VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Awards Moderator
8 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I watched this, Moana, and Frozen in the last few days, having got a Disney subscription for a month to watch some movies with my daughter over the Xmas holiday.

Lin Manuel Miranda is not very good at writing catchy Disney musical numbers on the whole. Frozen had so many more memorable tunes, even though I preferred the story in both the other films.

Moana is definitely the best of the three, but I’ve had probably four or five Encanto songs cycling in and out of my head since we saw it last month, so definitely found them catchy. Frozen, however - I can remember Let It Go but I knew that one before I saw it. I couldn’t tell you any other songs from it or hum any of the tunes.

(I am a Lin-Manuel Miranda fan though so may be more predisposed)

I'm not sure what THE MATRIX RESURRECTIONS some of you saw. Its...OK-ish. There's some genuinely terrible moments in it and the action was pretty flat. Reeves and Moss are still good, and the villain made sort of sense. But I just came out thinking 'whats the point?'. Still we have the first one. That's all we ever needed. 

21 minutes ago, Factotum said:

I'm not sure what THE MATRIX RESURRECTIONS some of you saw. Its...OK-ish. There's some genuinely terrible moments in it and the action was pretty flat. Reeves and Moss are still good, and the villain made sort of sense. But I just came out thinking 'whats the point?'. Still we have the first one. That's all we ever needed. 

I tend to agree. Just seemed pointless other than it existing to just give us more Matrix which would be fine if there was an appetite for more Matrix but there isn’t and it sure as hell doesn’t fix the shitberg sequels. A fun nostalgia trip and the new actors/characters were pretty good additions but overall it’s just another messy Wachowski film. What a disappointment they’ve been as film makers coming off the back of Bound and The Matrix.

I liked V for Vendetta, but I've never read the graphic novel. I also think it's the least Wachowski of their movies. It's just - I don't know - standard issue. Decent and rewatchable. 

Their post Bound/Matrix work will always have street cred with me for Cloud Atlas. I'll die defending that film, with a smile on my face over the sheer knowledge that Hugo Weaving's performances exist in it. 

All in all they're mostly terrible but it's oddly compelling seeing what they come up with next when studios continue to throw 150 million dollars at them. 

32 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

I liked V for Vendetta, but I've never read the graphic novel. I also think it's the least Wachowski of their movies.

No snark intended but is that because they didn’t direct it? I know they wrote the screenplay and their influence was over it  

Personally, I think overall they’re shite. They’re like a band that released one great album, one good album, and loads of shit albums. 

4 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

No snark intended but is that because they didn’t direct it? I know they wrote the screenplay and their influence was over it  

Personally, I think overall they’re shite. They’re like a band that released one great album, one good album, and loads of shit albums. 

Ah yes, you're right! That explains it. 

And leave Oasis out of this. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

They've only done one good film, Bound, the rest are over-stylised high concept shite. But I hope this new one does well because we kinda need it to.

It's almost as big a myth that Bound is a good film than the Matrix is a masterpiece. Bound is interesting but ultimately only alright. The Matrix is a really good superhero movie. (I understand that's an oxymoron to you)

IMO Speed Racer is good Shallow fun. Like watching a super expensive kaleidoscope.

13 hours ago, DEF said:

IMO Speed Racer is good Shallow fun. Like watching a super expensive kaleidoscope.

I saw Speed Racer alone in a cinema during a lazy day of no lectures and genuinely thought it was pretty dumb, great fun. I have never watched it again as it probably isn't.

16 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

But I hope this new one does well because we kinda need it to.

It hasn't. A combination of Spider-man, the fact it's available on HBO Max in the US and plus I don't think people care that much about THE MATRIX anymore. WB's HBO Max release day/date really has been a terrible failure, DUNE aside. 

Saw WEST SIDE STORY yesterday on a whim. Fuck me its spectacular looking. I don't really like musicals (UKFF cheap Pop) but I was taken with just how brilliant it looked. Spielberg can fucking shoot a film. 

I saw The Matrix Resurrections today, and I think I loved it. 

This is not yet another Matrix film. This is a story about the Matrix characters through the eyes of an older viewer who genuinely cares about them and to whom they mean a lot.

The little new ideas are thought-provoking (the visualisation of digital self image hit me surprisingly hard, as a guy bearing 40 but still seeing his uni self with a few more creases in the mirror every day). The meta references by and large serve the story and put us into the headscape of the characters, and are cleverly subverted or twisted in amusing ways.

The action IS fairly perfunctory, but that seemed to me to be part of the point - the fighting was not important to the story being told here, which was the much more personal one between Neo and Trinity. The fight scene in the middle of the film is the only major misstep, in my opinion - just a half baked mess of shoehorned oldies and headache-inducing, hyperactive cutting.

The final straight, if not particularly high stakes, is absolutely mental. Crucially, Trinity no longer felt like a cipher to enable Neo on his hero's journey, but a compelling, important and dominant figure, the real queen on the board to Neo's king.

Anyone going into this expecting another cinematic milestone or genre game changer, like many reviewers I've read, is going to be massively disappointed. If you want answers to Big Questions, or bold overt statements on the current socio-political climate, then you'll have to be satisfied with sly observations and cool moments leaving you to fill in the blanks. This is a story of old lost souls reconnecting with themselves and each other, set in a version of a 20-year-old scifi world. The new characters have a blast playing in the sandbox. Reeves and Moss genuinely nearly moved me to tears at various points, and this is coming from someone who thinks the second two films were absolute toss. Unlike Spider-Man No Way Home, I didn't feel exhausted by the end, and actually am already wondering about seeing it again.