and the first movie over which is my favourite. Would've been nice for Jessica to be featured more.

American Pie Presents: Girls' Rules (2020)

Twenty minutes of this was enough for me. It looked even worse than The Book of Love and I didn't want to stomach another hour plus of it. Didn't even bother to add it to my Letterbox.

Final Rankings: 1, Reunion, 2, Band Camp, Wedding, Beta House, Naked Mile, Book of Love, Girls’ Rules

I also watched A Taste of Honey a couple of nights ago. It's set in Salford and follows the life of schoolgirl Jo, played superbly by Rita Tushingham.  She lives with her mother, played by Dora Bryan who is just wonderful, and the two have just great interplay together. Jo gets pregnant by a sailor and ends up living with her best friend, Geoffrey, who is pretty clearly a closeted homosexual, but who wants to marry Jo and bring up the child with her. Geoffrey is the best and I was gutted for him at the end when the mother, who had gone off and married some rich dandy, only to return to her daughter's life when her fella moved onto a younger model. I thought this was a fantastic watch.

2 hours ago, Thunderplex said:

I've enjoyed his stuff in the past, but I've always had a reaction 'that was nice' after watching one of his films. I've never once revisited one of his films after watching it (I think I've seen maybe five of them). 

From memory, Bottle Rocket was the best of 'em.

The Wife ™️wanted to watch the Henry Sugar short on Netflix the other week. She fell asleep within two minutes and I had to turn it off after five as it was just way too twee for my liking. 

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, Magnum Milano said:

I had a desire to watch all the American Pie films recently (I'd only previously seen the first two), so here you go.

Bloody hell, and I thought @SuperBacon's current project was an exercise in self-hatred!

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I watched all the Pie films maybe last year or year before, but even I drew the line at the "Presents" ones.

Fucking nutter.

I watched all the Wrong Turn films in a day once, so clearly we're all in the same mentally ill boat here.

Edited by Devon Malcolm