VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Malignant. James Wan eases off the jump scares a bit. Started shite but got a bit entertaining when the ridiculousness started taking over. Some laugh out loud moments, albeit unintentional one I presume. 

Yeah, first half shite, the rest of it bloody ridiculously great.

Spoiler

Let out a massive cheer when Gabriel threw that chair at that cop in that police station massacre, what a scene.

Wayne's World

I never liked it the first time around and time hasn't changed my opinion, it's still as shit as ever.  Always puzzled me how this was popular back in the day.

Plus we all had that one friend that would quote the shitty one liners and jokes from it.

Also did Kurt Fuller play a TV executive type role in almost every movie he was in? 

spacer.png

Both Waynes Worlds are fucking excellent and have actually aged pretty well.

Master and Commander

Even better than I remembered. Crowe is absolutely charming as Aubrey and it deserved more sequels.

Enemy Of The State

Stupidly fun film, and Hackman is always a delight. The cast is so late 90s (Barry Pepper, Jason Lee, Seth Green, Jamie Kennedy, Bulldog from Frasier) its wonderful to see.

A Rainy Day In New York

Saved by Elle Fanning, Timothee Chalamet (doing a credible young Woody impression) and Selena Gomez, but otherwise drivel.

To Rome With Love

Forgot just how much I detest Jesse Eisenberg as an actor. This was awful. 

The Death Of Stalin

Absolutely wonderful. Paul Whitehouse should be in more films. 

The Mighty Ducks 1, 2 and 3

They're all still OK. I'd never seen the 3rd one and it was fine, but I think 2 is my favourite. 

Moonrise Kingdom

What a gem. Gone straight in at number 2 in my Wes chart (Rushmore is always number 1). Bruce Willis best performance (apart from Die Hard 2 obvs :) )

• Awards Moderator
21 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:Enemy Of The State

Enemy Of The State 

Stupidly fun film, and Hackman is always a delight. The cast is so late 90s (Barry Pepper, Jason Lee, Seth Green, Jamie Kennedy, Bulldog from Frasier) its wonderful to see.

It’s such a wonderful film. So many things going on and it just doesn’t let up. I’d argue it’s one of Will Smith’s best turns. But Gene Hackman is, well, Gene Hackman and steals it.

Ghostbusters Afterlife - loved this, i thought it was brilliant. The right enough fan service everything just hit for me.  Mckenna Grace was a terrific bit of casting to play Egon's granddaughter i thought 

Godzilla vs Kong - watched this in 4k with my surround sound system with the Dolby Atmos audio and it looked and sounded incredible. Preety good film as well just what you would expect from a summer blockbuster

Initiation - watched this on amazon prime, there's a good slasher film in there somewhere but it was so dam slow, nothing happens for the first 30mins. Some brutal kills mind but, yeah way to slow the 90mins run time seemed like 2hrs

Gifted - Really good drama this starring chris evans and a top performance from Mckenna Grace. 

Upgrade - this was awesome, loved it. Nice and violent and gave me proper Robocop and Terminator vibes. Apparently there will be a sequel but in the form of a tv series

The Paper Tigers (sky cinema) - i was looking forward to this especially going by the reviews on Letterboxd but, i was bitterly disappointed. It tried to be Cobra Kai too much, the jokes fell flat and it was boring and dragged too much for me. The fight scenes were nicely choreographed but that's all the film had going for it 

• Paid Members

I keep meaning to try and get the new Godzilla movies watched. I presume it'd be handy to watch Kong Skull Island as well, but not necessarily the Jackson King Kong movie?

5 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I keep meaning to try and get the new Godzilla movies watched. I presume it'd be handy to watch Kong Skull Island as well, but not necessarily the Jackson King Kong movie?

You could watch every Godzilla and Kong film ever made in the time it takes to watch the Jackson one. 

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

Ignore Jackson, but Kong of Skull Island is essential in the build to Godzilla Vs Kong (alongside Godzilla and Godzilla: King of Monsters).

I'm well versed in the art of ignoring Peter Jackson.